Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Privacy glass

Recomemded Southampton
http://sctints.co.uk/
I've had two vehicles tinted in recent years, fantastic sevice and quality - Phil is a perfectionist
Looks dark from the outside, but light inside - looking out bit like wearing sunglasses
SCT Highly recommended
I assume you already had VW privacy glass that they put the tints onto?
It looks good in your picture but how is the double glazed window match looking from the outside?
Does it look different from some angles?

I would also be interested to see the passenger side windows and if it is possibe to match up? I assume you are OK if you have a Beach but an Ocean or SE is going to be very difficult

I assume you already had VW privacy glass that they put the tints onto?
It looks good in your picture but how is the double glazed window match looking from the outside?
Does it look different from some angles?
The glass fitted was 'green insulated', so already a tint but you could see in quite easily. With the tint, the match to the wardrobe side is perfect and the join cannot be seen. With the rear double glazed windows, yes, you do get a slight variance in shade to the middle windows, but only in some lights / viewing angles, sometimes it just looks all the same. At least both sides look the same!

Because of this issue, I took some time deciding about whether to tint or not; but the privacy aspect outweighed this problem, and I am glad I did. It's just annoying that VW don't fit proper privacy glass as fitted to their cars, especially as it's a Campervan!!

The glass fitted was 'green insulated', so already a tint but you could see in quite easily.
Could you be more specific?
The one crossed out is standard and the other one is privacy but both are 'Green insulated'

Screen Shot 2018-08-12 at 12.47.50.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-12 at 12.48.06.png

It's just annoying that VW don't fit proper privacy glass as fitted to their cars, especially as it's a Campervan!!
Not knowing the ins and outs of of how possible it is to get rid of the double glazing reflection...
My thinking is that VW are aware that the double glazing gives a different reflection when windows are tinted and this is as dark as they could go to avoid a mismatch and retain some credibility, leaving the appearance with darker tints problem firmly at the feet of the end user.

How do you guys that have had tints match up the bit behind the wardrobe ? All the Cali's I have seen with aftermarket tint look like the fitted for got to do a window, I would be interested to see images of the nearside as I have always wanted to have it done but put off by mismatched look.
When mine was done the small visible part next to wardrobe was done and normally looks the same from the outside. Most times it matches the single glazed windows and in some light conditions the same mirror effect as the other double glazed windows.
20140203_212941[1].jpg

20171008_143152[1].jpg

Standard equipment
Thanks Andy,
Thats a pretty good result I'd say as I imagine that it would be more difficult with standard.:thumb

Twilight Tint in Chichester amazing service

I had mine done by Twilight Tint in Chichester too, very pleased with service and result. I went for 5% limo tint and don't regret it.

Thank you - will check them out - could you give me an idea of cost ? Have NO idea

Mine was twighlight and it was £199 for a limo tint

We have factory privacy glass on our Ocean but wanted it darker. A company called Spire Tinting in Chesterfield did ours. They are also affiliated to National Windscreens and have tinted and also replaced cracked or shattered windows to many vehicles including Californias. They get around the issue of the wardrobe window by removing it from the outside then tinting it and bonding it back in. So what you end up with is exactly the same as the factory tint, just darker. We opted for a 15% ceramic film on all 7 habitation windows on top of the factory privacy, which they measured with a light meter and took the overall level of privacy to limo. There are also many other benefits with the ceramic coating including keeping the heat out when it’s hot and also keeping the heat in when it’s cold. We were unsure whether to have this done for a long time but now wish we had had it done a lot sooner and would recommend this company.

They get around the issue of the wardrobe window by removing it from the outside then tinting it and bonding it back in. So what you end up with is exactly the same as the factory tint, just darker.
I don't understand why they need to remove it? the bit behind the wardrobe is blacked out and you can reach the privacy glass section.
:help

It’s a personal preference, when we specified privacy glass as an option VW did all 7 windows in the habitation area, so what we wanted was exactly the same but with more privacy and darker so thought it would be helpful to let people know this is an option as we are extremely happy with the result.

