Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof box... good idea or bad?

Good idea but it is full of bikes.
Can both the VW bike rack and a Thule EasyBase be fitted on the back of a California at the same time?
179508_sized_640x420.jpg

Last edited:
Can both the VW bike rack and a Thule EasyBase be fitted on the back of a California at the same time?
179508_sized_640x420.jpg
Most likely, I have been thinking about using our Thule 929 for a large bag and buy the VW bike holder for the bikes. The other way would be better but I guess it wont work since the bikes will reach up and touch the bike holder.

Most likely, I have been thinking about using our Thule 929 for a large bag and buy the VW bike holder for the bikes. The other way would be better but I guess it wont work since the bikes will reach up and touch the bike holder.
Also you would need to unload the bikes to access the boot.

We have had a Thule Pacific 600 (from memory?) roof box on top since our skiing trip last August (Southern Hemisphere...) and only took it off a few weeks ago. It's brilliant for skis and other light guff including kids plastic toboggans but does catch the wind when camping. Even when tail into wind. We only realised the extent of this last week as we've been camped at a beach with out the roof box on,and although very windy at times,the van has stayed far more settled.
I'm 6'2" and find it quite do-able to load and unload by standing on the (covered) rear seat. Right side opening roof box of course. Ours is quite old and I believe some of them can open both sides now.

Thule motion 900 xl here, a whopping 630 litres.

You don't need a ladder, standing on one of the rear wheels is the easiest option. Just put your fingers behind the roof rail or rack, put a foot on the wheel, and stand up.

The box weighs 26kg and the roof bars are 10kg. When empty the roof stays open even with the box on. Useful to load bulky light stuff you need before going to bed - mattress, pillows, blankets, windscreen cover, ...

I have the biggest box Thule makes (MOTION 900 XL) stuffed with my kitesurfgear. No problem with electric roof. We have never discovered the Roof coming down, not even slightly after several days. We use a telescope ladder to access the box (When the roof is down). I have slightly modified the ladder so it fits perfect in the underseat drawer, and fully extracted it reaches to the awning (or the rail), so it has no contact with the cars paint. On the bikerack we carry two (carbon) bikes and our inflatable zodiac and the electric engine. So both the roof and bikerack is maxed out regarding weight.

All that on the small 102 hp engine … runs 140 on the motorway with ease …

IMG_3956.JPG

tele-2-00-dagensbolig-01.jpg

Thanks.

Now off to order some roof bars.

Just a little advice on roofbars.

We had the genuine WV (Logo) bars on our former Cali, they are very very tall and it looks odd. This time we went for the Thule Wingbar (less windnoise) and the Rapid Fixpoint XT 753.

The fix point is not recommended by Thule. But we found out it fits perfect. And because it is lower than the one Thule wants you to buy for the Cali (XT751), it looks a lot more nice and tidy. You can see it on the picture in my post above.

Thule WingBar - 127 cm (Bars)
Thule Rapid FixpointXT 753 (Foot)
Thule Kit 3057 (Adapter)

(And do not forget to check and tighten the bars now and then – they might become loose)

When choosing roof bars, I would look at the weight.. steel vs alu ..

I have a telescopic ladder but it's a bit bulky and heavy IMO, we got a "tall" version of the the folding step and it just fits inside the chair in the rear door.
http://amzn.eu/glkBlXK
View attachment 18837
Picked one up and as you said a perfect fit in the rear door. Sliding it in with grab handle going in first and towards the bottom locks it in.
Mike

Picked one up and as you said a perfect fit in the rear door. Sliding it in with grab handle going in first and towards the bottom locks it in.
Mike

I actually looked at one of these, but I do not come high enough to get my Surfboards proper in and out. I guess it a matter of what you need to carry in the box - and how tall you are. But nice when you can settle with it, its lighter and smaller than the alu-ladder I use.

Toured Europe with a Thule Atlantis 900 (very big box), a Thule backup box on the tow bar and three bikes. Had the boxes fully loaded without a problem but always emptied the roofbox (with exception of a handful of rucksacks) before raising. Never had a problem. I should add that if it was a bit windy I'd park with the wind and I always checked the roof before I drove off.

IMG_2664.JPG

We toured France with a roofbox. I kept the awning and ground Sheets in the roof box.
This picture was taken at Le Mans.

IMG_1204.JPG

IMG_1064.JPG IMG_3320.JPG IMG_2724.JPG We've been over to France 4 times recently since Oct 16 in the van as our boat is in Vannes . Just got back from Meribel yesterday 740 MLS in a day . The only thing I'd say and I've given it much thought is that there are lots of very substantial 2m height restrictions to car parks which you can get under easily with a Cali (probably 2.2 m ) and these car parks are often free . It would be a real pain not to be able to use these . Also some toll gates on motorways have 2m height restrictions . I've decided to get an Ansemms GT 750 /201 camping trailer ( see below ) . I have an Ansemms Vt 2 box trailer for boat gear but it's a bit big for camping . These trailer have elevating waterproof lockable roof and built in substantial roof ( you can easily stand on it ) . They also tow very well and quietly .

