Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Portable sound system

Calikev said:
Andy said:
Just bought a Bose sounlink mini & so far well inpressed. Great sound from such a small box.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 2

I have just ordered mine on your recommendation andy I hope I like it :laugh2

Unfortunately it will not work with my pico pix projector. I suspect the line out is too low voltage for it. May have to take it back. I need one system that will work with phone & projector.

Another vote for Bose....

Friends of ours had one when camping in France last week. Absolutely stunning sound quality.

No idea what they paid from john Lewis, but I am saving now, so much easier than a full docking solution and versatile to connect to different devices. So easy to connect and blue tooth device. Only drawback was when I connected the music on my Samsung galaxy Sii and then cycled off 30 minutes later to pick the children up, the sound died for them when I was about 100 yards away and they struggled to reconnect another device straight away!

Haven't heard the Bose soundlink mini but I have the soundfreaq sound kick and the Bose soundlink normal size and they both have their plus points.

The Bose is heavier and better built, the bass is much warmer, a little too warm for me at low volumes (why can't we have tone controls anymore!!). The treble response is there, and quite clean, but overpowered by the upper bass tones. I have a problem with mine losing charge when stored, too easily, already had one battery replaced under warranty.

The sound kick has less bass, it is there but much less warm. The treble is nice and crisp, maybe not so clean, but amazing for the 80 quid I paid for it. It is much lighter and more plasticky. I've noticed the bluetooth on mine needs to be reconnected every now and then, others reported it on the web as well, you just have to press the bluetooth pairing button and it will reconnect to the iPhone or ipad on first power up. Overall a much better price/value.

Would be interested to hear the difference to the Bose mini so will try and have a listen and report back :D

Confuserated said:
Haven't heard the Bose soundlink mini but I have the soundfreaq sound kick and the Bose soundlink normal size and they both have their plus points.

The Bose is heavier and better built, the bass is much warmer, a little too warm for me at low volumes (why can't we have tone controls anymore!!). The treble response is there, and quite clean, but overpowered by the upper bass tones. I have a problem with mine losing charge when stored, too easily, already had one battery replaced under warranty.

The sound kick has less bass, it is there but much less warm. The treble is nice and crisp, maybe not so clean, but amazing for the 80 quid I paid for it. It is much lighter and more plasticky. I've noticed the bluetooth on mine needs to be reconnected every now and then, others reported it on the web as well, you just have to press the bluetooth pairing button and it will reconnect to the iPhone or ipad on first power up. Overall a much better price/value.

Would be interested to hear the difference to the Bose mini so will try and have a listen and report back :D

There are loads of comparison tests - some rate the Bose higher, some don't which isn't verry helpful.

We havs Bose QC3 headphones (noise cancelling) and 301 shelf speakers and both are very well made.

Actually I was going to compare the two Bose boxes out of interest and try and describe it so it would be more helpful :D

Confuserated said:
Actually I was going to compare the two Bose boxes out of interest and try and describe it so it would be more helpful :D

Lookalike I need to put on my dunce hat again...

So, got a soundlink mini in the post today and I will say first off that the build quality is really good, however, the sound quality isn't.

It seems to have the same characteristics as the bigger model with amazing bass for the size but with a kind of loudness button permanently switched on, so that you get loads of bass at lower volumes then as the middle and upper frequencies get louder when you turn up the volume, the bass increases only slightly.

It gives you a sort of tone control with the bigger model but with the mini it cannot handle the amount of bass pumped out by modern music, although it is amazing for its size it very, very quickly gets distorted in my opinion, and I hate hearing the bass woofer clipping and flexing itself to death on bass. I find I can't go over half volume on modern tracks before bass is distorted and two thirds on older stuff before the treble gets nasty. The problem for me being that, although the bass sounds good at lower volumes there is not enough mid and treble to hear what is going on, the balance is all wrong.

Also, the high frequencies are somewhat artificial to my ear, you notice it especially on vocals with a sort of high quality telephone kind of quality to vocals, I find it unbearable unfortunately.

Older tracks sound better as less bass is pumped out (Van Morrison, into the mystic sounds fabulous apart from the artificial treble vocal)

Although there is much less bass on the sound kick jobbie, the trebles are much sweeter to my ear and you can sort of "in-fill" the bass in your head as it is there but much lower levels.

Tested on bluetooth via an ipad 2 and google nexus 4.

I will be sending the Bose back, good ole Amazon :upsidedown

Back