Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Porta Potti: a good idea or not?

We have one and haven’t used it much recently, but it’s seen more service this year with many loos closed. Used for both calls of nature if needed. As long as there’s plenty of fluid, the contents break down ok. No loo roll in waste obvsly. I usually empty it down the toilet at home. Easily done - not pleasant but clean and quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I bag my loo roll, not as disgusting as some think. As dog owners we already bag dog pooh. It makes it so much easier to empty and cleaning is a cinch as nothing gets stuck in the corners.

I bag my loo roll, not as disgusting as some think. As dog owners we already bag dog pooh. It makes it so much easier to empty and cleaning is a cinch as nothing gets stuck in the corners.
Something we also do if we have to portapotti poo (as well as bag all the toilet paper) is wet wipe after. Not so necessary for us "careful" girlies, but avoids skidders in your grundies (you know who you are . . . . .)!

When we acquired our 8 year old Mercedes 306D Bariban in 1986 we thought that the built-in porta potti type toilet (can't say for definite it was a porta potti) was the height of sophistication after our Kombi, where we would have to look for a convenient spot to dig and bury the doings. I have been a fan ever since, wouldn't be without one, especially as I won £150 worth of toilet chemicals by giving a "tip" to a well known magazine. I've now got enough chemicals to see me through to 2030!

Something we also do if we have to portapotti poo (as well as bag all the toilet paper) is wet wipe after. Not so necessary for us "careful" girlies, but avoids skidders in your grundies (you know who you are . . . . .)!

This is getting to the stage of "too much information".
I'm reminded of my Corfu days where it was obligatory to place used toilet paper in a bin, the excuse being that the waste piping was so badly constructed it would block. I suspect that quite a few tourists would choose not to return a second time.

I never liked the idea of sitting on a fabric seat due to cross contamination.
The bag wraps over the fabric so you're sitting on plastic that you then thrown away. (Besides, too much hygiene makes you vulnerable to a lot of bad stuff.)

I’ve lost count of the number of foreign hotels I’ve visited over the years that ask you to do exactly the same with toilet paper. It’s no problem, you just get used to it.

This is getting to the stage of "too much information".
I'm reminded of my Corfu days where it was obligatory to place used toilet paper in a bin, the excuse being that the waste piping was so badly constructed it would block. I suspect that quite a few tourists would choose not to return a second time.
Been to some very remote African villages on charity house building trips. Toilet paper would have been a luxury beyond our wildest imaginings.

In my opinion, V, "never to much information". The more serious it gets the funnier it is. Toilet humour . . . ! (or is it just me?).

The bag wraps over the fabric so you're sitting on plastic that you then thrown away. (Besides, too much hygiene makes you vulnerable to a lot of bad stuff.)
Ah, I see, brilliant.

Personally I'm not a squeaky clean person and appreciate a bit of immune boosting.

My favourite trivia books (funny enough they live in the downstairs loo for long number 2 time) are: Why do farts smell like rotten eggs?, Why eating bogeys is good for you!', Why is snot green? and How much poo does an elephant do?
The first book I bought for my baby granddaughter was called "Noisy bottoms" it has a great story and a sound effects bar with different trump noises. She's 5 now and it's become our best "naughtie nanny" book for her and her little sister but it has to stay at my house and everyone else in the family thinks it's disgusting!

Ah, I see, brilliant.

Personally I'm not a squeaky clean person and appreciate a bit of immune boosting.

My favourite trivia books (funny enough they live in the downstairs loo for long number 2 time) are: Why do farts smell like rotten eggs?, Why eating bogeys is good for you!', Why is snot green? and How much poo does an elephant do?
The first book I bought for my baby granddaughter was called "Noisy bottoms" it has a great story and a sound effects bar with different trump noises. She's 5 now and it's become our best "naughtie nanny" book for her and her little sister but it has to stay at my house and everyone else in the family thinks it's disgusting!
All you need to know. The grandchildren love this book.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0241381452/?tag=eliteelect-21

Been to some very remote African villages on charity house building trips. Toilet paper would have been a luxury beyond our wildest imaginings.
Don't need to go to Africa.
Admittedly it was a long time ago, our toilet was a bucket below a wooden plank with a circular hole in it in a row of six cubicles, three each side of an ash pit where the bucket contents were chucked among the fire ashes and eventually spread on a field.
Prior to use a few dock leaves were picked from the adjacent field; very soothing.
And Woodbines were a farthing for twenty....
Sorry, well off topic now.

