Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Replacing euro inverter socket with UK 3-pin - possible?

H

haydnw2

VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Has anyone replaced the inverter socket in a T5.1 with a UK 3-pin version instead? Adapters are annoying and I just think a UK socket would look neater. However, I have not the first clue about electrics, and couldn't find anything on here about it being done previously, so I have no idea whether it's just a case of replacing the face plate with a CBE / C-line one and swapping a couple of wires, or something far more involved.

IMG_0342.JPGIMG_0343.JPG

Has anyone replaced the inverter socket in a T5.1 with a UK 3-pin version instead? Adapters are annoying and I just think a UK socket would look neater. However, I have not the first clue about electrics, and couldn't find anything on here about it being done previously, so I have no idea whether it's just a case of replacing the face plate with a CBE / C-line one and swapping a couple of wires, or something far more involved.

View attachment 61344View attachment 61345
Unfortunately No. The socket is integral with the 150w inverter.

Theoretically yes but practically no as WG says: one of the issues is it has a switch built into the Euro socket that turns the inverter on when something is plugged in.

my experience (of the socket falling off and into the pillar) was that doing it from the outside was never going to happen. I cut off the faceplate and managed to fish out the socket innards but the VW designers obviously got paid for every millimetre of cable they saved and I found it impossible to reattach the socket to the back of the faceplate from the outside so I just dropped it back inside and left it for another day (and bought a cheap 120W cigar lighter inverter...)

So whatever happens you will be opening up the pillar to get at the innards - I guess it could be physically arranged to replace it with a UK socket but you would also need to work out how the switching signal went to the inverter to power it on - hopefully just a simple pair of wires that you could put a toggle switch on

I just use that socket for a 50w Euro Mosquito/Insect Repellant. No adapter needed. It vaporises a liquid. Widely available and means the Cali is always insect free without the need of mosquito or midge netting over doors and windows.

Thanks all - sounds like more than a faceplate swap, and since I'm not entirely sure I have a valid use case in mind for the socket yet anyway, it's probably one to leave for another day.

I have a two-pin European style kettle lead that plugs into several of my chargers, but it doesn’t get used much, as I try to get 12V adapters for as many devices as I can. The inverter doesn’t deliver enough current for very many mains devices, so modifying the unit doesn’t seem worth the effort, even if it was straightforward.

Is that your website erbster? A question re your solar install - where have you connected your solar charger to under the passenger seat? Your text says a "relay" - do you know which one / what it does / and how did you connect into it? I am curious because I wasn't aware that any vehicle power went beyond the dashboard and I thought that everything under the seat was leisure battery related. Always handy to know what power you can pick up where :)

It's a shame that as far as I know the leisure batteries don't go any further forward than the seats as it would be handy to have the option to run the radio from them.

Is that your website erbster? A question re your solar install - where have you connected your solar charger to under the passenger seat? Your text says a "relay" - do you know which one / what it does / and how did you connect into it? I am curious because I wasn't aware that any vehicle power went beyond the dashboard and I thought that everything under the seat was leisure battery related. Always handy to know what power you can pick up where :)

It's a shame that as far as I know the leisure batteries don't go any further forward than the seats as it would be handy to have the option to run the radio from them.
The split charge relay is under the passenger seat allowing the engine alternator to charge the Leisure Batteries when the engine is running. The radio is controlled by the vehicle computer regarding power so will still switch off after 20 mains.

We just have a 3-pin UK socket on a short pigtail lead ending in a 2-pin Euro plug. Enables you to plug something in without skinning your knuckles every time!

Yes, Steve that’s my blog. As Welshgas said, the relay is for the charger. The installation instructions were excellent.

Your question about the radio is a very common one. The radio draws a lot of current; the best solution IMO is a Bluetooth speaker - a cheap and portable way to play music/podcasts/listen to radio in and around van whilst camping.

Back