Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rear bench won’t go back

GrumpyGranddad

GrumpyGranddad

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Found this video. Quite a complex mechanism for moving the bench seat. Not sure which bit(s) have failed on mine?

westfalia

westfalia

Top Poster
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Found this video. Quite a complex mechanism for moving the bench seat. Not sure which bit(s) have failed on mine?

To get that view of the workings there are loads of screws to remove
from the side panels, like hundreds...
You can only access those side panels once the drawer is removed.

A seat being completely stuck has never been a problem as far as i know, on here.
Before me getting all cynical about it, i will look forward to hear what the
exact problem was.

GrumpyGranddad

GrumpyGranddad

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
To get that view of the workings there are loads of screws to remove
from the side panels, like hundreds...
You can only access those side panels once the drawer is removed.

A seat being completely stuck has never been a problem as far as i know, on here.
Before me getting all cynical about it, i will look forward to hear what the
exact problem was.
Plenty of posts about stuck seats and various outcomes. Mine seems to be more severe than others.
I’ll let you know once the VW workshop has fixed it.
They suggested today it was very rare but there was a component failure!?

R

Rod Mackay

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Sounds like a real pain, GG. Did they give you any indication of how long they expected before they will have the parts and get you sorted out? Sorry to hear about it anyway.

ThomasHJ

ThomasHJ

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Post#24 on this video at around 38 seconds.

Thats how i can slide the bench too,
i used Wd 40 PTFE spray and on the rails i spray
a bit of silicone.

I once removed the drawer to try and see the mechanism for the
slider, but its closed in so i removed the inner side panels so i could see
it, that's when i WD'd it. :thumb
which video?

kurienp

kurienp

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Plenty of posts about stuck seats and various outcomes. Mine seems to be more severe than others.
I’ll let you know once the VW workshop has fixed it.
They suggested today it was very rare but there was a component failure!?
GGD, "component failure" in this case is VW speak and a glorified term for, the spring has popped off the clip.

If you are able to access the mechanism from the rear, it may just be a case of getting it back on and you continuing to enjoy the van.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

westfalia

westfalia

Top Poster
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
GrumpyGranddad

GrumpyGranddad

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Sounds like a real pain, GG. Did they give you any indication of how long they expected before they will have the parts and get you sorted out? Sorry to hear about it anyway.
7-10 days for the parts Rod. Then they’ll book it straight in. Fingers crossed it will be all done in time for a post lockdown first few nights away :)

GrumpyGranddad

GrumpyGranddad

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
GGD, "component failure" in this case is VW speak and a glorified term for, the spring has popped off the clip.

If you are able to access the mechanism from the rear, it may just be a case of getting it back on and you continuing to enjoy the van.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Thanks Kurienp, I’ll have another look but everything seems to totally enclosed. The guys at Citygate were investigating for well over an hour yesterday and I know they had the seat cushion up, so I’m assuming it’s not just the spring? They’ve ordered parts which also suggests a failure of some sort.

Shane080775

Shane080775

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hello all, first problem I’ve encountered with my Cali. Moved the 2-seater bench forward to try out setting up the bed. It now won’t move back! I can hear the release latch activating but the bench seem to be solidly stuck in the forward position. Anybody else had this?
I had this you have to take the Draw out and take the panel off on the side of seat and it will be a little plastic clip has come off

podge

podge

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
We had this problem and the 2 seat bench wouldn’t move at all in our van.

Took it to the dealers and they apparently replaced the bench, but this wasn’t at fault as the issue came back.

Turned out that a screw from the factory had made its way into one of the channels that the seat rollers sit on.

How they got it out, no idea as it was properly jammed.

What we had found is that after a random driving session we could sometimes move the seat, and we may have been able to recover the screw ourselves with a tactical piece of rubber tubing attached to a hoover and inserted into the channel may have brought it out. We clean down these channels this way now to try and keep debris out and preemptively stop it from happening again..

Good luck! An annoying issue for sure.

GrumpyGranddad

GrumpyGranddad

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
We had this problem and the 2 seat bench wouldn’t move at all in our van.

