Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Retrofitting 80 L fuel tank?

Can't understand 500 miles driving plus about 8 or 9 hours work being routine.
Thats the world of running your own company & finding generally that historic building don't come to you, you go to them.

We have a 70l tank and regularly do between 500 - 600 miles before refilling, happy with that. By retrofitting an 80l tank might that make the van overweight? If so I suppose that would make the vehicle illegal and not help any warranty claims with VW.

Thats the world of running your own company & finding generally that historic building don't come to you, you go to them.
Know those joys, up at 3.10am for 4am start and home usually by 6pm for 6 days per week with office work on top.
only the self employed understand those joys.

Trip to Spain would need two fill ups but the next fill up in Spain wouldn't be needed until much later saving holiday time.
I reckon I could get from the French Eurotunnel Terminal to the Spanish border without a refuel with my 80L tank. The best I’ve done so far is 1083Km on a single tank and that was fully laden with four passengers and four bikes on the back.

I certainly would not expect to refuel more than once.

I used to tow a caravan with a 2 litre petrol Honda CRV. By the time I had left the never ending way out of some French service aire I needed to refill!

So imagine my enjoyment when getting 630 miles when travelling from Swansea and refilling again in Strasbourg in my T5.

We have a 70l tank and regularly do between 500 - 600 miles before refilling, happy with that. By retrofitting an 80l tank might that make the van overweight? If so I suppose that would make the vehicle illegal and not help any warranty claims with VW.
For simplicity taking 10 litres of fuel as weighing 10kgs which will be reduced to zero in approx 30 miles I would doubt that extra loading making it overweight and having any relationship to any warranty issue seems hard to imagine.

For simplicity taking 10 litres of fuel as weighing 10kgs which will be reduced to zero in approx 30 miles I would doubt that extra loading making it overweight and having any relationship to any warranty issue seems hard to imagine.
If true, why do VW seem to be concerned about it? I am sure the police would be very interested in an overweight vehicle in the event of an accident, as would one's insurance company. "Sorry Officer, I was just burning off some fuel to bring my van to within weight limits" is I doubt going to have much going for it. Just my view.

If true, why do VW seem to be concerned about it? I am sure the police would be very interested in an overweight vehicle in the event of an accident, as would one's insurance company. "Sorry Officer, I was just burning off some fuel to bring my van to within weight limits" is I doubt going to have much going for it. Just my view.
IMO this is an emission's driven restriction not safety. Just like the standard 115 tyres.

IMO this is an emission's driven restriction not safety. Just like the standard 115 tyres.
Driving an overweight vehicle on a public highway is illegal, whatever the reason.

Looks to me as if with the new emissions criteria and all factory fitted options have to be included in the actual emission figure produced then that potential, small amount, could be enough to push it beyond the target range.
Nothing to do with Grosse weight and load carrying capacity.

Police wouldn't be looking for a small load excess. Usually 10% on an axle, not the vehicle grosse weight only.
I'm sure you've seen many a vehicle with rear end droop which would be a red flag to the Police or DVSA for axle overloading.

Being a female I Don’t quite understand this “I can drive 800 miles in a day thing” Is this a form of being a male dick measuring? Surely going on holiday is supposed to be a pleasure and staying in lots of new places....If you want to get to Spain in a day why not just fly there and hire a van when you get there. You might just as well sooner than spending many many hours on boring French motorways.

Being a female I Don’t quite understand this “I can drive 800 miles in a day thing” Is this a form of being a male dick measuring? Surely going on holiday is supposed to be a pleasure and staying in lots of new places....If you want to get to Spain in a day why not just fly there and hire a van when you get there. You might just as well sooner than spending many many hours on boring French motorways.

If it is my post you are referring to, you have misunderstood.

We can cover the distance to Spain on a single 80L tank. I mentioned nothing about the time.

Agree with your sentiment.

Was a time when I would rush to holiday destination and need up to a week to wind down.
Wisdom prevailed with a leisurely travel plan and wind down on the way with the holiday being more relaxed and enjoyable.
Difficult to give up that 'mustn't stop' male thing entirely.

