Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Re: The Oldest Cali On The Block?

B

bryanh

Doesn't the old VW T4 Westfalia California count ? Mine's a 92 model and still going strong!

Seeing as I've not had a reply I'm guessing its a No then ?

We have a customer who has a 55 plate California which is one of the earliest that we look after.

cheers

I wouldn't have thought there was any cali snobbery on here - surely they all count don't they? Some of the older ones are more interesting with the different layouts.

This is an old thread James what made you dig this one up?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Freeley said:
I wouldn't have thought there was any cali snobbery on here - surely they all count don't they? Some of the older ones are more interesting with the different layouts.

No snobbery here mate we have now created a sub section for the t4 california,beach,and berghaus variations and before you say it the berghaus is not really a variation but it keeps things tidy :thumb

Freeley said:

lol that's weird - i never noticed that :) I don't know it came up in my new posts search????

Okay I've been down in Cornwall for the weekend but I avoided the ley lines lol

James

Same here - only noticed the new section just after i posted.
I don't bother with the beach section - boring innit? :twisted::D

Freeley said:
Same here - only noticed the new section just after i posted.
I don't bother with the beach section - boring innit? :twisted::D

lol :) :D :D :D :D

James

bryanh said:
Doesn't the old VW T4 Westfalia California count ? Mine's a 92 model and still going strong!

Can I play? Frist registered in 1991 in Germany, now registered in the UK on an H Plate.

The van left the VW factory in 1990, making her one of the earliest T4s, but Westfalia took their time converting her :D

Has the original (and fairly rare) high VW roundrel on the tailgate.

I think I've seen one other H plated T4 Westy, which is a hire van! Bet that has some miles on it.
dan

nice dan get some pictures up :thumb :thumb it would be nice if someone could explain the differences between models i have seen some pop tops and some high tops but not sure of any differences or the names like executive

There's plenty of pictures of the old girl in action on her blog (http://bettybus.wordpress.com/). Took this one the other week which I like:

file-1.jpg

There were many models of the California between 1990 and 2004, and they are are documented on this useful site: http://westfaliat4.info/html/vw_westfalia_t4_transporter_mo.html.

Mine is fairly basic, manual everything (good in a bus of this age), the very simple 5 pot 2.4L Diesel, which has had the turbo modification (not sure if that was a good idea, does add a level of complexity) and the alcohol stoves, which are surprisingly effective for cooking, not so good if you want a quick cup of tea.

Only thing I really don't like, and they changed this quite quickly, was the use of carpet on the floor. Later models have an easier to clean lino type floor.

However, even though basic, still has the double glazing and eber heater, which keep the bus usable during the winter months.

love em... westfalia design and quality very good just sold my 95 california highway...lovely van sad to see her go but hey ...today get the new one 2002 westfalia california exclusive...so whether new or old we must cherish our heritage...!

Hi to all. Not the oldest T4 on the block, mine's a '92 registered 2.4D (on a J plate), imported to UK from Berlin in 2002. Now has about 240,000 kms on the clock: it sailed through its MoT again last week, with no probs and no advisories. Was I chuffed? You bet! :thumb

We did a 2-month, 5,000-mile trip round Europe last May/June… with just 3 minor breakdowns. Fortunately, we had Adrian Flux's breakdown/recovery service, which was brilliant - in Germany, Italy and France. I can heartily recommend them :clap .

Updating my previous post:
heading south through Germany last week, the clock registered 250,000 kms :clap A quarter of a million kilometers isn't bad for an 'oldie' T4.

Now in Austria, suffering temperatures up to 40 deg. :crazy on this year's Grey Plague Tour.

Last weekend was spent at the Sud Bayern Bustreffen - a great VW event and well worth the visit, with over 200 vans present by Saturday lunch time. Needless to say, we were the 'furthest travelled van', having come 2,085 kms to get there, albeit via a rather wayward route.

greyplague said:
Updating my previous post:
heading south through Germany last week, the clock registered 250,000 kms :clap A quarter of a million kilometers isn't bad for an 'oldie' T4.

Tsk. You young 'uns :)

Just approaching 280k kms, just done 2,000 miles around the north of Germany (news said it was wet down south!). Looks like you are catching up fast though :clap

Lost a bit of oil through our oil cooler (turbo mod), but that is a recurring problem, just keep pouring more in until I get a chance take the undertray off... Fridge failing on day one was a bigger problem :D Still, these challenges often mean we meet the nicest people, and this was no exception.

Enjoy the rest of your trip.
d.

TwentyOneThirtyFive said:
greyplague said:
Just approaching 280k kms

:lol: Lets us know when she's run in properly.

320k on our bus and sweet as the preverbial. Uses no oil, leaking or otherwise.
Aparantly, we've got to reach the half mill before we can replace with a T5. :crazy

S.

:D They're strong engines for sure. That's good milage (kilometre-age?)

Think I will change the oil cooler at the next service. There is one bolt on it that won't stay tight. Or maybe just drill a hole in the under tray so I can get a socket through :lol:

I have a westfalia cali poptop made In 1990 and registered in 1991 in Germany - I have owned her 10 years and loved owning her - I fitted the 1.9 tdi engine to replace the lovely and smooth 2.5 petrol engine3 years back. amazing condition for age and drives like a dream

Good effort Danny ! You must get the medal for longest ownership? :thumb

S.

Sounds nice, bet you've had some adventures over the years. Starting to notice quite a few Westys of this age popping up.

Get some pictures up :D

dan

(Whisper....) Don't tell that lot over on the T5 side but I wouldn't fancy my chances with one of those with 300k on the clock! Electric roof not working. Electric door stuffed. Roof bellows knackered from countless jams in the hignes..... :crazy

S.

sidepod said:
(Whisper....) Don't tell that lot over on the T5 side but I wouldn't fancy my chances with one of those with 300k on the clock! Electric roof not working. Electric door stuffed. Roof bellows knackered from countless jams in the hignes..... :crazy

S.

I'm really worried now. I've just been out and checked and I defintely don't have any hignes. They must have dropped off. It also has NO Felanges!

:D

....al right, all right....HINGES :thumb