Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Recent real market values? Ie sales

M

markcrawford55

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi folks,

I’m back in the market looking at California’s… the market is quite tough to read… I guess some that bought over Covid are trying to get out without totally losing their shirt…. But even 1 owner 5.1 californias advertised on here with roughly 80k miles seem pretty optimistic for private sales..

This I think is well priced for a dealer… and does quite tempt me… I just keep wondering if I’d wish I bought a DSG. As it will be my daily too.

I’d be towing (car trailer) a few times per year, all within capable limits of DSG… but I wonder how the DSG copes with decent loads compared to manual.

Last time I looked at California’s I started to get a bit freaked out by the roof edge/cowl corrosion… but I think in reality that’s really a cosmetic thing that if happens could be dealt with for a few hundred quid.

Some of the classifieds are way over priced some dealers are cheaper there’s lots up for sale and have been for months be aware of the 180 Bhp engine issues pot luck I believe

Some of the classifieds are way over priced some dealers are cheaper there’s lots up for sale and have been for months be aware of the 180 Bhp engine issues pot luck I believe

Cheers…. Yea, that’s my point.. no offence to the sellers of some on here, but asking retail £ on a private sale… is a bit daft, let alone in current market if you actually want to sell. And most on here have been owned from new.. or a good while, not the covid high buyers.

Hi folks,

I’m back in the market looking at California’s… the market is quite tough to read… I guess some that bought over Covid are trying to get out without totally losing their shirt…. But even 1 owner 5.1 californias advertised on here with roughly 80k miles seem pretty optimistic for private sales..

This I think is well priced for a dealer… and does quite tempt me… I just keep wondering if I’d wish I bought a DSG. As it will be my daily too.

Last time I looked at California’s I started to get a bit freaked out by the roof edge/cowl corrosion… but I think in reality that’s really a cosmetic thing that if happens could be dealt with for a few hundred quid.

We purchased a 2nd hand manual 2012 Beach for £27k, owned for 4 years, sold in Feb 2024 for £32k. (During Covid WBAC offered £35k.)

We purchased a 2nd hand manual 2012 Beach for £27k, owned for 4 years, sold in Feb 2024 for £32k. (During Covid WBAC offered £35k.)

Thanks…. So you bought just before covid hit really.

It would be great to know/see what vans are actually selling for currently… just seems we are at a challenging time of the ask/expectation being but different reality.

Not dissimilar to performance cars… and no doubt other premium toys

This is the van I meant to link to

Not a bad price I agree. Spec is pretty basic but adequate. Looks a bit grubby or had a hard life in some places on the internals. Be wary of it being ex rental with the first owner.

Agree not a bad price but the heating controls are so different...mine is a 2015, and has 8k of options over the base spec at that time.

Agree not a bad price but the heating controls are so different...mine is a 2015, and has 8k of options over the base spec at that time.

Yea…. The different aesthetics internally can make a big difference in look… let alone actual functionality… it’s a bit of a minefield

I defo like the bigger screen dash.. as at least you have options to fit a modern head unit that gives apple car play etc.

Than
Not a bad price I agree. Spec is pretty basic but adequate. Looks a bit grubby or had a hard life in some places on the internals. Be wary of it being ex rental with the first owner.
Thanks Larry…. Is a possibility… they bought the Cali from a ‘van centre’ in wales I believe….. let’s be honest, a mainly car dealer is only going to buy one of these if it was very good value…. So I suspect there may be a story to it.

I don’t think it’s the one for me… and reading some of the positives here regarding DSG. I tbink I need to just bide my time for the right spec DSG Cali.

Than

Thanks Larry…. Is a possibility… they bought the Cali from a ‘van centre’ in wales I believe….. let’s be honest, a mainly car dealer is only going to buy one of these if it was very good value…. So I suspect there may be a story to it.

I don’t think it’s the one for me… and reading some of the positives here regarding DSG. I tbink I need to just bide my time for the right spec DSG Cali.
Time is on your side, end of the season and a waning market, there'll be plenty of choice.

Agree…..

I wasn’t remotely considering the 180 model… and ideally was looking 2015>> but the 2011 model in classified that has had all the engine/EGR/turbos etc might be a good option.. albeit pricey for year.

Defo plenty of research required!!

I looked diligently at all sales platforms over the last couple of months, and the pricing was bizarre. There is no easy reference but you can clearly see the ones that have languished for a long time. You also see the price reductions over time. It's definitely a buyers' market, so patience is needed to find the right one.
You may want to consider the 140 over the 180, and do a remap?

I looked diligently at all sales platforms over the last couple of months, and the pricing was bizarre. There is no easy reference but you can clearly see the ones that have languished for a long time. You also see the price reductions over time. It's definitely a buyers' market, so patience is needed to find the right one.
You may want to consider the 140 over the 180, and do a remap?

Agree…… for sure buyer market, but just seems sellers aren’t feeling or seeing where the market is… it’s the private sales that are higher than I’d expect.

Yes.. 140 mapped is defo a safer option.. the 180 in the classified with all new motor, turbos etc is tempting…. But uktimately I’d fear trying to sell a 180 (regardless of remedial work) and who knows if MOT requirements get stricter in time hence EGR/DPF deletes etc could prove to be a nightmare! It’s probably a great going van tho!!

From my personal experience when I had mine mapped on a low mileage van to almost 180hp, it ate the clutch within 12 months, 160 is probably more reliable

From my personal experience when I had mine mapped on a low mileage van to almost 180hp, it ate the clutch within 12 months, 160 is probably more reliable
Maps always wreck flywheels and clutches eventually. I learnt my lesson the hard way.

I would have thought a good 180 would be ok, and then just get the EGR preemptively replaced. No idea why some people think theirs is ok and carry on using it. Why not replace the bad part before it destroys your engine? Then you’d be good for the life of the van.

Might be stretching your budget, easy to get budget creep, but the T6 has a few minor improvements, while the split glass work top might sound like a minor thing, it is surprisingly useful. Also consider if Euro 5 or Euro 6 emissions are an issue for you.

Yea….. a T6 Cali is more than I’d want spend…. I have seen a few converted T6 vans that look ok… but apart from the roof issues… I just find it hard to look past a California!

I would have thought a good 180 would be ok, and then just get the EGR preemptively replaced. No idea why some people think theirs is ok and carry on using it. Why not replace the bad part before it destroys your engine? Then you’d be good for the life of the van.
Because no one has been able to categorically prove that the EGR cooler is the root cause and not a symptom. Valves with the A,B,C and D suffix have all been involved and also the 199 and 204 engines. Mines was changed at 900 miles in 2014 due to an electricsl fault. Doesn't even have a letter suffix on the label . 10 yrs and 135,000 miles later zero mls oil usage between annual oil changes.

Back