Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Remoska on campsites

Bleur fleur

Bleur fleur

VIP Member
Has anyone used a remoska on foreign campsites? We had a kettle that tripped the switch on the hook up. Please can you explain any electrical info in layman terms!!

Having googled remoska, these are 470 or 650 watt slow cookers so shouldn't pose a problem load wise on hookup unlike a 2-3KW kettle.

There is a remote possibility for them to be a nuisance rcd tripper though....being a heating element.

Simon

Bleur fleur said:
Has anyone used a remoska on foreign campsites? We had a kettle that tripped the switch on the hook up. Please can you explain any electrical info in layman terms!!

Most UK sites are rated at 16 amps but not many Continental sites can deliver the same volume of electricity. Often only 6 amps (sometimes 10) which means that if your electrical appliance need a fairly high volume of electricity (like kettles and slow cookers) and works in UK hook ups, it might not necessarily work on Continental hookups that deliver less - and consequently will trip the fuse.

It's 50 years since I knew the formula to work it all out but someone will post them later in the day I'm sure.

Good luck :thumb

470 Watts = 2.05 Amps
650 Watts = 2.83 Amps
2KW (2000 Watts) = 8.69 Amps
3KW (3000 Watts) = 13.05 Amps

6 Amps = 1380 Watts = 1.38 KW
10 Amps = 2300 Watts = 2.3 KW

All assuming harmonised 230V AC :thumb

Simon

The formula is

I x V = Watts

Which can be rearranged in the normal manner to deliver the required value.

As Simon says some of this is based on assumption that the supply is ~ 230v, in the UK we should have a nominal 230v RMS so it's 230 / .707 (This means you can actually see a peak of around 325v at a UK socket however almost all volt meters measure in RMS so you only see the ~230v)

Used the small Remoska for years on home and abroad sites and never on its own have trip the breaker. Just common sense really if you use it with electric kettle + toaster + fridge then you probably will. paul.

Just used our Remoska ( large one ) in France with no issue. The remoska pulls very little current as stated above so should be ok on nearly every campsite. 5 amps is the least I've had on site,however I have had a few 200v supplies due to voltage drop on the site installation and this pushes up the current a bit.
We had toad in the hole , cooked pizza and a full chicken with roasts. Great piece of kit just expensive.

I can also vouch for the Remoska. We have used it camping in France and it was great warming up Croissants. We also used the base of the Remoska to cook thing on the gas hob so it doubles up as a large saucepan as well as a great little mini oven. We also now use it at home for jacket potatoes, casserole, lasagne etc..

Thanks guys. I have inherited a small one and did not want to lug it to France if it proved to be useless.(like the Cobb in the south of France) such a disappointment. i have made some lovely muffins this week and will try other recipes before the summer.
One further question...I tend to use the electric in the awning for a fridge, kettle and lights. I plug the Cali in every few nights if I haven't been out for a drive....so, would the Remoska be ok to use in the Cali, or better in the awning on top of the domestic fridge?

Muffins now they sound great :thumb my mother uses a ramoska at home for everything
I though about buying one This has almost made my mind up. Need to try a muffin to be completely persuaded :laugh2 :laugh2 I would if you have power to your awning use it in there :thumb

Charcoal BBQs are banned on sites in theSouth of France... You have to use gas ones instead.
Never mind though, I always use the Cobb to BBQ at home.

Bleur fleur said:
Charcoal BBQs are banned on sites in theSouth of France... You have to use gas ones instead.
Never mind though, I always use the Cobb to BBQ at home.

I think you can overcome this by using the COBB fuel.

To answer the question is the Remoska ok inside the Cali the answer is Yes.
We sit ours on a chopping board on the hob/sink glass top. Also crack the window a bit to get some air circulating . The only issue we had was the upstairs smelt like roast chicken when we went to bed. :D