Roof up error message 2009 Cali

nknight

nknight

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
We got the dreaded roof up fault error message 6 months ago when it was down, meaning roof wouldn't operate. Since then had a new control panel (the original one was missing pixels anyway) and a new roof wiring loom. The VW main dealer's now on 4th attempt to repair. Previous attempts sorted issue for a while but seems that after travelling any distance fault reoccurs meaning we could put the roof up and down a couple of times then on route to next site we'd get the bonging alert and roof wouldn't operate. Dealer says they've now identified it's a faulty control unit specific to roof (not the main control panel). Anyone else had this? The unit costs £890. Not seen this unit mentioned in any threads on roof problems.

Last edited:
If you scroll down there is a diagram that includes 'roof hydraulics control unit'. Maybe that??
I tend to think all dealers are hopeless cretins but perhaps they do know what they're doing this time. Sounds expensive.

If you scroll down there is a diagram that includes 'roof hydraulics control unit'. Maybe that??
I tend to think all dealers are hopeless cretins but perhaps they do know what they're doing this time. Sounds expensive.

Thanks for this Lambeth. Part now on back order. Dealer says they swapped it out for one they knew works so are confident it's the issue. It's been a frustratingly long & very expensive saga but we've had 15 years of fun with the van since new and now seems to be the time to part with it. Hoping a late 6.1 204 ps will prove a worthy replacement.

Thanks for this Lambeth. Part now on back order. Dealer says they swapped it out for one they knew works so are confident it's the issue. It's been a frustratingly long & very expensive saga but we've had 15 years of fun with the van since new and now seems to be the time to part with it. Hoping a late 6.1 204 ps will prove a worthy replacement.
So the Roof ECU looks like this, I bought one from Kerlow via EBay for £25 a few years ago. I use it as part of a test rig.

It has very limited functionality, it basically reads in the four roof sensors and checks the current consumption of the motor and drives the motor until it is fully up or down.

Does the roof flag a fault when down ?? It should flag an error if there is a conflict between the open and closed sensors.

I can’t state it isn’t an error with this ecu, but of all the various issues with roofs over the years this isn’t something that has come up as far as I remember.

1728717360108.png

I doubt I will ever sell our 2008 T5 bought in 2009. I may be able to afford to swap to newer at retirement but seems odd getting another diesel vehicle and I’m kind of hoping that when various bans on internal combustion start that there will be some exceptions. I guess some of these may be based on age of vehicle - older/classic vehicles. In 2033 mine will be 25 years old so possibly exempt. Just my guess.

Plus I have a vague dream of paying £20k for someone to electrify it!

Last edited: