Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

REMAP

curtisnash said:
Terry I admire your tenacity but you are going to have your work cut out trying to sell remaps into this forum these are camper vans after all.

I would suggest you actually sell something that makes for longer turbo lag to give long leisurely starts and reduces the overall power by at least 30% this may then also save fuel and work with the Blue Motion System that does about the same thing. A set of 10inch wheels and high lift suspension will be a winner as well along with a badge with a tree on it. You could then market a whole range of products into this forum a Pendal branded colostomy bag with an attachment that fits into the sink would be a hot seller it will of course need to be VW authorised but as I am 63 next month I can help you test this out if you supply the booze. Although it may be to late as I have very nearly sozzled myself laughing reading this thread.

Also on a personal note Terry will you stop underpricing my Van it was 62k thanks plus 4k for wheels and leather not 55k. You did a great job remapping it, as a pensioner with a bus pass I should of course be in a home and not driving but until that time I now enjoy a lack of turbo lack that was IMO dangerous and greater flexibility and speed. Well done and thanks. :D

Curtis

LOL indeed. And it wasn't your van i was referring to at 55k ;)

:goodone

A set of 10inch wheels and high lift suspension will be a winner as well

Tyre profiles? - Don't get me started on that :lol:

I had my Phaeton done not yet had the Van done.

I always have mine done on the rolling road, rather than just an ECU flash, so the behaviour during the tune is monitored and modified accordingly. More than once a tune has been 'dialled back' once we can see the actual curves after each modification and run on the rollers in order to not overstretch the components more than necessary (you have already bought into some risk by taking the step).

Now on the Phaeton we went from 192PS to 265PS and from 450NM to 585NM on run 9. He managed 265PS on the 3rd run. On run 7 he hit over 610NM still at 265PS but as the guy had done his research he knew the ZF box was rated for 600NM so runs 8 & 9 were going down, to 585, not up.

The big big difference was peak torque went from 2800 RPM where it dropped dramatically off to the max of 4,800. This was where he dedicated his attention from runs 3 to 7 and managed a smooth power curve from 1000RPM to 4200RPM and a much slower fall off to 4800. Power at 2,800 was higher than the stock figure as well. On the way home I thought I had 2 extra cylinders.

All this equated to one thing short sprints around cars or lorries on the motorways. It was never going to be a race car and spent 90% of its time on cruise between 70-80. I also got 10% fuel economy after the tune. 36mpg on the 3.0 diesel 4Motion which weighed in at 2.75 tonnes was nice and better than my van by 5mpg (31 at 70, 24 at 80 and 33 at 60). 100,000 miles later I sold the car. Only thing it needed was servicing. Zero issues with the tune at MOT time on the emissions.

As it later turned out VW sell this engine in a marine format and its PS output is ... 265PS, the same as we safely achieved. This did show that VW had deliberately detuned the car, and they might well have had good reason, I did not find that reason in the subsequent 100,000 miles. The car had 60,000 miles on it when I had the tune done and 160,000 when I sold it re-flashed to standard.

Cost was about £450.

These things are for the minority for sure and you have to buy into the risk, but if done right that risk can be minimised.

RS Tuning in Leeds did the work.

Never a truer word said, get it done properly and it won't damage your vehicles.

It's all about sticking within what the car can do, not tuning the backside out of it.

As I said before, these are people's pride and joys, I drive a T5 daily - mines kitted out, pop up roof etc so we know what we can and can't do with them.

Not 100% true, Pendle Performance were tuning these from day 1, they also got into the newer 12 plate EDC17 ecu's before most others did. Only today we tuned a 180bi Turbo 4000 mile old four motion California. It took about 2 hours from start to finish. On another note, Pendle don't put a line of code into their tuned files which prevents anyone reading it like Revo do, if it goes wrong you have to hope that Revo have a record of the file somewhere, unlike the poor T5 owner last week who needs a new ECU because they are unable to decode it along with the original tuner going bust :cool

Hi just thinking of having my 2015 4 motion Cali SE remapped and reading Pendleton have good name . Is it still possible on my van ?

I took my humble T5 to Pendle HQ for a remap & it was transformed - I wanted to get up long steep French autoroute hills without having to drop to fourth gear & it certainly achieved that in spades.

Before & After torque:rpm lines were very telling, the final output was an arrow straight diagonal line all the way up to the limiter. Any theoretical mpg savings are lost by the corrupting influence of additional oomph.

Haven’t felt the need for more go in my T6 140 DSG yet, but again would be nice if it didn’t drop to 6th or 5th at higher cruise-controlled speeds. We will most likely pay another visit to Pendle on its third birthday.

Hi just thinking of having my 2015 4 motion Cali SE remapped and reading Pendleton have good name . Is it still possible on my van ?

Hi there.

Yes, Pendle performance have been tuning the T5.1's from 2010 and the euro6 T6's from day one.

Now we are never going to turn these into sports cars however increase in torque and bhp makes them a joy to drive as they pull a lot easier.

We provide before and after print outs and we keep all the original software for later (if you sell the Cali etc).

Regards

Terry

I took my humble T5 to Pendle HQ for a remap & it was transformed - I wanted to get up long steep French autoroute hills without having to drop to fourth gear & it certainly achieved that in spades.

Before & After torque:rpm lines were very telling, the final output was an arrow straight diagonal line all the way up to the limiter. Any theoretical mpg savings are lost by the corrupting influence of additional oomph.

Haven’t felt the need for more go in my T6 140 DSG yet, but again would be nice if it didn’t drop to 6th or 5th at higher cruise-controlled speeds. We will most likely pay another visit to Pendle on its third birthday.
I had a 140, these suffer from lag between gears, it really helps with that more than anything (with a little boost in power obviously :) )

Back