Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Replacement of entire door card/trim to fix faulty interior handle

NRDSRFR

NRDSRFR

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hello,
I have a LHD 2006 SE. The right hand (passenger in this case) interior door handle doesn't open the door now. The exterior handle does however. My mechanic said I need to replace the entire door card because of some piece that broke which the handle attaches to.
Presuming this is the correct solution, I now have the issue of finding a replacement part, as he says it's discontinued. No surprise there really as I'm struggling to find one. The problem is that when searching for the part I mostly find the updated version.

First Question - Are the newer style door trims compatible? I'm worried the way the speaker grille is oriented that my speaker won't fit inside it as it's pushed back

Here is mine
IMG_2254.jpeg

And here is the newer style part. Notice the speaker grille is set in further.
1602069196605.png

Next Question - Do I have to buy a LHD right hand panel or can I buy one from a RHD and swap the window switch piece?

I saw one on eBay with the switch trims removed as below, so it looks like I may be able to keep my existing trims since the switches for the driver (both windows, mirrors) are on the left in my case.
1602069539377.png

Understanding the answers opens up more options to me, I have seen a pair of matching panels for example: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-T5-Tr...river-Passenger-side-No-switches/233732430782 but I don't want to order and find out after that they need to be LHD

I had this issue on my 2010, drivers side a few years ago. MOT failure. Kwik Fit managed to go inside the door card and fix it for £30. Maybe worth a try with a local mechanic.

I had this issue on my 2010, drivers side a few years ago. MOT failure. Kwik Fit managed to go inside the door card and fix it for £30. Maybe worth a try with a local mechanic.
Ditto for a 2007 Cali. Was fixed/botched a half dozen years ago by VW Van dealer for a few quid by re-joining a broken component through a drilled hole in the door pad, glueing and then covering the hole over with a small VW badge. They seemed to have had quite a bit of experience doing this!!!

Hello,
I have a LHD 2006 SE. The right hand (passenger in this case) interior door handle doesn't open the door now. The exterior handle does however. My mechanic said I need to replace the entire door card because of some piece that broke which the handle attaches to.
Presuming this is the correct solution, I now have the issue of finding a replacement part, as he says it's discontinued. No surprise there really as I'm struggling to find one. The problem is that when searching for the part I mostly find the updated version.

First Question - Are the newer style door trims compatible? I'm worried the way the speaker grille is oriented that my speaker won't fit inside it as it's pushed back

Here is mine
View attachment 67493

And here is the newer style part. Notice the speaker grille is set in further.
View attachment 67494

Next Question - Do I have to buy a LHD right hand panel or can I buy one from a RHD and swap the window switch piece?

I saw one on eBay with the switch trims removed as below, so it looks like I may be able to keep my existing trims since the switches for the driver (both windows, mirrors) are on the left in my case.
View attachment 67495

Understanding the answers opens up more options to me, I have seen a pair of matching panels for example: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-T5-Tr...river-Passenger-side-No-switches/233732430782 but I don't want to order and find out after that they need to be LHD
Hi,
I have a RHD Cali, same year as yours which has just developed the same problem. It’s with the local VW mechanic atm and he’s talking about a trying to source a 2nd hand panel.
Have you resolved your issue? I’m a bit desperate as the mot is due . Thanks

Real shame I have just taken one to the tip. Advertised it but no takers so it had to go.

Ah well, you never see these things coming. I’ve been in touch with VW Commercial in Beeston In Nottingham who seem to be familiar with the issue and say they can fix it without recourse to a new panel. Next Wednesday! It’ll be fine by the end of the month .
Thanks anyway. M

Real shame I have just taken one to the tip. Advertised it but no takers so it had to go.

Oh what a shame. I’m still searching I’m ready to dive into a tip for one at this rate!

Does anyone know if the newer panel fits? I presume it should but the speaker grille looks set back I’m just worried it won’t clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh what a shame. I’m still searching I’m ready to dive into a tip for one at this rate!

Does anyone know if the newer panel fits? I presume it should but the speaker grille looks set back I’m just worried it won’t clear.

The panel of a 2010 and upwards European (with Multivan interior) California will fit. Just the grey will be a bit different.

Are you able to take the door card off? And show us what is wrong?
2 bolts behind the upper trim (comes off upwards).
1 bolt under the rubber inlay in the top part.
2 or 3 bolts at the bottom.
Then pulling the card away from the door. Watch the plastic clips, they might break.

Ah well, you never see these things coming. I’ve been in touch with VW Commercial in Beeston In Nottingham who seem to be familiar with the issue and say they can fix it without recourse to a new panel. Next Wednesday! It’ll be fine by the end of the month .
Thanks anyway. M
Me again - MOTUS in Beeston, Nottingham, despite originally saying they could fix the door handle, handed it back to me unfixed and with the suggestion to look on eBay - £50 for that, ker-ching.
So I’m still looking and getting a bit desperate as the MOT is due at the end on November. Any further advice, pointers, T5 2006 right door cards... all welcome. Thanks.

Me again - MOTUS in Beeston, Nottingham, despite originally saying they could fix the door handle, handed it back to me unfixed and with the suggestion to look on eBay - £50 for that, ker-ching.
So I’m still looking and getting a bit desperate as the MOT is due at the end on November. Any further advice, pointers, T5 2006 right door cards... all welcome. Thanks.

My mechanic phoned me this afternoon and said he managed to fix it...with a screw somewhere. So for now I don’t need a new door panel

I’m sorry but I’m guessing that he put it together already and hasn’t taken a photo of it but I can try to ask how when I pick up tomorrow.

There is hope yet!

Hi,
I have a RHD Cali, same year as yours which has just developed the same problem. It’s with the local VW mechanic atm and he’s talking about a trying to source a 2nd hand panel.
Have you resolved your issue? I’m a bit desperate as the mot is due . Thanks
Sadly not, and I’m in the same position as you - MOT due in 3 weeks. I’m checking eBay for a 2nd hand card, but comparability seems to be an issue even though they look identical.
please let me know if you resolve yours.

My mechanic phoned me this afternoon and said he managed to fix it...with a screw somewhere. So for now I don’t need a new door panel

I’m sorry but I’m guessing that he put it together already and hasn’t taken a photo of it but I can try to ask how when I pick up tomorrow.

There is hope yet!

Thanks for letting me know. I’ll suggest it to my mechanic...

Thanks for letting me know. I’ll suggest it to my mechanic...

They told me they just put a screw in place to guide the lock cable(?) or mechanism which is usually guided by a little piece of plastic which is part of the door card and in my case broke off.
good luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back