Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 193 37.3%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 78 15.1%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 247 47.7%

• Total voters
Out of interest, is the front panel now plastic/grp? It's appears new and is a slightly different shape.

Yes the new cap is plastic.
Most of the original aluminium fixed front section is cut off leaving the the rear most part to mastic bond the new plastic cap onto (that is why it stands proud ). The rest of the new cap is bonded directly on to the steel roof above the windscreen.

It is in here somewhere! However it was a bit hit and miss as some people received phone calls from the dealer but many were just cancelled without being notified.

Basically if you were registered for the original repair, your allocation was cancelled as soon as the new repair was announced, you then have to go and be reaccessed by the dealer again and start from scratch.

Otherwise known as "kicking it into the long grass" technique!

View attachment 18991

Just want to be clear, the van went to Heritage, but the repair was done elsewhere. They won't say where though. Roof repairs are done at a limited number of approved body shops. I only know mine went somewhere in the south east.

If I have a problem with Heritage, it's the hammer I found on the roof after driving 20 miles on the motorway after service once!! Not dangerous at all!
Did you not wonder why they needed a hammer for your service (on the roof!). In Birmingham we call a hammer a "Brumie Screw Driver". The sign of a limited skilled mechanic! And leaving it on your nice shiny paintwork too. Dreadful!

View attachment 18991

Just want to be clear, the van went to Heritage, but the repair was done elsewhere. They won't say where though. Roof repairs are done at a limited number of approved body shops. I only know mine went somewhere in the south east.

If I have a problem with Heritage, it's the hammer I found on the roof after driving 20 miles on the motorway after service once!! Not dangerous at all!
I would query as to who exactly carried out the work. If I am correct any further work on the repair is the responsibility of that body shop and not VW themselves. As this seems to be a very poor example of repair I would demand full disclosure if it were my van.

I've just had the campervan back. Inspected 13 October 2016 Martins Basingstoke repaired 14-28 January 2017.
The process was well managed and I was kept well informed.
The repair looks very good, I'll reserve final judgement for a few years I think.
Enjoying the weekly forum updates, Thankyou
Regards

Ray

I've just had the campervan back. Inspected 13 October 2016 Martins Basingstoke repaired 14-28 January 2017.
The process was well managed and I was kept well informed.
The repair looks very good, I'll reserve final judgement for a few years I think.
Enjoying the weekly forum updates, Thankyou
Regards

Ray

Which parts of the roof have you had repaired?
If it is under the seal on the raising section of the roof I would inspect again after a couple of months, remember the job is only warrantied for a year by the body shop so don't leave it to long.

Which parts of the roof have you had repaired?
If it is under the seal on the raising section of the roof I would inspect again after a couple of months, remember the job is only warrantied for a year by the body shop so don't leave it to long.
That cant be right !! The warranty lasting 12 months , if it went after that time they would have to do it again and again until its been done correctly , surely ?? There is ment to be a 15 yr corrosion warranty .
Or am I mistaken ?

That cant be right !! The warranty lasting 12 months , if it went after that time they would have to do it again and again until its been done correctly , surely ?? There is ment to be a 15 yr corrosion warranty .
Or am I mistaken ?

We had two repairs and both failed after a few months and were booked in for yet another repair. The rules have now changed and you are no longer given a loan Cali. We also couldn't see how another respray would work so gave up on the whole thing.
That Cali is now for sale on the VW site, it won't have been repaired and any new owners won't be told of its history.
The T6 it was part exd for also had roof corrosion and is also for sale on the VW site.
Buyer beware.

Why is this corrosion problem still happening, very disturbing especially when a vehicle costs this much money.
Maybe because of people like me , as I know of this problem ,I have been following this thread for some time, and I still went out and ordered a beach !!!!!
I guess until we make a stand and stop buying them then nothing is going to change.

We had two repairs and both failed after a few months and were booked in for yet another repair. The rules have now changed and you are no longer given a loan Cali. We also couldn't see how another respray would work so gave up on the whole thing.
That Cali is now for sale on the VW site, it won't have been repaired and any new owners won't be told of its history.
The T6 it was part exd for also had roof corrosion and is also for sale on the VW site.
Buyer beware.
I couldn't let them get away with it , I would of demanded for a new vehicle and not a repair !!
What about sale of goods act / or now been replaced with consumers rights .
Fit for purpose !!
Under the consumers rights act all products must be of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose and as described.
You have the right for a refund or a repair !
So really they don't have a leg to stand on .

I've had my Cali 2 weeks. Expensive. Reckon I should flog it before I have to face this problem? Not sure I have the stomach for the battle ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I couldn't let them get away with it , I would of demanded for a new vehicle and not a repair !!
What about sale of goods act / or now been replaced with consumers rights .
Fit for purpose !!
Under the consumers rights act all products must be of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose and as described.
You have the right for a refund or a repair !
So really they don't have a leg to stand on .

