Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Purchase of Beach vs velle - help required

I think the question related to an Ocean (as I started started a wild goose chase with the family in Italy). Surely in an SE /Ocean, the bottom bed can't be made with the 5th seat in?

If you got a caravelle and did convert the pop top, you would still only be able to sleep 2.
or modify the interior seating to make another bed. Beach style
The caravelle and beach seating is near identical. It costs peanuts to get a bed from the seats.

Get a 2nd hand beach, the older ones tend to have a lot higher spec than the newer ones Such as factory fitted heater(s) & 3 zone climate control, additional 2 seats, fog lights, etc. Wouldn’t worry too much about LED headlights but that’s just me (as I get blinded by them coming in the other direction when I cycle to work each day!)

For conversion - I think stealth roofs allow for the rear climate control ducts, but by the time you have added all the conversion costs up, you will be close to the price of just buying a Beach, which will have a higher resale especially as they are not selling them in the UK at the moment.

ah yes, but here is the rub. ULEZ.
Say no more.

At the moment there are few Beaches coming onto the market with high spec but as @2into1 says there are 10k plus more expensive than the cheapest 2019 ones.

Marshalls in Loughton appear to have 2 beaches without pictures at 49/50k, and no options in the spec list. Could be worth a phone call as I doubt they are base models - we have recently put a deposit on a beach - the search misses out options so I looked at every listing individually.

Oh and the beach only came with the 150 engine

Here is another good spec one

The linked Beach is £4k more than someone here just paid for a brand new Ocean with pretty decent spec!
But, the OP doesn't want an Ocean or Coast but a Beach and as they have been withdrawn from sale the Beach will now attract a Premium - a Sellers market.

I’d go for a beach. I also hung out a long while to find our beach. I wanted a lot of the spec items you are after. I got most but had to compromise on some. Parking heater is the thing to give on. These can easily be fitted afterwards. You can’t retrofit the 3 zone climate. Concentrate on that and you narrow the potential vans down by about 80%. We have the 3 zone and with kids in the back I find it superb. Those remaining vans will likely be higher spec models.

Pick one of those and retrofit later things like extra seats, parking heater, wheels if you are bothered.

The 150 engine is fine, I was worried about it being slow. It’s not slow. It’s a good balance of power and economy in my view. And you could chip it later on, I’ve heard some dealers offer performance upgrades on vans on this forum, anyone know about that?

It’s not a golf gti but then neither is a 199. It’s a different driving experience. It’s not for chucking about country lanes it’s about enjoying the view, taking your time and cruising it’s such an easy drive for long journeys. Trouble is the golf (I have a golf too) is literally one of the best cars out there I love mine. The ride and the power is great, but a van is good too! It’s just different. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d go for a beach. I also hung out a long while to find our beach. I wanted a lot of the spec items you are after. I got most but had to compromise on some. Parking heater is the thing to give on. These can easily be fitted afterwards. You can’t retrofit the 3 zone climate. Concentrate on that and you narrow the potential vans down by about 80%. We have the 3 zone and with kids in the back I find it superb. Those remaining vans will likely be higher spec models.

Pick one of those and retrofit later things like extra seats, parking heater, wheels if you are bothered.

The 150 engine is fine, I was worried about it being slow. It’s not slow. It’s a good balance of power and economy in my view. And you could chip it later on, I’ve heard some dealers offer performance upgrades on vans on this forum, anyone know about that?

It’s not a golf gti but then neither is a 199. It’s a different driving experience. It’s not for chucking about country lanes it’s about enjoying the view, taking your time and cruising it’s such an easy drive for long journeys. Trouble is the golf (I have a golf too) is literally one of the best cars out there I love mine. The ride and the power is great, but a van is good too! It’s just different. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you! I think that makes perfect sense.

I think you exactly ‘get’ what I am thinking.

I think one of my many challenges is that the 3rd child isn’t going to wait till the correct vehicle comes along. Given the state of the beach model I fear I am at the mercy of the market.

To take this conversation at a slight tangent...

Does anyone know anything about the new California Tour model?

The problem with the beach is that it didn’t sell in the uk. It was targeted as a budget option but we are looking at it because of the seat configuration, not because of budget. As such, most vehicles don’t appeal spec wise.

What if VW release a higher spec version with beach layout in the next few years?
The current beach ‘bubble’ could be just that.