It’s a personal preference, when we specified privacy glass as an option VW did all 7 windows in the habitation area, so what we wanted was exactly the same but with more privacy and darker so thought it would be helpful to let people know this is an option as we are extremely happy with the result.
Hi this is really interesting
Just so I understand - this is still a tint applied to the inside of the glass, is that right? Also do you have the same problem with the double glazing looking different? And lastly does it come with a warranty?
Thanks and all the best

8F90EA4B-8D3B-458A-A5E4-97B1774A7EA3.jpeg A4F8B064-B14D-4E7B-9584-3ABC816254CD.jpeg Hi Aca-chap,
Yes the tint is applied to the inside of the glass, and in our opinion the double glazing looks no worse than it does with the option of VW privacy glass, there is a lifetime warranty on the tints also. I’m trying to put a few photos on but not sure if I’m doing it properly.

We also have a starlight blue Ocean, but with the standard VW tinting.

I think at many angles, especially from the front, it can look more like a van than a Cali as the glass is a similar colour to the body. For security reasons I think this is a good thing, as the van doesn't stand out so much when parked up.

I don't understand why they need to remove it? the bit behind the wardrobe is blacked out and you can reach the privacy glass section.
:help
I have been wondering this too, the bit behind the wardrobe on ours is blacked out already, much darker than most of the pictures on here.

Am i missing something obvious ?

• Agree
Reactions: DG1
I have been wondering this too, the bit behind the wardrobe on ours is blacked out already, much darker than most of the pictures on here.

Am i missing something obvious ?
I don’t understand either. Behind my wardrobe is already blacked out and looks no different to the tinted section next to it. What is there to remove?

I think there is still much confusion owing to the fact that
VW green heat insulating glass and VW green heat insulating privacy glass are sometimes (quite often) acknowledged by owners under the same term of Standard VW tint.

Everything below is simply based on what I have read on this forum and for sure there are still posts that contradict what I have surmised but here goes..

I believe that asides the extra level of tint in the later of the two types, the most telling difference is that the privacy glass has the blacked out section behind the wardrobe and the other doesn't. I don't know that for sure though.

Therefore, if you don't have VW green heat insulting privacy glass there would be a benefit in removing the window to get it tinted the same as the rest. Where as if you have VW green heat insulating privacy glass there is likely to be no need to remove the window. So which ever @mario+jill had they preferred to remove it even if it was blacked out.

Now who wants to throw in further complications of double glazing and laminated glass?
OK I will :D
Double glazed units (standard on the ocean and an option on the beach) and singled glazed units definitely have a different effect regarding reflections. this is evident on my Ocean with some double glazed VW green heat insulating privacy glass. The difference is minimal but it's there at some angles in some lighting conditions between the single glazed and double glazed areas.
In this case, I'm not sure if this difference will noticeably increase if you add after market tints to all windows but I'm also sure it will not reduce the original difference all of the time. However it will look darker and uniform in some circumstances so likely to be an overall improvement.
From the pictures I have seen I'm now leaning towards VW green heat insulating glass (not privacy) with double glazed areas being the least capable of getting a uniform finish when after market tints are applied thanks to the seperate challenges of double glazing and lack of blacked out panel by the wardrobe. If this is your set up the limo tint and window removal (a la mario+jill) seems a good bet.

Single glazed beaches should be the easiest to get uniform.
As for laminated glass, the same thing applies...single glazed? good match all round. Double glazed? same issues but likely to vary in any mismatch.

Clearly some Oceans have had really good results and others have a more noticeable mismatch so until we can categorically iron out any inaccurate descriptions you have to work it out yourselves but I hope my theory goes someway towards understanding your chances.
I think a medium tint on top of VW green heat insulating privacy glass has had good results from pictures on the threads.

Last edited:
Ok - my conclusion : even if you are going for an aftermarket tint, it’s definitely worth getting the VW OEM privacy glass specced as you get the area behind the wardrobe blacked out as standard.

Think that’s right....

Does this mean if you don’t get the privacy glass you can see the contents of the wardrobe from outside?

Ok - my conclusion : even if you are going for an aftermarket tint, it’s definitely worth getting the VW OEM privacy glass specced as you get the area behind the wardrobe blacked out as standard.

Think that’s right....

Exactly what Im doing. Factory tint plus a 20% film

Back