Yes we know all about that. The two vehicles were both rejected under the relevant consumer acts but it is all rather draining.
When yours has had a couple of repairs you will see what I mean.
Good luck:thumb

Why is this corrosion problem still happening, very disturbing especially when a vehicle costs this much money.
Maybe because of people like me , as I know of this problem ,I have been following this thread for some time, and I still went out and ordered a beach !!!!!
I guess until we make a stand and stop buying them then nothing is going to change.

Why is corrosion is still happening : becouse VW has not changed roof from T5 to T6
If yours is not delverd yet you can try and cancel it?
All using this forum who bought a Cali the last two years should have known the existing problem , those not on this forum could have heard it thru other channels .
Those non aware when ordering are probaly the ones who bother the less about the corrosion as they buy a Cali without research whatever , forums, clubs,speak to owners,...

I've had my Cali 2 weeks. Expensive. Reckon I should flog it before I have to face this problem? Not sure I have the stomach for the battle ahead.

This has taken the shine off my new Cali, I am trying to enjoy it but the corrosion issue is always in the back of my mind. I Planned for this to be a keeper, but do I really want all the hassle of fighting for repairs and then fighting again as the repair was of poor quality? This is also on top of all the snags with the new van, its as if there is zero quality control at VW. Also, I imagine this can't be doing much for used prices as buyers will start to look elsewhere especially now the MP is on the horizon.

I personally will never by another Volkswagen

Sorry to hear that you have had to go through all that , its not right and it makes me angry
Isn't there anything that can be done ?

Sorry to hear that you have had to go through all that , its not right and it makes me angry
Isn't there anything that can be done ?

Boycott VW and all their products.
I'll never have another VW on my drive ever again.

Why is corrosion is still happening : becouse VW has not changed roof from T5 to T6
If yours is not delverd yet you can try and cancel it?
All using this forum who bought a Cali the last two years should have known the existing problem , those not on this forum could have heard it thru other channels .
Those non aware when ordering are probaly the ones who bother the less about the corrosion as they buy a Cali without research whatever , forums, clubs,speak to owners,...
I can get my deposit back as I have got my name on an ex-show room demo. So I haven't committed to a build.
If I did someone else will be getting a beautiful vehicle other than me , I am so torn as what to do , I could possibly be one of the lucky ones and not get a problem

Probably won't do much good but we would never buy another VW due to the amount of problems we have had with our Cali and the poor customer service. We used to be very loyal to the brand but never again!

I can get my deposit back as I have got my name on an ex-show room demo. So I haven't committed to a build.
If I did someone else will be getting a beautiful vehicle other than me , I am so torn as what to do , I could possibly be one of the lucky ones and not get a problem

I reckon the only people without the problem are the people who won't look.

If you cancel will you look back in two years time and say, "You know what, should have gone through with it...." Time marches on and you cant get it back. The Cali? It can be repaired (all the stuff on this forum aside) and are you seriously saying I am going to give up what I dreamed for over the last months....? Just worth thinking about. I have been through this angst in my mind and decided I will not miss the positive aspects of Cali ownership - did not cancel my order and am still very excited about delivery in the next couple of weeks or so.

Said it before on here , every Cali built as it is now will get/have this problem .
Belive me or not , diagree all you want , disbelive all you can....i got the words from a reliable source.

Some are very minor , some got it realy bad .
You either live with the idea or just step out....
I do not at all understand why VW just let all this happen , but it is as it is.

I was assuming my 2012 was ok until my dealer pulled off the rubber seal last year.
I bet if you check random on new showroom Cali's 1/10 is a winner already from new!

If you cancel will you look back in two years time and say, "You know what, should have gone through with it...." Time marches on and you cant get it back. The Cali? It can be repaired (all the stuff on this forum aside) and are you seriously saying I am going to give up what I dreamed for over the last months....? Just worth thinking about. I have been through this angst in my mind and decided I will not miss the positive aspects of Cali ownership - did not cancel my order and am still very excited about delivery in the next couple of weeks or so.
Your right ,we have been waiting for this for some time and very excited about owning one .
We had some great times in are split screen Devon camper and she has been gone now 7yrs and its time for a new chapter.

Your right ,we have been waiting for this for some time and very excited about owning one .
We had some great times in are split screen Devon camper and she has been gone now 7yrs and its time for a new chapter.

Best get the VWCS number in your phone then!

Would this work? Strip the roof paint to bare aluminium, call it the VW California Airstream XSE (extra special edition). No paint bubbles, polish the aluminium from time to time to remove oxide and a two-tone California!

Back