Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rattling noise from awning a thing to check

• Thread starter Hotel California
  • Start date
If the noise is there from the moment you got the Cali , you might miss it once you solved it....:talktothehand

Thanks BJG,
I have tried something similar with ours although I will give your idea a go as well. What I've also done is to fit these rubber bands to each end. They cut down any movement to the minimum.
View attachment 43274View attachment 43275

They are merely wrist bands that are used at various events, often with a message or sponsor printed on them. You can get them from Ebay in all sorts of colours and they don't cost much at all.
It appeared to be the metal to metal contact that was making the noise, the area between the plastic caps that you strapped down.

Any more than 1mm thick felt the edge will knock/peel it back as it closes.

I still have a rattle from sliding door area but seldom at present.

Having posted many times about this rattle issue I am starting to think that maybe it is a design feature. I have had our Cali for nearly three years now and that rattle has been there since day one. To be frank I have all but given up trying to fix it.

In my case the noise concerned seems to emanate from high up on the B pillar next to my right ear. Having taken advise from members of this forum I have carried out the following:
AWNING
1. Adjustment of the awning arms.
2. Sound deadening the awning mechanism with copious felt buffer pads.
3. Large rubber bands round each end of the awning cassette to stop it opening up and thus rattling.
4. Replacing the unreliable sticky rubber buffer pads inside the awning cassette with better ones.

All of this work had no effect on said rattle however it did eliminate the awning as the cause.

SLIDING DOOR
5. On at least three occassions I have referred the rattle to the dealer for rectification. The first two occasions resulted in some minor fettling and adjustment followed by a test run. Both times the service manager declared the issue resolved. Result - rattle still present! On the last occasion I insisted that the sliding door location plates on the B post along with the corresponding other halves on the door itself were changed and adjusted. The service manager again declared the issue resolved. Result - rattle still present!

I am now thinking that the culprit could be the nylon wheel that runs in the front upper sliding door guide track. If the door is half open and you shake the sliding door rapidly from N/S to O/S there is some slack and a similar noise can be heard. However as the nylon wheel is a set diameter and the guide track a set factory pressing I don't see how it can be resolved. I assume any slack could be adjusted out by altering the aforementioned door location plates however I have lost all faith in VW to do this. Any ideas?

Sorry about the bold lettering but I can't seem to be able to revert to normal type.
Hi Boris, I had the exact same problem.
I found that the arm of roller can move sufficiently to come into contact with the channel and cause a loud metallic rattle on very bumpy roads which I solved with felt pads on the top of the arm.
I also found that the nylon roller rattled in the channel as you described and solved this by cutting some foam packaging material and wedging it in to the end of the channel so that the roller presses into it when the door is closed.
There is a factory fitted pad at the other end of the channel which is what gave me the idea.

We heard a tapping noise comming from the rightside while driving over bumps .
Seems it can be caused by the wind out awning.
It is sometimes enough to wind the awning out a bit and roll back in to solve this .

When i rolled mine fully out to let it dry afther our recent Wales trip , i discoverd there are four rubber paddings glued inside the awninghousing that are in place to support the foldable arms.
Seems one of those paddings came lose and probally the arm was rubbing and tapping against the housing making noises....
Roll out fully , look in the middle of the lenght of the housing .
You can see a scrubbed part where the arm was frictioning against.
View attachment 14964

Glued the padding back on , things to keep an eye on
As you can see there are two paddings on the bottom also where the arms in " rest"
View attachment 14965
View attachment 14966
Thanks for the “heads up”, HC.

Hi Boris, I had the exact same problem.
I found that the arm of roller can move sufficiently to come into contact with the channel and cause a loud metallic rattle on very bumpy roads which I solved with felt pads on the top of the arm.
I also found that the nylon roller rattled in the channel as you described and solved this by cutting some foam packaging material and wedging it in to the end of the channel so that the roller presses into it when the door is closed.
There is a factory fitted pad at the other end of the channel which is what gave me the idea.
Hello Louis II,
I think this may be the answer. I can't tell you how much this issue has annoyed me. Every damn pot hole and surface imperfection has been amplified in my right ear for the last three years.

Unfortunately, I will be unable to try out your fix until after Easter when my time becomes my own again. Until then I'm owned by our grandchildren. I will let you know if it has worked.

Hello Louis II,
I think this may be the answer. I can't tell you how much this issue has annoyed me. Every damn pot hole and surface imperfection has been amplified in my right ear for the last three years.

Unfortunately, I will be unable to try out your fix until after Easter when my time becomes my own again. Until then I'm owned by our grandchildren. I will let you know if it has worked.
Hope it helps. I too was driven to distraction by the rattle. Over winter I had the awning off and spent ages fiddling with catch plates and pretty much every adjustment possible on the door, even to the point of removing the door card and b pillar trim all to no avail before getting to this point.
Awning is now back on and sounding like pound coins in a baked bean can. Have tried all the standard stuff but coming to the conclusion that the problem with mine is the cables / springs inside the arms so currently contemplating removing them to have a look inside.

