Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Raised suspension?

G

Giles Stone

VIP Member
We have 2012, 4motion with VW fitted, removable tow bar - trouble is the tow bar is too low for the horse trailer and it's not possible to raise it without blocking the tailgate. There's lots of stuff about lowering suspension, but has anyone got experience with raising it? We are thinking about: http://www.vw-offroad-seikel.de/en/products/seikel-vw-t5-from-my-2010. Thoughts anyone?
Thanks.

Looks good to me, if expensive by the time they are fitted.

I know where you are coming from as the rear of the Cali (?esp a 4motion?) is quite low, but ours is completely level with our caravan on.

It's a 1300kg single axle so I would have thought it would have more chance to nose down on the hitch than a horse box as most are twin axle.

? do you need the horsebox loading further forward?

Yes, you're right - the horse box is twin axle and connected to the Cali the rear wheels have a tendency to leave the ground! Loading at the front helps a bit, but even a slightly a nose down trailer doesn't seem like a good idea.

Even though they are VW approved parts and I have asked for a fitting quote from a VW dealer (S Hereford), the dealer says the warranty (for those parts and any related issues) will be void - strange?

Giles Stone said:
Even though they are VW approved parts and I have asked for a fitting quote from a VW dealer (S Hereford), the dealer says the warranty (for those parts and any related issues) will be void - strange?

Possibly something to do with European type approval for the vehicle. As I understand it, every part has to specifically tested on each specific vehicle, & I bet they won't have.

Other than that, they are just covering themselves legally cos they can wash their hands of it, as everybody seems to these days. It's all down to money in the end, & they will use this excuse to not to have to cough up on 'possible issues'

I'm reasonably certain factory fit tow bars will be at a height governed by EU regs.

Have you thought about modifying the trailer instead?

Different Hitch?

Smaller Wheels / Lower Profile Tyres??

It's funny this one, as yes there is a 'euro std' tow ball height. This has been around for a good few years. Mine is the factory detachable also.

See here http://www.witter-towbars.co.uk/faq/faq_category.aspx?id=448

It makes me wonder, ?how old is the horse box?

I also tow a little braked 6x4 Ifor Williams trailer which is a couple of years old, and that is flat & level as well, so makes me wonder WRT the horse box's hitch height??

Thanks for all the thoughts. The tow ball height is within regs - but right at the bottom of the range. The trailer is hitch seems to be designed for hitch height in the middle or upper part of the range. Connected, the trailer tips down about 10 degrees - not a huge amount but enough to take some of the weight of the rear trailer wheels.

Thought about modifying trailer hitch, but quite a major cut and weld job and too be honest a bit more ground clearance on the Cali might be quite useful.

If I go for it I'll let you know the result

Thanks

Who/Where are you going to get the kit fitted?

Also how about altering/manipulating tyre pressures slightly;

Rear of Cali to highest recommended

Front of Horsebox lowest recommended

Rear of Horsebox highest recommended??

This may be enough to change the angle

I suspect the OEM tow bar is Westfalia.

How about contacting them and see if they have any advice or comment on the height.

Westfalia UK Ltd
St. Albans House
St. Albans Road
Stafford
Staffs
ST16 3DP
JIm Bedford (Sales & Business Development Director)
Tel: 01785 226888
Mobile: 07894 858763
Fax: 01785 248963

I've dealt with Jim before and found them to be excellent. I have an email for them somewhere but I really can't seem to find it.

Of course it's your van and your choice but I would think very, very carefully about increasing the ride height just to accommodate a trailer. You will notice an increase in body roll, it'll likely drive like a tractor and may have a harsh ride.

As I said above is it not possible to make some changes to the trailer?? Modifying the van appears to be a bit like using a hammer to crack a nut. :rofl

Stu said:
I suspect the OEM tow bar is Westfalia.
It is made for VW by them
As I said above is it not possible to make some changes to the trailer?? Modifying the van appears to be a bit like using a hammer to crack a nut. :rofl
I would agree with that 100% ÂŁ50k Cali ?ÂŁ5k horse box?

Thanks all. I'll experiment with tyre pressure and also see what Westfalia have to say before I do anything too drastic then.

The back of the Cali is definitely pretty low - it's long too so the "departure angle" is pretty average i.e. go up a ramp and the back end catches.

I reckon raising it would be a good idea along with banded steels and some more hardcore tyres.

On non bumpy off road stuff, the 4Motion is pretty impressive IMO.

Giles Stone said:
Yes, you're right - the horse box is twin axle and connected to the Cali the rear wheels have a tendency to leave the ground! Loading at the front helps a bit, but even a slightly a nose down trailer doesn't seem like a good idea.

Without looking I don't think these are available from VW which is why there won't be any warranty on anything. I will check, but have not seen anything about suspension lift kits other than an air suspension kit that was available a few years ago that we could order direct from VW.

cheers

Hi Alex

It would be great if you could look into this from the VW side. The manufacturers claim the parts are VW approved and should not therefore invalidate any part of the warranty if fitted / inspected by a VW dealer. I wonder if VW also recognise these parts as VW approved? See: http://www.vw-offroad-seikel.de/en/about-seikel/certificates/

As others have suggested I contacted Westfalia who confirmed that nothing could be done to change the hitch height and I also tried changing type pressures (within limits), but this also didn't really resolve the problem.

Thanks

I know someone about to buy a Cali who'd be interested too - access to their pad in Italy up a mountain is errmm, challenging!

I think if I was in this situation I would look at in order;

1- the cost of changing the horse box for a newer one + correct hitch height vs. the raised suspension kit.

2. if I had to raise the suspension, the VW air suspension kit (if still available) would be where my money went. To raise when needed & keep as std the rest of the time for handling/comfort.

So long as Delphi don't make it that is. As I have had that on enough Land Rover products to know to avoid it :boohoo

I cannot see that this is orderable through VW, so I think it would affect your warranty if it was deemed that a fault was caused by the fitted suspension.

cheers