Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

“Roof is Open” fault 1000, but roof is definitely closed

So I came back from school run today and low and behold the van roof sensor was not showing fault. Enter my stupid optimistic brain that thought trying to open/close roof would be wise. The obvious happened and it opened and then roof fault appears and I have a roof stuck open. I spent this am manually lowering the roof using the screw, only to realise that by essentially bleeding the hydraulics the roof can be pushed up and I don’t have Cali roof safety straps. Ad such o have implemented this initial tactical fix until my drive to Cornwall to get all sorted.

Question - this strap is v tight and I can’t manually lift roof anymore. What would be the risk of wind getting under roof and causing massive damage with this tactical fix in place?View attachment 105709View attachment 105712
Don’t you have the Emergency Tie Down straps supplied with the vehicle and used in accordance with the Handbook Instructions?

Job done!

Richard and the team at Kernow Transporters are magicians. Roof sensors replaced, control panel bypassed, remote control roof raising implemented with additional switch to raise (with isolation switch) in passenger side panel. At some point I can post a vid but very happy with my upgrade. I can’t really say enough good things about the professionalism of the team throughout the process. Even got a pasty recommendation to boot which was delicious.

Highly recommended those of you that fancy the upgrade

I have now had this resolved by swapping out the roof sensors. I was unable to open the roof at all so I let the professionals handle it. This involves stripping back the interior upholstery above the windscreen to access the roof motor behind the left sun visor. They then wire the motor to external power to get the roof open and then each sensor can be replaced.

The work was done by PLA Automotive in Bathgate, and they did an excellent job.

Be warned however, the work is expensive; it cost £1k. But I am glad everything is now working again and using only OEM parts and sticking to the original design. I realise there are other ideas about bypassing the sensors completely and fitting other after-market solutions to other remote control but I didn’t want to go down that route.

Once again, thanks all for your help and advice to get me to this point.

Hi,

Well I’m not having much luck this week; this is my second issue with the van this week :-(

I know there are a few posts about this already. I actually had this problem last year and managed to resolve by clearing the error code. However, this time it’s not so straight forward.

To clear the fault, I believe you are supposed to hold the ‘back’ button (bottom right) for 5 seconds but when I do this it just takes me back to the main panel. I then try and power off the panel but it refuses to comply and flashes up “roof is open!”.

Any ideas on this?

It may be the result of heavy rain last week(?).
I wondered if I should somehow manually open the roof to try and clean the sensors… ?? But not sure if that is even possible.

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks!
I had this problem 12 months ago and tried all resets and ideas to replace control panel fuse etc - it’s usually as I found - always the roof sensors - they need to be replaced - as a loom by a VW dealer which will cost you a packet or a good electrician or roof expert - there’s one in Cornwall who did mine for a couple hundred- the sensors can be purchased from eBay for couple pounds

I had this problem 12 months ago and tried all resets and ideas to replace control panel fuse etc - it’s usually as I found - always the roof sensors - they need to be replaced - as a loom by a VW dealer which will cost you a packet or a good electrician or roof expert - there’s one in Cornwall who did mine for a couple hundred- the sensors can be purchased from eBay for couple pounds
Do you have their details?

I’ve got the dreaded roof sensor problem and considering a road trip to get the issue fixed.

Unless knows anyone in the Somerset area who has done this fix.

Thanks.