Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Porta Potti: a good idea or not?

We put our porta potty in the awning for night time use ideal

Have to say I was a bit sceptical on using ours but after our two trips with it, especially with the current crisis, I wouldn’t be without it.

Even when campsites create a really good set up on site, it doesn’t always mean that the campers follow the rules. I felt quite uncomfortable at our first site (I’m a doctor = stickler for social distancing rules), so we just used the toilet, in our new toilet tent, and could then relax for the rest of our break knowing we were as safe as we could be.

My only learning is that the 10l waste tank doesn’t last long with the 2-3l of solution they recommend, and then a family of four using it, but I still wouldn’t be without it.

Am wondering if I can reduce the waste tank solution to less than the recommended 2l and maybe increase the concentration of my flush tank to compensate. I use Elsan organic, which works in both tanks. Will have to see if any experienced people on the forum know the answer to that one!

If I ever invest in a mattress that can be used with the rear shelf on the higher setting, I’ll get something with bigger tank volumes, but for now my 335 will be a must have item on the kit list.

Have to say I was a bit sceptical on using ours but after our two trips with it, especially with the current crisis, I wouldn’t be without it.

Even when campsites create a really good set up on site, it doesn’t always mean that the campers follow the rules. I felt quite uncomfortable at our first site (I’m a doctor = stickler for social distancing rules), so we just used the toilet, in our new toilet tent, and could then relax for the rest of our break knowing we were as safe as we could be.

My only learning is that the 10l waste tank doesn’t last long with the 2-3l of solution they recommend, and then a family of four using it, but I still wouldn’t be without it.

Am wondering if I can reduce the waste tank solution to less than the recommended 2l and maybe increase the concentration of my flush tank to compensate. I use Elsan organic, which works in both tanks. Will have to see if any experienced people on the forum know the answer to that one!

If I ever invest in a mattress that can be used with the rear shelf on the higher setting, I’ll get something with bigger tank volumes, but for now my 335 will be a must have item on the kit list.
I’ve used these portapotties for years and I never adhered to the 2-3 ltr water dilution advice. It just takes up too much space in an already small waste tank. We find that a cupful of water with a cupful of a aquakem initially and then rely on number 1’s to do the rest. Never had any problems at all.

We have only used it for 1s
But after emptying we give is a splash of dettol surface cleaner and a swill through.
So far, so good...

If caught short and needed to use in anger. I would throw a cup full of the chemical down the trap...

We got one this year and kept it in the boot with a toilet tent outside when on sites, I too was skeptical but wouldn't be without it now.

Much better than walking to the campsite loos and helps if your not squeamish when emptying although we only use for number 1s unless on a site that have closed facilities due to Covid..

We never wanted one.
Never needed one.
Got one because of Covid-19.
Will probably always take it along now.

At night, in the early morning and for the kids, it's just easier.

We’ve been giving the purchase of a Porta Potti 335 some thought of late. We know that some people erect a dedicated “toilet tent” in which to house the toilet and we can understand their thinking!; however, if you had to use the toilet inside the Cali, is there sufficient room to accommodate the toilet between the front seats and the downstairs bed, when assembled? We’ve read quite a few reviews of said toilet which say it’s a very good piece of kit but people have found that they just don’t use it, once they’ve made the purchase. Any responses will be welcome. Many thanks.
Probably the best bit of kit we have purchased. Easy to use, clean and no odour. It certainly adds much extra comfort when needed and avoids the need to use smelly/dirty public loos. Yes it will just fit (sideways) behind
bottom extended bed and front seats.

It’s all down to a matter of choice. I would sooner have a pee in a porta potti in the middle of the night Than walk 150 yards in the rain and mud But then I suppose I could take an umbrella, wetsuit and wellies..Nah me thinks porta potti..
Not desirable in the van, but even a number 2 is better in the portapotti than the same scenario with the added inconvenience of remembering your trowel/spade and digging a hole!

Oh for the holding in capacity of my youth: the days when I could last a whole day with only the odd tinkle behind a bush. Nowadays, like a toddler being potty trained, I need a "check wee" before leaving the van. Then there's the between service stations emergency tinkles and the middle of the night wakeup where you can't get back to sleep for fear of wetting the bed, no matter how hard you try to convince yourself you don't need one.

If you're too young to be there yet, don't worry it'll just creep up on you! So you may as well get some practice now!

