Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rodent damage...

Hello Jay586. Do you mean the poisonous stuff? If so the downside would seem to be that they may die in some inaccessible space in the vehicle and rot there.

In order to get in the vehicle I presume they must climb up, which means they must climb up the wheels I presume?
So something surrounding the wheels?

Thanks for that suggestion, Welsh Gas, that does seem to make sense. The question is what might do the trick?

I'm hoping that someone might feed back their experience of the electronic ultrasound deterrents.

Thanks for that suggestion, Welsh Gas, that does seem to make sense. The question is what might do the trick?

I'm hoping that someone might feed back their experience of the electronic ultrasound deterrents.
There are Repellant Rodent Sprays for Cars.

We had field mice in the garage and tried the ultrasonic mouse plug in (3 in total) regretfully they did not help and we had to use conventional traps.

Hmm, true, problem is if they do further damage whilst avoiding traps.

Suggestion was because we went through natural traps, food baited traps, then eventually poison from a pest guy as the issue persisted and ended up with a massive dead rat flat out in the composter, a couple of houses back.

is the cali your everyday car ? I wonder if you drive the car every day this may be less a problem ?

We had mice nesting in the battery storage compartment. Persistent little blighters... I saw them at the tyre and opened the bonnet only to have 4 pairs of eyes look up at me before scattering... They destroyed the ‘carpet’ in the battery box to build a nest...
Me too!

We live in the countryside, mice are a problem but lots of traps keeps numbers down, we use little Victor traps, work with no bait. Also keep front wheels pointing straight ahead, on full lock easy access for the little buggers.

Remember damage to your wiring loom is very serious stuff.

I have had some evidence in the battery box indicating access via tyres on lock but never anywhere else.

http://www.victorpest.co.uk/victor-easy-set-mouse-trap

We had a mouse or a few in our cali once whilst it was parked up
in a rural spot for a week.
They had a great time, breakfast in the cupboards, then made a nest with
the bog roll in the rear shelves.
They even made it into the rear overhead locker.

It took me about 4hrs to disinfest the van ( apparently they can´t stop pissing )
I think they got in by the wheels, then on the under carriage and up through
where the outlet is for the waste water.

There was a post about someone sealing around the waste hose but i can´t
find it.

5A56349A-759C-4039-AB61-F8BC5BE90A2F.jpeg Had a good look round the waste pipe from inside as outside the view is obscured by plastic under tray. Looks like there is a rubber grommet fitted around the pipe that should hopefully stop an inquisitive mouse? Might need to clean a little round the pipe though as clearly some dirt in this area :eek:

Has anyone tried any of the ultrasonic devices within the engine bay - something like this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003ES0T88/?tag=eliteelect-21

When we bought our van a few years ago, we saw a few vehicles in the south of Germany that had either electronic devices that had electric shock points in the engine bay or bags of poison...

I wonder though if these ultrasonics work?

Cheers...

Has anyone tried any of the ultrasonic devices within the engine bay - something like this:

When we bought our van a few years ago, we saw a few vehicles in the south of Germany that had either electronic devices that had electric shock points in the engine bay or bags of poison...

Cheers...
They have variable reviews but the one you linked to was for Martens. Not found in UK
Unknown.jpg

There are others for Mice & Rats.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_s...ellant+12v&rh=n:11052671,k:Mice+repellant+12v

They have variable reviews but the one you linked to was for Martens. Not found in UK

Unless Wales, Scotland, Northumberland and Shropshire are no longer part of the Uk you might be mistaken.

Unless Wales, Scotland, Northumberland and Shropshire are no longer part of the Uk you might be mistaken.

Since Brexit, there's a growing number of Marten immigrants heading to the UK looking to get on the social before they close the border... :D

Oops, I just picked one of these devices at random with regards using ultrasonics to deter the critters - didn't see that was so specific, but still interested to know if they're worth investing in. I don't think i've had cables chewed (yet), but for sure something is ripping the acoustic liner from inside my engine bay!:mad:

Cheers...
I prefer not to use ultrasonic because we have a dog with us, and I wonder if my dog would be affected if my neighbours at the campsite use these ultrasonic devices.. .?

They're back! Stone martens :Nailbiting Just had my Espace in for a technical control and discovered a whole bread under the hood, and a nice cozy nest made from the rock wool hood insulation. Fortunately no cables, that I see. And also not in the Cali. I emptied a whole spray can.
According to the technician they had tens of clients coming in last weeks with the same problem. Apparently it's the season...:(

Last edited:
Just had a second incident of Rodent damage to my Beach. This time its not just the oil sensor wiring. its also the Adblue injector wire, and the exhaust gas sensor wire. Overall a very expensive repair of £877 !!! Swansway have also recommended a "rodent deterrent kit'
I cannot find anywhere what that is and how it works...
I see a few members on here saying how can VW be responsible for such damage! My point of view is that in the 34 years i have been at my location and with 15 other vehicles that have resided on the same drive, and two (BMW cars) are sitting next to the Beach, what attracts the rodents to the VW and not the other cars ? None of my neighbours have had problems. This HAS to be an inherent problem with the wiring and the ways its exposed that make it susceptible to rodent damage. Have any other members had a concession from their dealerships when this happens?

Just had a second incident of Rodent damage to my Beach. This time its not just the oil sensor wiring. its also the Adblue injector wire, and the exhaust gas sensor wire. Overall a very expensive repair of £877 !!! Swansway have also recommended a "rodent deterrent kit'
I see a few members on here saying how can VW be responsible for such damage! My point of view is that in the 34 years i have been at my location and with 15 other vehicles that have resided on the same drive, and two (BMW cars) are sitting next to the Beach, what attracts the rodents to the VW and not the other cars ? None of my neighbours have had problems. This HAS to be an inherent problem with the wiring and the ways its exposed that make it susceptible to rodent damage. Have any other members had a concession from their dealerships when this happens?
Wow, that’s a big bill !
I’d be interested to know what the deterrent kit is?
In New Zealand a few years ago my son had a mouse in the roof of his hired Campervan. Came out at night to eat. Had to throw all food away but a mousetrap sorted it out.

It's an interesting point - VWs and Audi do seem to be susceptible. The washer fluid pipe on my A3 was chewed through causing a lot of damage. The mouse sonic plugs (amazon) seem to work well. An elderly uncle used to swear by moth balls in the engine compartment!

I see I posted here a few yrs back. After which I hvae a warfarin in the engine compartment....it’s never been eaten, but the burgers got in the cupboards.
so, as welsh gas said, they must come up by the wheels.
So i now put four traps by each wheel, and I have caught a couple of mice.
but,
when parked outside, the slugs ate the bait
not happened when parked indoors
interesting also, as above, we have had Ford cars, never affected in 20 yrs, and always been outside

Back