All you need to know. The grandchildren love this book.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0241381452/?tag=eliteelect-21
Thanks WG. Just ordered.

I teach in adult Ed and one of my subjects is tai chi qigong. We do a lot about clearing and detoxing and using accupressure points. A session relating to "waste management" will be great, so this book will be really helpful to put it into a context that's not too heavy. My learners will love it.

Admittedly it was a long time ago, our toilet was a bucket below a wooden plank with a circular hole in it in a row of six cubicles, three each side of an ash pit where the bucket contents were chucked among the fire ashes and eventually spread on a field.
Prior to use a few dock leaves were picked from the adjacent field; very soothing.
And Woodbines were a farthing for twenty....
Sorry, well off topic now.
That were the good old days. It all "put hair on your chest", "never did anyone any harm" and "made you the person you are today".
Just be grateful and pull up a sandbag, us oldies can all share our stories. Those young'uns just don't know they're born with their flushing facilities and triple quilted loo roll.
Thank goodness Izal, tracing paper toilet roll is out of fashion these days, you definitely wouldn't want to flush that in your portapotti!

Last edited:
We have one and haven’t used it much recently, but it’s seen more service this year with many loos closed. Used for both calls of nature if needed. As long as there’s plenty of fluid, the contents break down ok. No loo roll in waste obvsly. I usually empty it down the toilet at home. Easily done - not pleasant but clean and quick.

Why no loo roll in the waste, it breaks down easily in the water, use the cheapest stuff you can find, not the triple quilted fancy stuff that takes longer to disintegrate.

Why no loo roll in the waste, it breaks down easily in the water, use the cheapest stuff you can find, not the triple quilted fancy stuff that takes longer to disintegrate.
Even the cheap stuff has caused spluttering for me when emptying, especially on shorter trips.

Are you pressing in the air valve at the same time as tipping, or open the hatch a bit to stop that.

If its not disintegrating enough leave it another day or two to mature:Grin

Admittedly it was a long time ago, our toilet was a bucket below a wooden plank with a circular hole in it
India, two planks over a pit, pit was full of pigs. Pigs used to get very excited.

I never ate the pork curry.

Are you pressing in the air valve at the same time as tipping, or open the hatch a bit to stop that.

If its not disintegrating enough leave it another day or two to mature:Grin
Yeah use the air valve & the hatch. Maturing waste . . .? Think I’ll pass on that. Sometimes we don’t even use chemicals (unless we need a poo), so I’ll stick to bagging.

Totally agree vananarama and, wilbur wombat, we got the tray and strap, so useful. Days out in these covid times now so much more relaxing.

Yes, really removes panic and stress. The tray and strap? Is this an official accessory? I’ve been thinking of ways to secure and possibly hide it (because at the end of the day, as nicely designed as it is(!), it’s a loo. I have some fastener thingies to go into the rails so was thinking of making something for it...

Yes, really removes panic and stress. The tray and strap? Is this an official accessory?

The tray & strap are made by Brandrup. The tray is designed to fit the under sink cupboard and stops the WC sliding around, the strap just makes it easier to pull it out the cupboard.

The tray & strap are made by Brandrup. The tray is designed to fit the under sink cupboard and stops the WC sliding around, the strap just makes it easier to pull it out the cupboard.

Thanks for this. What sink? (We have a Beach.)

So our 335 got an A for good behaviour after our last trip and was allowed to move from the boot to behind the drivers seat this weekend. We were doing day trips and wanted to ensure we didn’t have problems with closed/disgusting public toilets that seems to be the ongoing reality.
Thought my husband would raise an eyebrow but not one bit...I think the words ’sensible idea’ came out of his mouth! I was a bit worried it would take up too much space but it was fine.
I secured it with the ROK strap that has been recommended on the forum before by @kurienp here: https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/some-accessories-wanted.36501/#post-446696
I shall now grab the folding box to cover it and work out where to stash the loo roll without it sticking out like a sore thumb!
Indebted to all the contributors on here. Thank you!

Has anyone tried to trim the folding ottoman box down so it not as tall?