Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rear Sliding Tray

Re t6.1’s
Can’t be tested yet because they haven’t brought out a sliding shelf version specifically for the t6.1 Ocean and apparently the existing one for the t6 means that the t6.1 bench seat has to be set further forward due to the ‘lounge’ function and results in a gap between seat back and rear shelf. The club shop said there might be a new version later this year (Or there’s the option of a DIY version).

Ive just translated the vwcamper.de website & that states that the seat is 5cm further back in a T6.1 not further forward.

Please note with the T6.1 California Ocean and Coast:

The bench in the T6.1 is positioned differently due to the lounge function!
The bench is now 5cm further to the stern. So if you want, you have more space at the front.
Of course, everyone is free to put the bench back as it was in T5 and T6. Then the 760 fits again. And even a little further forward, the 810.

But if you want to take advantage of the space gained in the passenger compartment, you can also find it with us in the future.
For the T6.1, we are currently developing a shorter version for the new standard position in the T6.1. The Jalopy 710!

Ive just translated the vwcamper.de website & that states that the seat is 5cm further back in a T6.1 not further forward.

Please note with the T6.1 California Ocean and Coast:

The bench in the T6.1 is positioned differently due to the lounge function!
The bench is now 5cm further to the stern. So if you want, you have more space at the front.
Of course, everyone is free to put the bench back as it was in T5 and T6. Then the 760 fits again. And even a little further forward, the 810.

But if you want to take advantage of the space gained in the passenger compartment, you can also find it with us in the future.
For the T6.1, we are currently developing a shorter version for the new standard position in the T6.1. The Jalopy 710!
Yes, being 5cm further back means that the sliding tray in the shop won’t fit unless the seat is pushed 5cm further forward and then you have a gap between it and the shelf. The Jalopy 710 version by vwcamper.de is a shorter version to avoid it. Also full width which for me is great.

Yes, being 5cm further back means that the sliding tray in the shop won’t fit unless the seat is pushed 5cm further forward and then you have a gap between it and the shelf. The Jalopy 710 version by vwcamper.de is a shorter version to avoid it. Also full width which for me is great.
That's interesting, does that mean that the bed is 5cm Shorter than before?

Have you bought from their website?
I've not yet bought the tray yet - still waiting for van to arrive and then will be sorting out what I want to do with the boot.. highly likely I will be getting this though.
I have purchased other items from their site and its been packaged well and arrived quickly.

On a related theme I’ve wondered whether the shelf can be pulled out fully if a tow bar mounted tilting bike rack is fitted. Looks doubtful.
The Atera Genio Pro allows our shelf to pull out to within about 5cm of fully extended. Comfortably enough to get at everything.

I have an Atera Strada DL3 & 4th bike extension and the Calicap.de drawer for the T6 Ocean can still slide out fully with the bike rack on

That 5cm is about a 50% increase in leg room for the back seat passenger when the 5th seat is in place.

Current Brochure confirms the bed is 50mm shorter. ( also still shows sports mode on the gearbox)

Last edited:
Just about to try making my own tray - I think I want it about 800mm deep to allow it to slide out fully with a tilting bike rack in place. The one in the shop is 600mm.

Ordered 50mm x 50mm x 3mm angle to mount the rails onto, and to make the tray frame. Also ordered some 3mm bar.
Is 3mm ok for the tray frame? I've seen builds on here using 1.5mm or 2mm.
What would be a good thickness for an aluminium sheet base? 1.5mm, 2mm, 3mm?
Cheers

Just about to try making my own tray - I think I want it about 800mm deep to allow it to slide out fully with a tilting bike rack in place. The one in the shop is 600mm.

Ordered 50mm x 50mm x 3mm angle to mount the rails onto, and to make the tray frame. Also ordered some 3mm bar.
Is 3mm ok for the tray frame? I've seen builds on here using 1.5mm or 2mm.
What would be a good thickness for an aluminium sheet base? 1.5mm, 2mm, 3mm?
Cheers
I used 3mm and it’s solid, but being aluminium quite light. Holds 80kg no problem. I used 13mm plywood for the base. Again, it’s solid showing no flex when fully loaded. When sizing your tray you may wish to consider sizing it to accept Euro crates which come in a range of standard sizes. Mine holds 2 of 600x400x175h (or 4 in two layers if the bed is set in its upper position) and 2 of 300x400x290h. As mentioned in a post above if you go for the size you’re suggesting, it will slide almost all the way out with a tilting bike rack on the back.

All in all the most useful thing we have done to or bought for our van.

Thanks Jim, yes definitely sizing for eurocrates, and am looking at the ones you ordered. I've ordered these 160Kg sliders, which are 762mm. I'm not sure whether these or the 812mm would be better, I can always swap them out if necessary.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B086JQ9DL2/?tag=eliteelect-21

I'll mock up the tray frame in wood batten 1st to confirm sizing and positioning against the bench seat and the bike rack. My bike rack is a Thule XT Velospace 3+1, but rough measurements show it should slide out fully.

Thanks Jim, yes definitely sizing for eurocrates, and am looking at the ones you ordered. I've ordered these 160Kg sliders, which are 762mm. I'm not sure whether these or the 812mm would be better, I can always swap them out if necessary.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B086JQ9DL2/?tag=eliteelect-21

I'll mock up the tray frame in wood batten 1st to confirm sizing and positioning against the bench seat and the bike rack. My bike rack is a Thule XT Velospace 3+1, but rough measurements show it should slide out fully.
I used 800mm 80kg sliders with no problem. Same manufacturer through Amazon.

I just bought and installed a sliding tray from Calitop in Germany for our T5.1 Beach.
Cost including delivery was £470, (including import duty etc).
After putting it together, just had to insert the base that was bought separately – 12mm ply and a rubber mat.
Really please with it and it makes accessing the back easier, especially opening the fridge!
Definitely would recommend it.

IMG_5390.jpeg

IMG_5391.jpeg

Last edited:
I just bought and installed our sliding tray from Calitop in Germany for our T5.1 Beach.
Cost including delivery was £470, (after paying import duty etc). After putting it together, just had to insert the base that was bought separately – 12mm ply and a rubber mat.
Really please with it and it makes accessing the back easier, especially opening the fridge!

View attachment 80587

View attachment 80588
Hi, Looks good!

Could I ask where you got your crates & which size crates did you get?

And is the fridge a DOMETIC CFX3 35.

Hi, Looks good!

Could I ask where you got your crates & which size crates did you get?

And is the fridge a DOMETIC CFX3 35.
Thanks.
The fridge is a Dometic CFX3 35
The tray from Calitop is a 'Beach 70'.
The Eurobox configurations can be downloaded from Calitop here.
And I bought the Euroboxes from Plastor in the UK
Hope that helps!
Frank

I just bought and installed a sliding tray from Calitop in Germany for our T5.1 Beach.
Cost including delivery was £470, (including import duty etc).
After putting it together, just had to insert the base that was bought separately – 12mm ply and a rubber mat.

View attachment 80587

View attachment 80588
Love ours wouldn’t be without it

Has anyone purchased the Calicap for the Grand California? Would love to hear your review and see pictures of installed. Or if anyone has done DIY for the Grand California that would also be helpul!
Thanks in advance!

Back