Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Removal of faulty fridge controller from T5 Cali without taking out the fridge...

• Thread starter MysteryMachine-Gruff
  • Start date
MysteryMachine-Gruff

MysteryMachine-Gruff

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hi all - long time fan, first time poster.

Have found many threads about the fridge and the faults. Thanks to those I have been able to diagnose that it is the controller. I tried other leisure batteries, other fuses etc. and the clear fault is the controller.

Other posts have told me the model number of the part so I have identified which bit needs to come out. I have also seen that people have been able to get it out through the access hole near the gas switch/water dump.

My question is how? Whenever I try and lever it, it looks like it is connected to the compressor and other bits under the fridge. I don't want to force it wrongly as I don't need the expense of replacing compressor too!

I have been able to unplug the wires going to it, but can't see any screws holding it in.

Any advice?

Thanks

Hi all - long time fan, first time poster.

Have found many threads about the fridge and the faults. Thanks to those I have been able to diagnose that it is the controller. I tried other leisure batteries, other fuses etc. and the clear fault is the controller.

Other posts have told me the model number of the part so I have identified which bit needs to come out. I have also seen that people have been able to get it out through the access hole near the gas switch/water dump.

My question is how? Whenever I try and lever it, it looks like it is connected to the compressor and other bits under the fridge. I don't want to force it wrongly as I don't need the expense of replacing compressor too!

I have been able to unplug the wires going to it, but can't see any screws holding it in.

Any advice?

Thanks
I did it on my T5, it is a pain in the arse and you cut your hands to bits but can be done. I think you have possibly not disconnected the wire that goes from the control unit to the compressor. It can't be seen, only felt but is a 3 pin plug that goes into compressor and will pull out if you get your finger nails behind it......After that pull and twist the control unit every possible way and eventually it will come out......

Hello MMG
I had the same problem last year and tried desperately to get the controller out without removing the fridge itself but in the end gave up and went for it.
I was surprised that it was not that difficult to get the fridge out and made the job of changing the controller really easy.
Whist I was doing the job I added a computer PC type low voltage fan and switch to the cupboard wall area to provide cooling air to the controller when outside ambient temperatures are high which seems to contribute to the controllers failing.
There is a already an electric connection on the controller for the addition of a fan as many compressors of this type in larger Motorhomes with more space have fan fitted as standard.
I bought a new controller from Penguin Refrigeration ( £....gasp ).... but fitting it myself saved a lot of money over getting VW to change it.
There are quite a few videos on Penguin's website.

Happy to help if I can.

Back