Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof topper

David Green

David Green

Vader
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Does the roof topper greatly improve the insulation of the van?

Wow! I love that trailer.

Roof toppers make a huge difference to the warmth of the upper berth, they cut out drafts - which is not necessarily a good thing in warm weather, and reduce condensation. They also protect the canvass and the lifting mechanism from rain or snow.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Thanks for that. Trailer is a Erde 4x6, it was stripped down and sprayed by GT bodywork Workington

How does a single camper go about putting the Roof Topper on? Without ladders I cannot visualize how it can be done.

How does a single camper go about putting the Roof Topper on? Without ladders I cannot visualize how it can be done.

I have a roofless topper which may be easier than a roofed topper - basically it is fitted with the roof up an inch or two, then the roof is fully raised and bungees tightened. With the bike rack fitted I do need to stand on the tow bar to reach the rear fastenings.

Be a bit careful though when you pull it over the corners. Don’t use too much strength. We have a calicap and it has nice, tight fit. But we did manage to loosen the rubber seal on the corner of the roof when fitting it around the back corner. Besides that, it’s a nice peace of equipment that we use quite often.

No problem. Just keep an eye on it that it doesn’t get trapped in the scissors. So far has never happened to us, not even in strong winds. But usually there are at least two of us, so always one keeping watch.

No problem. Just keep an eye on it that it doesn’t get trapped in the scissors. So far has never happened to us, not even in strong winds. But usually there are at least two of us, so always one keeping watch.

I take ours off before lowering the roof. Just undo the back, take off the two sides and slip it off the front.

It's much easier to put on before winding out the awning, and taking off after the awning is wound back in.

Hi Gazellio

We own and use two systems for the roof,

1/ Cali topper as above description,

Advantage:
Small to store
Has windows for those morning views
Keeps snow out of roof mechanism
Looks neat when fitted
Leaves roof vent free
Disadvantage:
Horrible to handle and store when wet
A bit akward to put on with one person (easy to remove though)

Another cover which we use now if not in snow is the purcer screen,

http://shop.darenpucerscreens.co.uk/products/227616--t5-t6-california-roof-screen.aspx

Advantage:
Cheaper
More insulation in my opinion
Easy to fit single handed (fits behind mechanism and a bunge at the rear)
Drys quickly and can be wiped off if wet.
Good noise deadening qualities
Disadvantage:
Bigger to carry
Blocks light out ( is this an advantage ??)
Not as tidy looking
May not last as long
Restricts airflow in roof vent.

We have used both together in minus 18 degrees, but it was possible but akward to fit and unnesscary as the heater still does it’s job well.

If I had to choose one ??? Probably the Purcell screen due to ease of fitting on my own.

Welcome, very nice set up we have been thinking of a trailer, spurred on by paying 150 Euros for 3 weeks hire of a small fridge freezer in France last year, and the year before!

Travelling in the past with 6 in the Beach has been very tight, this year probably only 4/5 so a bit more space to pack. Somewhere to store your gear whilst on site must be great tho.

Have you been far with the trailer and did it cause any issues?

To be honest you forget it's on, much better than filling up your van with gear and if you have wet gear it's much better to put it in. Get at least two anti theft visible locks( hitch and wheel clamp) the lid also locks.

Also no problem towing it all day on motorway or country roads

I did a little photo sequence for you.

5bad719aab08b90ba79c29e4850a9b34.jpg

Topper draped over wing mirrors

9d3d0750b2fd9c215dafa9f93340242d.jpg

Top popped about two inches. Topper fitted to front

8fc9e3608349ca18275fdcf0372025f1.jpg

Sides roughly placed.

011856b49672a5cee9d67f366335c2e4.jpg

Rear mostly ignored, just draped.

543138d5d26cca24acb94a440be1c459.jpg

Top raised.

6f60aedf6c388e5024d542a2915c7f62.jpg

Sides a bit messy at rear.

686ad06dcba84ad1219605221f3b3cc2.jpg

Rear not fixed

0f02344001fe9f0190d44e089f14b4a6.jpg

Rear fixed by standing on tow bar (or bumper)

First photo 16:18, final photo 16:31. Can be done in 5 to 10 minutes. It is my first job after unloading bikes. Topper is stowed with chairs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a roofless one from Comfortz, I can fit this myself but it if easier with two.

We use small folding ladders.

I had a go at putting our Calicap Mütze topper on by myself recently & managed it ok, though it's a bit tedious having to keep getting in and out to raise the roof in easy stages.

I found the key to it was to put the topper over the roof first, before you raise it at all. Hook it on at the corners, then raise the roof about 200mm, get out, sort out the front corners, check it's all still hooked on, then get back in & raise it fully.

I need to stand on a stool to reach the offside rear corner, or I have to stand on the back wheel.

The Calicap certainly keeps things warmer upstairs, & also has the advantage that you can unzip the roof windows when it's raining without any risk of the rain (or wind) getting in.

We used to use a (homemade) Pucer screen, which was ok but more tricky to put on, 8m long so a bit difficult to deal with if windy, blocked the windows & made it dark inside, & gradually got torn by the struts in pulling it through. But it only cost me about £40 to make, so worth a go.

I'm sure I've read that the the Comfortz topper folds into its bag and stores in the deck chairs in the tailgate.

Was I dreaming? I tried mine today, but it doesn't get anywhere near close.

(I picked mine up 2nd hand, it's by Comfortz, Silver/Grey with 3 windows. Perhaps it was an earlier model / thicker material?)

Yep - I packed ours away today. Comfortz 3 window topper in its bag, in the tailgate stuffed in a seat.

Ditto for the Comfortz thermal screen cover too.

They have always fitted from day one the new ones are thinner but the original was designed to fit and was a massive plus over the other ones available at the time