Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

ROOF SAGGING ON ONE SIDE

J

Jon Hermansen

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hello all. Anyone know this issue?
Suddenly on my vw t5 california the roof is sagging on one side. It works fine both taking it up and down. There was a fault code 1000 that i removed. Roof still sagging after. Thanks :)

7B17358C-0889-4FC1-87C9-5D6E8840B9FB.jpeg

10DBF365-4AAE-4F31-9B4B-54202B4B0830.jpeg

Hello Jon,
I am sure that this problem has been discussed in other forums, if you do a search you should find more information. Sorry I cannot give you links, I'm not tech savvy enough.Try fault code 1000.

Has the van ever had any work done to the roof ?

It could be that the oil level is a bit low or that the left hand side ram
seals have gone.
Worst case is the central pump. @TripleBee is fluent with that.

seals have gone.
Thanks! No never any work done on it.

seals have gone.
Do you know where or how i can check the oil level? :)

So, when you put the roof up and you keep your finger on the button
until it squeals that is only as far as it will go?

Drop it back down and open it 3 or 4 times to see if it will ever go
all the way up.

To access the oil reservoir you have to remove the control panel and part of the roof
lining.

I will have a look for a thread about how to do it.

My suggestion is to search for fault code 1000 in the forums, as it seems to be the code associated with this roof problem.
Searching for that code shows vw guru saying that it needs a new wiring harness
due to the sensors.call me a cygnet but i doubt it.

Searching for that code shows vw guru saying that it needs a new wiring harness
due to the sensors.call me a cygnet but i doubt it.
A cygnet? What have swans got to do with it?

So, when you put the roof up and you keep your finger on the button
until it squeals that is only as far as it will go?
Yes it goes all the way up like it should, then after a while it slowly comes down on just one side.

There is this thread but just to see the pump there is an
easier way.

There is this thread but just to see the pump there is an
easier way.

Hi folks. Just want to post a quick update on the sagging issue and what the issue was. First i got access to the pump by removing the roof, then switched left and right hydraulic pipes. Still sagging on the same side as before. Witch mean that the pump is good. I then swithed the right with the left rams (hydraulics sylinders). Then the sagging changed side. Ordered a new sylinder and replaced it with the one where the roof sagged and everything is good. Have left the roof up in nice sunny weather for two days. No sag :)

Hi Jon
I’m pleased you have sorted out your roof Sagging issue
I have been experiencing the same symptoms on my T5 And have been advised to change the hydraulic ram which I presume was the same as what you have done (cylinder)!
Was it easy to do? any bleeding to do etc?
It would be handy if you have the part number and cost
I forgot to mention that as soon as the roof has gone up and the roof starts to sag there’s a clicking which seems to be coming from the ram as if it’s slipping!

Alan

Hi Jon
I have been experiencing the same symptoms on my T5 And have been advised to change the hydraulic ram which I presume was the same as what you have done (cylinder)!
I forgot to mention that as soon as the roof has gone up and the roof starts to sag there’s a clicking which seems to be coming from the ram as if it’s slipping!

Alan
Hi Alan. I used about 20-30 min changing the ram. Yes the low tik tik tik sound is the cylinder in the ram slipping. Had the same sound. I released the pressure on the roof pump so no oil mess when changing the ram. I paid about 6000 NOK i think is about $600. Maybe it cost more here in Norway. Not sure. Jon :)

D9D5810C-E955-49AC-9266-652358414DE5.jpeg

Hi Jon

Alan
Easy job changing it. My wife could have done it. Forgot to say i lifted the roof half way up before securing it with some wood sticks to hold it up when releasing the pressure on the pump.

I have an intermittent sag on the drivers side.
I usually lower by about 30cms then open fully and it stays like that. We already had one arm on the passenger side renewed under warranty shortly after buying the van.

Thanks for reporting back on the solution @Jon Hermansen I will bookmark these posts for the future.