Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Regrets ...... too few to mention

I've just had a confirmed build week of my second Cali Beach T6 (I'm not as rich as this suggests!) and was interested to note the things I've now ordered compared to first time round.
I've still gone Yellow Beach 150 with light interior, parking heater, exterior pack, app connect, interior lights and parking sensors.
Additions ordered on the new one are:
Reverse camera, detachable towbar, 2 extra seats (for other people to join our family fun), power latch boot, electric sliding door, extra sliding window, MFSW with cruise, bumper protector, wind deflectors and DSG transmission.

What have you done/would you do differently on your second Cali?

If I was ordering again I certainly wouldn't remove anything, but depending on how rich I was feeling I would be tempted to add:
  • DSG (although I've still not driven one to know!)
  • LED front lights
  • Power latching sliding door
However DSG and LED lights alone must add up to about 4k so I'm pretty happy with what I've got :) And it's easy to get obsessed with all these gadgets and forget what the real fun of the Cali is - days out and camping :)

Edit: I would also love to choose Yellow but I wouldn't be allowed!!

Can't imagine having a second Cali unless this one implodes / is beamed up / removed in the dead of night by predator..... whatever the extras, and I'm beginning to forget what they were, the basics - great drive, easy camping, heating, privacy , awning etc... now seem like such comfortable reassuring part of existence ....getting a new one would feel like a betrayal somehow...

Hi

As a 2014 Beach owner we love JED lucky to get one of the first one's with ehu only thing I would change IF money was no object would be factory heater and Xenons...

The rest is excellent 140 manual plenty, cruise, 3 zone is excellent dark interior, Roof topper we use also thermal screen cover a must stops condensation...

Colour Blackberry yes it shows up scratches but looks awesome and isn't your standard colour...

Shaun

I started my camper-career with borrowing the converted Transporter T4 from my sister for three trips. This had no comfort(ing) accessories whatsoever. A small Reimo top, a very simple sleeping bench, a non-functioning water supply, no household battery, no fridge, no airco, no noise insulation, no heater and not a very powerfull engine.

Nevertheless It was more comfort than we had ever had in our lightweight tent and gave our travels a new touch of adventure: stop and sleep where you want - that was what we were looking for.

Now I own a 10 year old Cali T5 with quite some luxury inside but I could have done without - because the main charm of a campervan is the flexibility, size and modest looks. In comparison to those other things on wheels...

5943.jpg

I've just had a confirmed build week of my second Cali Beach T6 (I'm not as rich as this suggests!) and was interested to note the things I've now ordered compared to first time round.
I've still gone Yellow Beach 150 with light interior, parking heater, exterior pack, app connect, interior lights and parking sensors.
Additions ordered on the new one are:
Reverse camera, detachable towbar, 2 extra seats (for other people to join our family fun), power latch boot, electric sliding door, extra sliding window, MFSW with cruise, bumper protector, wind deflectors and DSG transmission.

What have you done/would you do differently on your second Cali?
Thats interesting Davey - we had v similar specs first time round ..... as im planning to keep my beach van for 40 years i havnt given much thought to what i might do different - prob tow bar prep / cruise (as i thought that was coming on mine) ... but would def not have electric doors / latching can only see that giving me gip in years to come - i have the extra sliding window (recommended) and one extra seat (but yet to put that back in from day 1) - maybe DSG, but quite like the manual shifter ..... if my maths are right, compared with the residuals of a 40 year old VW Westfalia in reasonable nick my van will be worth more than £300k in 40 years time - cheap motoring in my book ...... i can understand you buying a couple ..... buy three and youll be a millionaire by the time you are 100

Well, I thought I ordered heated seats, but when picking it up I noticed it was not installed. It seems my latest config I emailed the dealer was without this.
Well, I intend to keep it for many years so I have to manage.
Here in sweden i is usually standard with heated seats.

The only disappointment is how feeble the lights are on an unlit road. Thankfully we don't do much night time driving. Will probably go for the expensive xenons next time.

My 2007 T5 SE 180 Tiptronic was already 9 years old when I bought it last year but you'd never know it. It has things I wouldn't have asked for if ordering new, that I'm really loving - electric door, alcantara seats, not sure what else was standard or extra, really thick comfortable mattress I would have had to buy. Climatronic is great, windout awning not so much, would be quite happy without it. The sides for the awning - used once at Lower Lode cos well, everyone else had...... never again! I bought the Cali to rescue myself from erecting things and hammering pegs, madness to do it again! AND they take up too much room when packed.
Carpets - I keep saying I'm going to take them out because they get muddy in winter although they vacuum up well when dry and they do look rather swanky.

Auto is a necessity for me but I haven't even tried the Tiptronic bit - not really sure what it's for, it drives perfectly well in all situations without using that. I really would have loved four wheel drive (I take it that's what 4-motion is) as I'm a bit nervous about driving on muddy fields in case of getting stuck. Don't like the alloy wheels, I'd have been perfectly happy with steels but unlikely to change them unless I go for something that'll take all-terrain tyres.

I bought a porta potti - a good buy, and a melamine dinner set (the mugs tend to stain), and a lot of car-washing sponges for stuffing in spaces to stop things rattling - excellent!

Someone mentioned a problem with rear headrests - again I don't know if this is standard but mine can be hinged down behind the seat at the press of a button, that's really useful.

As I had been looking for a long wheelbase, high top van - and definitely NOT a black one, it's just amazing how much I love my Cali - I can only echo what both my grandchildren (boy and girl, 10 and 15) have said quite independently of each other "I love riding in this van, it makes me feel special! "

I couldn't live without the dsg box but the best option by far is the led lights. The difference is amazing. They also look very smart in daytime running mode.

Back