Not everyone is retired with infinite time...
I enjoy Switzerland/Austria and many parts of the alps.
I don’t want to spend 3 days getting there and 4 days driving back when I can do it in 1.
I’ve even driven to Chamonix for a long weekend.

I wouldn’t have thought that Switzerland wasn’t a particularly long way, I think what most are talking about is going Through France into Spain or Portugal in a day. Me my husband (In normal times) go to the Algarve every spring but not in the van. A return trip would be 4000 miles and our weeks holiday would be over by the time we got there. The tolls alone would cost more than our airfares...

If it is my post you are referring to, you have misunderstood.

We can cover the distance to Spain on a single 80L tank. I mentioned nothing about the time.
Didn’t know I was replying to your post..Can you really get 800 miles from a 80 Ltr tank.? That’s fantastic.

Looks to me as if with the new emissions criteria and all factory fitted options have to be included in the actual emission figure produced then that potential, small amount, could be enough to push it beyond the target range.
Nothing to do with Grosse weight and load carrying capacity.

Police wouldn't be looking for a small load excess. Usually 10% on an axle, not the vehicle grosse weight only.
I'm sure you've seen many a vehicle with rear end droop which would be a red flag to the Police or DVSA for axle overloading.
Not sure it is an emission rule, continental configs even allow you to have VW provide an increased load rating at order so maybe it is a U.K. rule? For example, beach camper is not available as 7 seats in U.K. but it is in EU (along with 4mo etc).

..If you want to get to Spain in a day why not just fly there and hire a van when you get there. You might just as well sooner than spending many many hours on boring French motorways.

I'm not stopping you flying there. If you have to ask the question perhaps a california is not for you.

By the same token, I can't understand why anyone would want to get up at usually the most inconvenient time, pay a fortune to park in an airport car park, spend hours hanging around in an airport, to be crammed on metal tube & get thrown through the air, join the scrum to get off, the scrum to get the luggage, scrum for a hire car drive. Get to your villa with the first day of your holiday almost over.
Then spend the next 6 days looking forward to doing it in reverse.

I used to fly multiple times a week for work, I absolutely hate airports.

Last edited:
Probably Tom

Was just trying to point out that driving ten hours a day was legal & in fact something that a lot of people do very often.

Totally separate point about the speed limit, then put the two together.

"As a general rule the drivers of courier vans under 3.5t are subject to limits of 50km/h in towns, 90km/h on open roads (80km/h in wet conditions), 110 km/h on dual carriageways (100km/h when wet) and 130km/h on motorways (110km/h when wet)."

Appears the increased AdBlue tank capacity (27L from 10L in the MY21 Cali) that is pushing front axle weights over the limits, combined with 199/204 motors and 4Mo.

Appears the increased AdBlue tank capacity (27L from 10L in the MY21 Cali) that is pushing front axle weights over the limits, combined with 199/204 motors and 4Mo.
That would make sense.

Logic would then suggest that there is an anticipated large increase in adblue consumption as part of the new emissions set up.

That would make sense.

Logic would then suggest that there is an anticipated large increase in adblue consumption as part of the new emissions set up.
that would be the logical assumption. Isn't there an additional cat too which could account for the increased consumption

I’ve done Chamonix in 13hrs.
770 miles
It wasn’t that tiring in all honesty.

I can think of much worse.
Infact, I saw a mum overshoot the junction this morning outside the local school. If she wasn’t on her phone, she might not have almost hit the car coming the other way... :headbang

I’ve done Chamonix in 13hrs.
770 miles
It wasn’t that tiring in all honesty.

I can think of much worse.
Infact, I saw a mum overshoot the junction this morning outside the local school. If she wasn’t on her phone, she might not have almost hit the car coming the other way... :headbang
Is that from Dover? Or Caen. I’ve done it from Dover and it’s around 550 miles.

Is that from Dover? Or Caen. I’ve done it from Dover and it’s around 550 miles.

Warwickshire to Cham, via Eurotunnel.

Back