Last edited by a moderator:
image.jpeg image.jpeg I have had a Skiguard roof box since the early nineties, which now lives permanently on the roof, use it for bulky lightweight items (Quechua pop tent, wetsuits, kayak and SUP paddles, life vests etc) - keeping a close eye on the 50kg limit. It's mounted on Thule roof bars with the short feet, keeps the box closer to the roof making it more aero (and looks better than the "praying mantis" look you often see!). Roof goes up and down fine with the box on, and I don't get any wind noise even at motorway speed (or up to 90mph on the continent), obviously a bit of a hit on mpg but can live with that. I have also mounted a solar panel on the roof box, which saves the problems of mounting a panel on the roof.
Hopefully I can upload a couple of photos??? (not a regular contributor I'm afraid). Finally, I use a small lightweight aluminium step ladder that was bought in Italy a couple of years ago........simples.

View attachment 18931 View attachment 18929 View attachment 18928 View attachment 18928 View attachment 18929 View attachment 18931 We've been over to France 4 times recently since Oct 16 in the van as our boat is in Vannes . Just got back from Meribel yesterday 740 MLS in a day . The only thing I'd say and I've given it much thought is that there are lots of very substantial 2m height restrictions to car parks which you can get under easily with a Cali (probably 2.2 m ) and these car parks are often free . It would be a real pain not to be able to use these . Also some toll gates on motorways have 2m height restrictions . I've decided to get an Ansemms GT 750 /201 camping trailer ( see below ) . I have an Ansemms Vt 2 box trailer for boat gear but it's a bit big for camping . These trailer have elevating waterproof lockable roof and built in substantial roof ( you can easily stand on it ) . They also tow very well and quietly .
:agreed The best way to carry extra gear without overloading the vehicle. I'm not so sure that some vehicles with loaded bike rack, Tow bar box and/or roof box would breach the weight limits for the California SE/Ocean when loaded and travelling with 4 passengers , and as you stated push the vehicles height over the 2m mark limiting which car parks and roads you can use e.g.: the 2m height limited A86 tunnel around Paris and others.

:agreed The best way to carry extra gear without overloading the vehicle. I'm not so sure that some vehicles with loaded bike rack, Tow bar box and/or roof box would breach the weight limits for the California SE/Ocean when loaded and travelling with 4 passengers , and as you stated push the vehicles height over the 2m mark limiting which car parks and roads you can use e.g.: the 2m height limited A86 tunnel around Paris and others.
If I wanted to tow, I'd have kept my old car and bought a caravan.

It not a weight issue, just volume.

2 people + 2 dogs. I want to bring my MTB this summer so need some space for bike gear / kit etc.

Also going to remove the rear shelf, and run with the seat fully back.

If it helps I have been thinking about a 750kg unbraked trailer but SHMBO would blow a fuse and accuse me of turning into my Father. Its a worrying thought from my point of view also.

Your choice. Just steer clear of weigh bridges.:thumb
Two adults, two pre-school children and two dogs, in a Beach with camping equipment, toy bikes, two Bromptons and a child trailer. I am confident that we will weigh significantly less than seven adults, without luggage, in the same vehicle would weigh.

I hope we will all fit without a roof box, but if we need to take one, it is preferable to a trailer.

Just ordered my bars with the low foot pack from Roofbox with 5% C&CC discount.

Roll on Summer. Well Easter, then BH Weekend, then long weekend, then summer holiday.

Two adults, two pre-school children and two dogs, in a Beach with camping equipment, toy bikes, two Bromptons and a child trailer. I am confident that we will weigh significantly less than seven adults, without luggage, in the same vehicle would weigh.

I hope we will all fit without a roof box, but if we need to take one, it is preferable to a trailer.
So if you re-read my original post I was referring to the California SE or Ocean, which have a lower carrying capacity than the Beach as they have the built in wardrobe, fridge and kitchen etc:.
Anyway, towing a trailer is much safer than overloading and exceeding the MGW of any vehicle

So if you re-read my original post I was referring to the California SE or Ocean, which have a lower carrying capacity than the Beach as they have the built in wardrobe, fridge and kitchen etc:.
Fair enough.
Anyway, towing a trailer is much safer than overloading and exceeding the MGW of any vehicle
Which then returns to my earlier response about using a car and towing a caravan.

:help
I have a half width roof box and was thinking of putting it on for the summer holiday:bananadance2 for some more storage space (not planning on putting anything weighty in there).

Vaguely remember a 50kg weight limit for the pop roof? (Is this correct?).

Was also wondering if anyone used a roof box on their Cali and if they had any issues with the roof staying up , windy conditions and eccentric loading of the roof?
We bought a Thule top of the range opens both sides as you will need to access from lhs because of awning on rhs .i think it is Xt model .beautiful addition .i had to make a bespoke ladder that didn't take up space Int the booth and was high enough to access the box .it totally changed the look of our California .but if you fit be shire and not to forget it is there as will lead to a very very expensive repair .lets just say we were very lucky once .
Hope this helps .good investment. Thuele do the black wing bars and recessed adaptors to connect all together .

IMG_0369.JPG

Back