Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

RODENT ATTACK - BLOWN FUSES??

Tocosan

Tocosan

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Rodent damage - Possibly blown fuses? - My oil lamp started flashing with the message indicating I should go to the workshop. Also I had a Start-Stop Error message (start stop was not working). Booked into SMG Cowfold Monday, where they quickly discovered that the three wires coming out of the oil pressure monitor had beed severed, probably by a rat. This was fixed (£around 160) and all was good. Thursday the oil lamp flashed again. I checked under the van and found that the newly repaired cable had been cut again. I repaired the wires myself and plugged it back in. Using my Carista I tried to reset the alarms. They reset and then returned immediately. Codes I get are 16230, 9453842, 9479189 - SIGNAL WIRE FOR AIR QUALITY SENSOR: OPEN CIRCUIT/SHORT CIRCUIT TO B+, 9481748 - High pressure sensor: open circuit to Ground. Also start stop does not work. I am hoping that the faults are due to a fuse being blown somewhere. Can anyone suggest if the cut cables could have resulted in a blown fuse, and if so which fuse/s should be checked?

Rodent damage - Possibly blown fuses? - My oil lamp started flashing with the message indicating I should go to the workshop. Also I had a Start-Stop Error message (start stop was not working). Booked into SMG Cowfold Monday, where they quickly discovered that the three wires coming out of the oil pressure monitor had beed severed, probably by a rat. This was fixed (£around 160) and all was good. Thursday the oil lamp flashed again. I checked under the van and found that the newly repaired cable had been cut again. I repaired the wires myself and plugged it back in. Using my Carista I tried to reset the alarms. They reset and then returned immediately. Codes I get are 16230, 9453842, 9479189 - SIGNAL WIRE FOR AIR QUALITY SENSOR: OPEN CIRCUIT/SHORT CIRCUIT TO B+, 9481748 - High pressure sensor: open circuit to Ground. Also start stop does not work. I am hoping that the faults are due to a fuse being blown somewhere. Can anyone suggest if the cut cables could have resulted in a blown fuse, and if so which fuse/s should be checked?
There are Fuse Diagrams in the Forum Resources section for VIP members. If not for the T6 check the T5 fuse diagrams, very little difference between the two. Actual Fuse position can vary between vehicles depending on options fitted but the fuse rating and which fusebox section is accurate

There are Fuse Diagrams in the Forum Resources section for VIP members. If not for the T6 check the T5 fuse diagrams, very little difference between the two. Actual Fuse position can vary between vehicles depending on options fitted but the fuse rating and which fusebox section is accurate
Thanks I will check that out - just looking for a common point that might explain why I have many error codes from these severed wires. Could the ECU itself have been damaged?

Thanks I will check that out - just looking for a common point that might explain why I have many error codes from these severed wires. Could the ECU itself have been damaged?
Unlikely.

Unlikely.
Thanks for the information about the fuse diagrams. I have been through them all and have been unable to find anything that ties up with the error codes. So I am at a loss at the moment. I saw on one of the threads that disconnecting the battery and touching the cables together could discharge any capacitive build up. Another recommended disconnecting just the negative for 30 minutes. Neither of these were in total relation to my fault codes but it might be worth a try, otherwise its another garage job.

Might be cheaper to have an auto electrician take a look. They can check for continuity and other odd electrical behaviour. There may be intermittent issues caused by the rodent which the dealer might not have picked up on.

The Air Quality Sensor (G238) and High Pressure Sender (G65) share both grounds and power.

They have separate signal wires, so no common linkage.

Fuse SC30 (10 Amp - Edited conflict in diagrams confirmed 10A) supplies them both - but it would also cause far more fault codes if blown, as it feeds other numerous devices as well.

I would carefully check the power wire and ground wires are intact along whole the length near the damage. The grounds and power are spliced in the engine bay harness. So if you have only one black wire (12V from SC30) and one brown wire (Earth) at the place it has been cut, then that is before the spice and could be the common point of failure. If you have a meter you could check for power and ground at the cut and at the sensors if you can get to them.

A

Last edited:
Once you’ve resolved this @Tocosan then maybe invest in some anti rodent measures. You can get chilli infused tape to wrap around exposed cables or use a spray (easier but needs regular treatment).

IMG_0126.png

IMG_0125.png

The Air Quality Sensor (G238) and High Pressure Sender (G65) share both grounds and power.

They have separate signal wires, so no common linkage.

Fuse SC30 (30 Amp) supplies them both - but it would also cause far more fault codes if blown, as it feeds other numerous devices as well.

I would carefully check the power wire and ground wires are intact along whole the length near the damage. The grounds and power are spliced in the engine bay harness. So if you have only one black wire (12V from SC30) and one brown wire (Earth) at the place it has been cut, then that is before the spice and could be the common point of failure. If you have a meter you could check for power and ground at the cut and at the sensors if you can get to them.

A
Thanks very much you pointed me to the right fuse. Although SC30 is 10Amp on my 2018 T6. I checked it and it was blown. Replaced and all is good again.

Once you’ve resolved this @Tocosan then maybe invest in some anti rodent measures. You can get chilli infused tape to wrap around exposed cables or use a spray (easier but needs regular treatment).

View attachment 115569

View attachment 115570
Good suggestion, I did put a length of shrink wrap along the length of the repair and then covered the whole cable with aluminium tape. I shall now look at these deterrents as there are many other exposed tasty wires in easy rodent and fox reach. Thanks

Back