Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rear Sliding Tray

I'm gonna DIY it one day soon, just looking at collecting the bits
and it seems to be a minefield - or maybe not-

Weight limits on the sliding hinges that i have found seem to be >130kg or >250kg,
i'm thinking of going for the 250kg so that 2 people could also sit on the shelf whilst
slid out watching the sunset.

One post above used 80kg ones.

So far i have seen 2 choices of hinges and a set of fixing brackets, i have also
seen an easier solution where they are all fixed together and all that is needed is the
drawer part.

Here's where i'm at -

Screenshot 2020-08-12 at 18.37.22.png

Screenshot 2020-08-12 at 18.33.40.png
Also there are locking ones and non locking ones, would the locking ones be
needed?
Sure, the drawer would stay in place without the locks?

I'm probably over thinking it all but i'm up for a bit of info,
abuse also will be happily received :D

Here's the link for the half made one -

I’m in the very early stages of making one, just ordered some bits. I’ve gone with locking runners and a weight limit of 100kg as I can’t imagine sitting on it as it will be full of stuff! Just use the camping chairs found in the tailgate ;)

i won’t start construction for a couple of weeks as I’m away soon, but will document progress and assembly if it goes well!

needed?

I'd suggest locking ones would be needed. If you are parked uphill, when you open the boot the drawer will be at the perfect height for your knee caps. Likewise, if you park downhill, ever time you pull the drawer out, it will self close.

I've locking ones on mine have three lock positions...full in, max extended and at about half way. Not sure if they are all like that, but mine are.

As always it’s expensive but it is good quality. As with the Vanessa bags it swallows massive of stuff. To access the sliding drawer we just flip the flexibag up Out of the way, it won’t suit everyone but we are very happy with it :)

Thanks for the info might be on the Xmas list :)

Weight limits on the sliding hinges that i have found seem to be >130kg or >250kg,
i'm thinking of going for the 250kg so that 2 people could also sit on the shelf whilst

needed?

I used 85kg ones from Amazon, they have 3 locking positions, and they're perfect for what we need as we don't use the tray to carry anything that heavy, such as the fridge.

As always it’s expensive but it is good quality. As with the Vanessa bags it swallows massive of stuff. To access the sliding drawer we just flip the flexibag up Out of the way, it won’t suit everyone but we are very happy with it :)

Thanks for the info might be on the Xmas list :)
Does anybody know whether the sliding tray can still be used when a Thule towbar bike rack is fitted. The rack obviously tilts backwards to allow the tailgate to open but is there clearance for the tray?

So far i have seen 2 choices of hinges and a set of fixing brackets, i have also
seen an easier solution where they are

We have the 80kgs slides from Amazon. We have just arrived at our first site off the ferry and are completely loaded for the next six weeks. I weighed each Eurocrate before loading and they totalled 78kgs. There isn’t a spare cubic centimetre. I am not sure what we could carry that would exceed that. Of course others will have different needs.

On the subject of locking slides, 80kgs will get away from you quick on even the most minor slope. Locking is the way to go

Hi CH1, just wondering, are they standard struts on the boot or up graded? Thanks j

They are standard struts, with below inserts used when the boot is open. The inserts just slide over the narrower part of the boot strut and wedge it open. But the fully loaded tailgate is still super heavy to lift / close:

They are standard struts, with below inserts used when the boot is open. The inserts just slide over the narrower part of the boot strut and wedge it open. But the fully loaded tailgate is still super heavy to lift / close:

Another great discovery, I’ll check them out. Thanks for the reply.

seen an easier solution where they are all fixed together and all that is needed is the
drawer part.

Here's where i'm at -

View attachment 64363

View attachment 64364
needed?

Hi, you must use locking rails else the tray will move as you accelerate & brake, or as you use it on anything other than level. >100kg is definitely a good plan

Hi, you must use locking rails else the tray will move as you accelerate & brake, or as you use it on anything other than level. >100kg is definitely a good plan
Thank you for replying, that narrows my search for the gear down, as did the above posts
thanks all.

Keep thinking this drawer would be a useful addition to my mods but wondering how much it gets in the way of accessing the tool kit attached to rear of bench in Ocean? Hopefully not a regular occurrence :rolleyes:, but has anyone any experience of this?

Keep thinking this drawer would be a useful addition to my mods but wondering how much it gets in the way of accessing the tool kit attached to rear of bench in Ocean? Hopefully not a regular occurrence :rolleyes:, but has anyone any experience of this?
With nothing on the back of the tray you can get to the toolkit no probs.

With nothing on the back of the tray you can get to the toolkit no probs.
On a related theme I’ve wondered whether the shelf can be pulled out fully if a tow bar mounted tilting bike rack is fitted. Looks doubtful.

On a related theme I’ve wondered whether the shelf can be pulled out fully if a tow bar mounted tilting bike rack is fitted. Looks doubtful.
Re t6.1’s
Can’t be tested yet because they haven’t brought out a sliding shelf version specifically for the t6.1 Ocean and apparently the existing one for the t6 means that the t6.1 bench seat has to be set further forward due to the ‘lounge’ function and results in a gap between seat back and rear shelf. The club shop said there might be a new version later this year (Or there’s the option of a DIY version).

Re t6.1’s
Can’t be tested yet because they haven’t brought out a sliding shelf version specifically for the t6.1 Ocean and apparently the existing one for the t6 means that the t6.1 bench seat has to be set further forward due to the ‘lounge’ function and results in a gap between seat back and rear shelf. The club shop said there might be a new version later this year (Or there’s the option of a DIY version).
Calicap do one for the T6.1

In that case you slide the bench forward and climb over it. I've done it.

The shop version fits the T6.1.

I slide the seat right forward (no stops) and get to the tool kit from the side door.

Re t6.1’s
Do you know how much further forward it is? must completely eliminate the 5th seat leg room.

Calicap do one for the T6.1
That’s great not only is it full width they do a shortened version for the 6.1. Thanks.

Back