But, the OP doesn't want an Ocean or Coast but a Beach and as they have been withdrawn from sale the Beach will now attract a Premium - a Sellers market.
It’s a confused market for sure. Not sure when we last saw 20 nearly new Beaches being unloaded via the car supermarkets for daft low money. Premium model beaches may be attracting high prices, but the market is also full of modest spec 3 year old Beaches at the same price as the 6 month old ones.
I’m sure used Beaches will do well if VW don’t see the light and release them here again, but until these supermarket ones are sold, the market looks like a car crash.

If you are really considering converting a caravelle I would talk to Jonny at Slidepods, he did just this for his own Caravelle and it was a beautiful bus (featured in VW Bus) but it was a difficult conversion from all accounts due to the ducting and wiring in the roof area.

I think the advice above is good, get one and retrofit a parking heater (as I did).

To take this conversation at a slight tangent...

Does anyone know anything about the new California Tour model?

The problem with the beach is that it didn’t sell in the uk. It was targeted as a budget option but we are looking at it because of the seat configuration, not because of budget. As such, most vehicles don’t appeal spec wise.

What if VW release a higher spec version with beach layout in the next few years?
The current beach ‘bubble’ could be just that.

Not sure it was intended as a budget option really. It was just a different configuration aimed more at an MPV market who want the occasional camping trip but need more luggage and camping space and want to use the thing as a car. A day van spec if you will, halfway between an ocean and a caravelle. Even the 2 and 3 seat versions are slightly different in ways that make them better suited to some uses than other.

Not heard of the Cali Tour sorry, are you thinking of the coast?

Not sure it was intended as a budget option really. It was just a different configuration aimed more at an MPV market who want the occasional camping trip but need more luggage and camping space and want to use the thing as a car. A day van spec if you will, halfway between an ocean and a caravelle. Even the 2 and 3 seat versions are slightly different in ways that make them better suited to some uses than other.

I definitely mean Tour.

I have watched a German review of the t6.1 and they definitely said that they are adding a ‘tour’ version and another than I cannot remember the name. Making the range Beach, Tour, ???, Coast and Ocean.

It wasn’t a vid for the uk market so no idea if they will come to Uk.

Definitely buy a Beach.

It maybe worth contacting your local Cali dealer and ask them to check unsold, new stock, high spec Beaches that are sat at docks / dealers. I’m sure there will still be some available.

The real trick will be finding what is available and then contacting Tom at Breeze or Guy at Preston about buying it with a decent discount!

I did just this about 10 years ago when looking for a GTi, my local dealer located one for me on the VW system, sat in a showroom in Oxford. Drove it home a week later.

Last edited:

Cali 6.1 Beach Tour is the version with double sliding doors, instead of the foldable kitchenette.

Ahh the double slider, yeah I understand now. Won't be getting any in the UK sadly.

Ahh the double slider, yeah I understand now. Won't be getting any in the UK sadly.
I wouldn’t be entirely surprised if we see the Beach again in the UK but would of been a lot more confident if VWUK hadn't realised the Coast here. Not sure we have the market for 3 different models. Still scratching my head on why VW did this. Wouldn’t it be nice if a VW UK executive came on here, the home of California enthusiasts, and confirm why!

If you want a campervan and life style go for a Beach. If you want an occasional camper get a vellie and a awning/tent.

Sad thing is I might have been tempted by a 6.1 beach with the little kitchen, VW lost themselves a potential sale.

Yes.
But we need to practically have 3 child seats.

95% of journeys will not need a kitchen.
Hi, I was recently faced with the exact same dilemma. 2 kids and one on the way. I had a top spec X5 with every bell and whistle. I picked up a 6 month old beach with 6k on the clock. It was fairly average spec but did have 7 seat, bike rack, parking sensors and discover media. The things I miss most are auto headlights and wipers...oh and the ability to see in the dark, so yes the LEDs are a worthwhile option, although I have now upgraded the lamps to 150% brighter ones and they have done the trick. I haven’t really missed any of the other stuff and as for the leather seats, once you pick up your beloved beach and your kids immediately start adding their personal touches, you soon realise your gonna need a decent set of seat covers anyhow. For a while I was thinking about adding a reverse camera, however I will leave that until I have added everything else I want as I have adjusted to the dimensions of the Cali, I don’t feel it’s so necessary.

So in summary, I made the change (December 19) for the same reason you are contemplating and I don’t regret it in the least, although I have had to adjust to a very differently driving experience. I intend to add night heater, solar panel and VW lowering springs over the course of the next few months. There are tonnes of accessories available, but be warned it’s very easy to waste money and much like accessories for Apple products, decent Cali accessories command a premium.

Last edited:
Family of 5...???

If you really want to enjoy time away with the family, get a Caravan.
These vans are to small for more than 4, unless you like erecting tents(cough) sorry I meant awnings.