Hope it helps. I too was driven to distraction by the rattle. Over winter I had the awning off and spent ages fiddling with catch plates and pretty much every adjustment possible on the door, even to the point of removing the door card and b pillar trim all to no avail before getting to this point.
Awning is now back on and sounding like pound coins in a baked bean can. Have tried all the standard stuff but coming to the conclusion that the problem with mine is the cables / springs inside the arms so currently contemplating removing them to have a look inside.
What I can't understand is why some vans are dogged by this rattle issue but most are not. They all have the same awnings, nylon guide wheels, brackets, upper door guide channels and door catch plates. Is it just down to correct adjustment or is there something missing? Should there be a factory fitted felt pad in the upper door runner guide track? If so has mine fallen out?

What I can't understand is why some vans are dogged by this rattle issue but most are not. They all have the same awnings, nylon guide wheels, brackets, upper door guide channels and door catch plates. Is it just down to correct adjustment or is there something missing? Should there be a factory fitted felt pad in the upper door runner guide track? If so has mine fallen out?
I agree the rattles are random and also people have varying degrees of tolerance for the rattles. I hear and am irritated by every small noise. My wife wonders what I am on about.
Mine has a felt pad at the back of the upper door runner guide for the roller to rest against when the door is open but not at the front where the roller is when the door is closed which I think is normal.

I saw a post the other day showing a new pad on the thule awning to stop the arm rattling when folded. I can't find it anywhere now. Has anyone got one / does it work?

I never used to have an external rattle on my 2017 Ocean (only the normal stuff when you carry a cutlery drawer in your car)

I have just fitted an awning. Now I have an external rattle. I have found turning the music up has solved the problem.

I never used to have an external rattle on my 2017 Ocean (only the normal stuff when you carry a cutlery drawer in your car)

I have just fitted an awning. Now I have an external rattle. I have found turning the music up has solved the problem.
Dubstep?

Funny enough I have exactly the same thing..2 years ago we had our awning replaced because the material came apart.that one never made any noises.We had a new awning fitted and this does rattle. It seems like it’s the whole unit not something inside.. I’ve made sure the two brackets are in the right place.. still the same..Tried tightening it up as much as I dare..still the same..tried rubber under the ends still the same..It is bareable but gets on your nerves on a bumpy road..Is there any other suggestions? Is it just happening to the later model awnings?.

Hello Louis II,

Hi Borris,

Few years ago now but did you ever get to the bottom of this rattle?!

We had the same rattle and cured it by putting small felt dots on the awning legs at various intervals or in any place with the likelihood of metal touching metal. It worked and doesn’t rattle any longer.

Hi Borris,

Few years ago now but did you ever get to the bottom of this rattle?!
Something else to check: post #14

Something else to check: post #14

Thank you I will have a look at report back!

Thanks BJG,
I have tried something similar with ours although I will give your idea a go as well. What I've also done is to fit these rubber bands to each end. They cut down any movement to the minimum.
View attachment 43274View attachment 43275

They are merely wrist bands that are used at various events, often with a message or sponsor printed on them. You can get them from Ebay in all sorts of colours and they don't cost much at all.
That’s a useful idea. We don’t have a rattling problem, but I’ve noticed that the sharp upper edge of the wind out section, rubs on the housing where it rests, and in areas it’s biting through to the base metal. I had thought of helicopter tape along this strip.

I'm making a bold move and saying my rattle is 100% door related. It's driving me mad. My £3000 Irish import run to the moon T5 makes less noise than the California. :veryfunny

That’s a useful idea. We don’t have a rattling problem, but I’ve noticed that the sharp upper edge of the wind out section, rubs on the housing where it rests, and in areas it’s biting through to the base metal. I had thought of helicopter tape along this strip.
Helicopter tape works To prevent the damage, I did mine from new, now 5 years old and no wear to the casing, I also applied two thin strips to either side where the outer most casing (edge of wind out section ) meets the main fixed housing

My 2019 Beach had chronic awning rattle. I tried everything and implemented every trick that various fellow owners have recommended over the years. I eventually took it back to the dealer as it was still under warranty. The dealer initially fitted some foam pads which helped to some extent but it still wasn’t a proper solution and so I took back again and they fitted a new awning which solved the problem. From this I would conclude that some awnings have a manufacturing defect and the only answer is replacement. I’ve just taken delivery of a new California and so far there are no rattles but my fingers are crossed and I’m slightly reluctant to unwind the awning in case I upset it!
On another topic, I got delivery of the new California in 3 months and 1 week from order placement; delivery and supply chain issues are now behind us.

Well, fixed my rattle somehow, I think anyway. Not sure how. Fitted new spring clips to the awning (replacing rubber pads) fit rubber hose around the roof scissor that was missing, greased witches hats, and silicon sprayed door seal. Seems to have gone but for how long?

On another note about 6 other rattles have caught my attention now but nothing quite as had as the one I've just fixed.

Well, fixed my rattle somehow, I think anyway. Not sure how. Fitted new spring clips to the awning (replacing rubber pads) fit rubber hose around the roof scissor that was missing, greased witches hats, and silicon sprayed door seal. Seems to have gone but for how long?

On another note about 6 other rattles have caught my attention now but nothing quite as had as the one I've just fixed.
There’s always a rattle waiting in the wings (or the doors, windows, bonnet, cupboards … ) ;)

Back