Posh Diesel

sidepod

sidepod

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Anyone bother with it?

I’ve never even given it a thought. It’s not a cost thing, I couldn’t even tell you how much fuel costs, I’ve just never used it.

Can you notice the delta?

Its not as effective as the difference is with Petrol. I have used it in cars but found it made the engine a little more responsive but less refined for a diesel that is. Dont bother.

Oh great, we haven’t had a fuel debate for ages.. :rolleyes:

I add add millers to regular standard fuel to increase the cetane.

Whats "cetane"?

got it now......zzzzz.zzzzzz.Zzzzzzz

Its a good lubricant, also increases octane.
You can add half litre of two stroke oil as lubricant to what ever diesel you use.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Don’t know anything technical, but I always use SHELL V-POWER (both diesel for the T5 California and petrol for the daily driver) whenever possible. When the cam belt broke on the T4 and the boys stripped down the engine (too many bent valves to contemplate) all the ‘workings’ were clean as a new pin...apparently due to the ‘cleaning agents’ in said product. To be honest, I noticed more of an improved difference in engine performance on the T4 than the T5, but I just like to think I’m doing the best I can for my ‘mechanicals’. Joining the Drivers Club gets you a nice money off voucher now and again which offsets the cost a bit.

Its a good lubricant, also increases octane.
I hope not, in a diesel it needs increased cetane number which makes it more explosive which is the opposite of what higher octane number does in petrol which actually slows it down.
Im genuinely interested in what you think its giving you such as performance or engine life ?

I hope not, in a diesel it needs increased cetane number which makes it more explosive which is the opposite of what higher octane number does in petrol which actually slows it down.
Im genuinely interested in what you think its giving you such as performance or engine life ?
not interested in performance it's a 2+ tonne van, just the lubrication.

Agreed, the wrong choice of words, bigger bang is what I was eluding to.

It was suggested to me by a friend who is the CEO of a fuel company, he is a fuel chemist and owner of the patent for City Diesel.

Anyone bother with it?

I’ve never even given it a thought. It’s not a cost thing, I couldn’t even tell you how much fuel costs, I’ve just never used it.

I refuel with premium diesel about once every 12 refuels. I remind myself to refuel with premium everytime I refill with AdBlue.

I use it because I have read that it helps prolong the life of the engine, but the benefit of using it occasionally is just as good as using it all the time.

I do not know if I'm conning myself by using it, but if I am, I'm only conning myself occasionally.

Good grief!

It took me a while to realise we are talking about the oily stuff that comes out of a sticky smelly pump :shocked

I thought we were talking about the high end fashion from a brand sold on most high streets .... far too young for me!

I used to do 25k business miles in a LR Disco3 and premium made more of a difference to (onboard) MPG % wise than the price difference so I kept at it. I generally avoid supermarket fuel, someone told me their "city diesel" is designed for less particulates at low speeds, not for efficiency at higher speeds... no idea if true just found MPG suffered supermarket vs branded vs premium branded

You can add half litre of two stroke oil as lubricant to what ever diesel you use.

Does that mean I can make my bus smell of Castrol R (A747) ?:)

I use the premium stuff (Shell V power as it's the nearest). As the mileage on our van is relatively low the additional cost doesn't bother me too much.

We used to use V Power in one of our other diesel cars and the major difference we noticed was that when giving the car an Italian tune up, the cloud out of the back was a light grey colour and not dark black.

I have no way of knowing whether this was down to the car or the fuel but I have assumed that it must be a higher quality of fuel which burns more efficiently. We did notice a marginal increase in fuel efficiency.

I am a bit of a sucker for “you get what you pay for” and the arguments for using premium fuel seem compelling enough.

However, no car manufacturers stipulate that diesel engines must be run on premium diesel fuels. This must tell you that ordinary diesel is absolutely fine.

I would add that we’ve never had any of the major failures often associated with diesel cars like injectors, DPF or MAF sensor issues. We may just have been lucky, but then again it may be down to better fuel.

If it does nothing – all I’ve lost is a few quid. However, if the fuel is more refined and the additives clean and protect the engine, then that can only be a good thing.

Whether it's worth the price premium is a point for endless discussion.

Legal? Not very environment aware? More expense. :(

For the last 3 tank fulls i´ve been on shell v power and i
think i can see slightly better economy and it seems to run
smoother.
It could be a placebo effect though.

I fill with premium diesel as I've found it makes a considerable difference to the MPG. Quite possibly not enough to compensate for the higher price but clearly it must burn more efficiently so must be good for the engine and the DPF.
My Cali is my daily driver and gets used for a lot of short runs which of course isn't good for the engine, and the increase in MPG is much more noticeable on those short runs than on longer faster runs where the engine is working more efficiently anyway, doing what it's designed to do.

Anyone bother with it?

As someone else said on here, when the tank is low I fill up. Mine is a 205 4motion and fairly thirsty but if I run at 80km/h it’s ok.

I've use 'posh' diesel in cars over the past decades and it made a difference in both mpg and towing or solo performance.
Use it in the Cali when available but see no difference in either performance or mpg. With all the emissions bits on the T6 I use it or as per Loz's suggestion Millers in the standard Diesel, might be why I see no difference above.

Back