Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

ROOF SAGGING ON ONE SIDE

J

Jon Hermansen

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi Jon
I’m pleased you have sorted out your roof Sagging issue
I have been experiencing the same symptoms on my T5 And have been advised to change the hydraulic ram which I presume was the same as what you have done (cylinder)!
Was it easy to do? any bleeding to do etc?
It would be handy if you have the part number and cost
I forgot to mention that as soon as the roof has gone up and the roof starts to sag there’s a clicking which seems to be coming from the ram as if it’s slipping!

Alan
Hi Alan. I used about 20-30 min changing the ram. Yes the low tik tik tik sound is the cylinder in the ram slipping. Had the same sound. I released the pressure on the roof pump so no oil mess when changing the ram. I paid about 6000 NOK i think is about $600. Maybe it cost more here in Norway. Not sure. Jon :)

D9D5810C-E955-49AC-9266-652358414DE5.jpeg

J

Jon Hermansen

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi Jon
I’m pleased you have sorted out your roof Sagging issue
I have been experiencing the same symptoms on my T5 And have been advised to change the hydraulic ram which I presume was the same as what you have done (cylinder)!
Was it easy to do? any bleeding to do etc?
It would be handy if you have the part number and cost
I forgot to mention that as soon as the roof has gone up and the roof starts to sag there’s a clicking which seems to be coming from the ram as if it’s slipping!

Alan
Easy job changing it. My wife could have done it. Forgot to say i lifted the roof half way up before securing it with some wood sticks to hold it up when releasing the pressure on the pump.

campandfly

campandfly

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
I have an intermittent sag on the drivers side.
I usually lower by about 30cms then open fully and it stays like that. We already had one arm on the passenger side renewed under warranty shortly after buying the van.

Thanks for reporting back on the solution @Jon Hermansen I will bookmark these posts for the future.

TripleBee

TripleBee

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Glad that you have it sorted :thumb

Now to see if the old ram can be reconditioned.
No.
The ends are not screwed but pressed together.
Unless there is a way to undo the pressure points, dismantle all the parts, change the sealings, and repress everything back in place without leakage.

IMG_20200328_104119.jpg

Knaifas

Knaifas

Vehicle
T5 Cali on order
Hi Jon!
As you and Alan, I also have the same issue.
Can you please help me where i can find a replacing Ram? And how you did it, please?
Your help would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

João

Alan

Alan

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi Jon!
As you and Alan, I also have the same issue.
Can you please help me where i can find a replacing Ram? And how you did it, please?
Your help would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

João
Hi Knaifas
the details on how Jon replaced his ram for lifting the roof are basically in his above posts together with the relevant part number which your local VW dealer should supply
However I contacted my local dealership for an estimate to carry out the work and the price was less than £480.00 inc.vat
The part alone costs approx £400.00 so I’m going to trust my dealer to carry out the work!

Alan

Knaifas

Knaifas

Vehicle
T5 Cali on order
Hi Alan! Thank you some much for your reply.
i am from Portugal, so i will try contacting a local dealer to see how much it would cost me.
Thanks again!