Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rear climatronic air con flaps not seated correctly

H

haydnw2

VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Hi all. The flaps in the driver's-side vent for the rear climatronic in our T5.1 SE are not seated correctly, and leave a little gap when shut. It feels like the control wheel has slipped out of place too ("backwards", if that makes sense). Has anyone ever taken these apart? Is this a common fault? The control wheel felt very stiff prior to this happening, which I'm not sure is normal. The two sets of flaps on the passenger side are both seated correctly - image included for comparison.

Thanks!

IMG_0409.JPG

IMG_0410.JPG

Hi all. The flaps in the driver's-side vent for the rear climatronic in our T5.1 SE are not seated correctly, and leave a little gap when shut. It feels like the control wheel has slipped out of place too ("backwards", if that makes sense). Has anyone ever taken these apart? Is this a common fault? The control wheel felt very stiff prior to this happening, which I'm not sure is normal. The two sets of flaps on the passenger side are both seated correctly - image included for comparison.

Thanks!

View attachment 56717

View attachment 56718
Not seen that mentioned before, I’m afraid.

I have the same, but on the front of the two vents on the left side. Local VW dealer said it would be very complicated and expensive to fix, so looks like a DIY job, and am weighing whether it is worth it.

I had a similar problem with a stiff control wheel (!). I gave it a good dousing with ptfe spray, which had some success. Recently gave it another squirt to ease the wheel mechanism. Probably a design issue or poorly made batch.

It is not an expensive fix, it just takes a little bit of time, and time costs money as we know (€100 per hour).
If you manage to get the thing out, it's a little bit of fiddling and everything should work ok then.

I have a few pictures of it here if you can find out how to remove it.

Aha! So no too expensive, no. Thanks very much. I'll have a trawl for some instructions on how to remove/replace it and see how difficult it looks! :)

Aha! So no too expensive, no. Thanks very much. I'll have a trawl for some instructions on how to remove/replace it and see how difficult it looks! :)
This might help.

Someone had the same problem last year, they removed it
and found that it was the cog wheel that needed replacing.

Cant find the thread as it was one of those chinese whisper threads,
probably started as a question about air in the tyres and ended with
air vents in rear.

Thanks - I'll do some more searching and see what I can find! Will report back if I find anything, for future reference.

Back