Took it to the dealers and they apparently replaced the bench, but this wasn’t at fault as the issue came back.

Turned out that a screw from the factory had made its way into one of the channels that the seat rollers sit on.

How they got it out, no idea as it was properly jammed.

What we had found is that after a random driving session we could sometimes move the seat, and we may have been able to recover the screw ourselves with a tactical piece of rubber tubing attached to a hoover and inserted into the channel may have brought it out. We clean down these channels this way now to try and keep debris out and preemptively stop it from happening again..

Good luck! An annoying issue for sure.
Thanks for that. No idea what the issue is on my van and what parts the dealer is replacing but once it’s fixed and based on your experience I’ll regularly hoover the channels. Good tip.

D

David Kelly

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Never had that problem, so it's none of my worries.
As far as I am concerned, I have no worries when taking off.
What happens will happen, but I am not worrying about what could eventually happen if/when/for whatever reason.
If you have worries or concerns, get it checked so you can get on holidays without worries.
I love your positive outlook Triplebee and share it most of the time.
There is little point being stressed about things that you cannot influence and no point being stressed about things that are not going to happen.
Setting off is full of possibilities and whatever happens may have beneficial or adverse results for you and something different for others.
Sitting in a lotus position chanting Om can be difficult if you have a deadline to meet and your bench/roof refuse to move.
Good luck with Citygate GG
♀

I love your positive outlook Triplebee and share it most of the time.
There is little point being stressed about things that you cannot influence and no point being stressed about things that are not going to happen.
Setting off is full of possibilities and whatever happens may have beneficial or adverse results for you and something different for others.
Sitting in a lotus position chanting Om can be difficult if you have a deadline to meet and your bench/roof refuse to move.
Good luck with Citygate GG
♀
The emoji should have been someon sittin in the Lotus position!

P

Paul S

VIP Member
Thanks Kurienp, I’ll have another look but everything seems to totally enclosed. The guys at Citygate were investigating for well over an hour yesterday and I know they had the seat cushion up, so I’m assuming it’s not just the spring? They’ve ordered parts which also suggests a failure of some sort.
Probably a good 45 minutes of that was them actually working out how to get access because they’ve never had to do it before. As posted earlier “component failure” is far more likely to be incorrectly assembled in the first place. It happens, sadly. It shouldn’t, but its always been a thing, probably always will be.

Paul Grice

Paul Grice

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Erm... there might be a misunderstanding here that has foxed a few of us... and the dealers generally have no idea.

IMPORTANT

The handle that you pull on to make the seat fold flat is different to the release catch that you pull to allow the whole seat slide backwards and forwards on the rails. The former is horizontal black handle. There latter is a kind of "flippy catch thingy". Caught me out a few times.

To complicate things, the bench seat only slides backwards and forwards along the rails when it is in the folded flat "bed" mode..... Sliding the whole seat backwards or forwards on the rails is therefore a three stage process: 1) You pull out the horizontal larger handle that enables allow you to fold the seat back flat, and then actually fold the seat back flat. When you have down that then: 2) Pull the other smaller rectangular release catch which allows you to slide the whole thing forward or backwards on the rails and then 3) You pull on that first handle again the put the the seat backrest back into the upright position.

Maybe you knew this but when you write that the seat is stuck in the "forward" position I think you mean the whole bench is nearer the front of the van..... I think some of the people reading and offering advice think you mean that the back is folded down in the "folded forward" position. I could of course be wrong but when I went to the dealers to buy mine they had no idea that you had to fold the seat into the folded position before you can operate the other catch that slides the whole bench backwards and forwards. Hope that made sense Good luck

Last edited:
GrumpyGranddad

GrumpyGranddad

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Hi Paul,
No, in the 6.1 you pull on a webbing strap between the seat belts to lay the seat down into the bed position. However, you obviously can’t do that until the seat has been moved forward because of the board at the back. To move the seat forward you use the handle at the front of the bench seat (drivers side)

VW California Club