Oh for the holding in capacity of my youth: the days when I could last a whole day with only the odd tinkle behind a bush. Nowadays, like a toddler being potty trained, I need a "check wee" before leaving the van. Then there's the between service stations emergency tinkles and the middle of the night wakeup where you can't get back to sleep for fear of wetting the bed, no matter how hard you try to convince yourself you don't need one.

If you're too young to be there yet, don't worry it'll just creep up on you! So you may as well get some practice now!
We’ve made our choice and it’s definitely porta potti over pampers....

Also very useful when on a C&MH club site when the facilities are shut for 2 hours for cleaning & then with the current wristband system you can have a long wait for the toilet if people are using the showers.

Portapotty or not? There is no right answer. Just go with what works for you. If you think one might be useful, buy one. If you don't think you will use one, don't buy one.

I'm not sure, but I don't think most people poo at night, so all we have is a small lidded pot (about 9" in diameter, 6" tall) for peeing. Campsite facilities for pooing. On the road in extreme emergencies a folding Bivvy Loo.

Bivvy Loo (3).jpg

Bivvy Loo (2).jpg

Like many others we have owned one for about 7 years (owned the Cali SE since new since 2011), sometimes taken away with us to music festivals or countries where you can only wild camp if you have 'facilities', but never used.
However all changed this year: just returned from camping in Heredfordshire where we used it for the first time. It was fine, does just fit between the end of the bed and the passanger seat. Kept in the boot during the day. Only used the chemicals on the first night as they smelt worse than anything else! We use the undersink cupboard for pots & pans. We will buy a toilet tent as it would be easier to leave outside - now looking for a portable shower as we believe things will take some years to return to normal.
Sadly now an essential accessory if you plan to spend some time away.

I have been looking at them for our cali when it arrives. I had a measure of the 335 and to be honest, if I managed to sit on it, I wouldn't get up due to my "poorly" knees. If we get one, it will be the 365 as its a bit taller lol

Like many others we have owned one for about 7 years (owned the Cali SE since new since 2011), sometimes taken away with us to music festivals or countries where you can only wild camp if you have 'facilities', but never used.
However all changed this year: just returned from camping in Heredfordshire where we used it for the first time. It was fine, does just fit between the end of the bed and the passanger seat. Kept in the boot during the day. Only used the chemicals on the first night as they smelt worse than anything else! We use the undersink cupboard for pots & pans. We will buy a toilet tent as it would be easier to leave outside - now looking for a portable shower as we believe things will take some years to return to normal.
Sadly now an essential accessory if you plan to spend some time away.
As a matter of interest why are you smelling the toilet fluid chemicals? There shouldn’t be any odour from them as the waste tank is a sealed unit.

We bought a portapotti when we bought the van and when wild camping, we brought it into van from the boot overnight but never used it. We don’t generally need to pee at night and thought it took up a lot of space.

So we replaced it with a laundry liquid bottle and SheWee for pees first thing in the morning if we are wild camping. And a Bog in a Bag (stored in that space under the main seat, next to the big drawer, so we can access from indoors if we need it) for poos. We’ve never used it either but it takes up a lot less space than a portapotti.

Having camped and sailed a bit, we’ve found there’s actually quite a lot of loos around if you’re prepared to ask.

As a matter of interest why are you smelling the toilet fluid chemicals? There shouldn’t be any odour from them as the waste tank is a sealed unit.
It is sealed but the act of flushing releases the odour of the flush tank additive (both additives came with the Portapotti). Using just water in both tanks and emptying every day worked fine with current temperatures.

We’ve been giving the purchase of a Porta Potti 335 some thought of late. We know that some people erect a dedicated “toilet tent” in which to house the toilet and we can understand their thinking!; however, if you had to use the toilet inside the Cali, is there sufficient room to accommodate the toilet between the front seats and the downstairs bed, when assembled? We’ve read quite a few reviews of said toilet which say it’s a very good piece of kit but people have found that they just don’t use it, once they’ve made the purchase. Any responses will be welcome. Many thanks.
Used mine all the time

Bog in a Bag. No chemicals, always available, easily set up and takes up very little room. Can also be used as a footstool without the bag.

We had a T5 California for six years . Traded it in for a Hymer Car Free Campus earlier this year . Comes with onboard bathroom , never looked back .