Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof warning light flashing / Roof Sensors

I've just had the flashing roof icon issue today. For info, here's what I did (and I'll update it if problem happens again)...

1) Opened roof successfully, but icon still flashing.
2) Checked around roof guttering for any debris. Nothing notable.
3) Closed roof successfully but icon still flashing as before.
4) Held down OK and Back buttons on control panel, went into Diagnostic menu.
5) This showed a 1000 error code (meaning what?) which I cleared by holding Back button for 5 seconds.
6) Icon is no longer flashing, but no idea if the 'problem' has been resolved.

Regards, Simon Mc

I've just had the flashing roof icon issue today. For info, here's what I did (and I'll update it if problem happens again)...

1) Opened roof successfully, but icon still flashing.
2) Checked around roof guttering for any debris. Nothing notable.
3) Closed roof successfully but icon still flashing as before.
4) Held down OK and Back buttons on control panel, went into Diagnostic menu.
5) This showed a 1000 error code (meaning what?) which I cleared by holding Back button for 5 seconds.
6) Icon is no longer flashing, but no idea if the 'problem' has been resolved.

Regards, Simon Mc
It starts as an intermittent problem but deteriorates I'm afraid. One thing we've noticed is that heat definitely makes it worse. If we leave our van (2013 California 2.0d )out in the sun for a few hours, the roof won't go up at all. Parking in the shade till it cools is the only answer. On holiday we get up early to get the roof down before the heat gets to it. It still goes up & down in increments but at least it is useable. I believe the sensors are magnetic so it kinda makes sense. Has anyone tried a strong magnet on the outside of the roof near the sensors as an emergency fix?

It starts as an intermittent problem but deteriorates I'm afraid. One thing we've noticed is that heat definitely makes it worse. If we leave our van (2013 California 2.0d )out in the sun for a few hours, the roof won't go up at all. Parking in the shade till it cools is the only answer. On holiday we get up early to get the roof down before the heat gets to it. It still goes up & down in increments but at least it is useable. I believe the sensors are magnetic so it kinda makes sense. Has anyone tried a strong magnet on the outside of the roof near the sensors as an emergency fix?
That sounds possibly more like a hydraulic problem.
The magnetic hall sensors are more about telling the computer that the roof is down or up.

Points to an oil level issue. Temperature shouldn't bother it. Hydraulics often run at oil temps Well over 100 c and work fine

But the temperature does affect it. No doubt about it.
Yes. Because if you have low oil level, you have air inside the oil tank. This is expanding in hot weather which is what air does,this would force your hydro oil down.Then when It cools the air contracts enough and the oil level rises again just enough to run your pump in a jerky fashion as air is going through the cylinders. Its a very tiny oil reservoir so any level issues become apparent like this. This is why we use intercooler after a turbo as the hot compressed air expands.if you cool it you can force more air into the engine which Is why you get more power from an intercooler.Check your oil level!

Last edited:
Back