Roofmechanism rubber padding failure

H

Hotel California

Super Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Lately a strong "cloncking" sound was driving me made when riding bumpy road , i was sure it came from the sliding door and started investigate all kinds of things starting checking things on the front B-pilar , sliding door ( table , rails , bumperstops) , wind-out awning on to the C-pilar ...took things out ...did test drives ....no avail !
Even took out the rear fan regularor panel on the right handside near the C-pilar ...

It was just when that was out i finally noticed the sound came from the roofmechanism .
All the time i was 100% sure it came from the sliding door area .
I know/knew about the rubber padding on the scissors but the sound did not seem to come from the roof .
When the blank panel next to the fan regulator was out i could even feel the knocking ...
So opend the roof , witch i did before on the last trip and therefore i ruled out the roof causing the sound...
Yes the rubber padding , hose-pipe thing that fits round one of the hinges was turned upside down causing the two metal parts banging in to eachother causing a sound that probally echoed in the plastic trims above the sliding door and the sound seems to come out near the B-pilar .

Searched in my workshop/garage a piece of rubber hose that had the same size , cut two pieces of (yes did both sides...;))

The rubber wears when the two parts rest on it and the (cut open) piece of rubber pipe goes from round to more oval shape and then turns up-side down by gravity.
So @all , get yourselfs some replacement rubber pipe ready or that ratlle will drive you nuts!

Now all things quiet when driving ....part from the normal ratlles :D

Some pictures to point out the problem
This is how it looked when it was ratlling
IMG_8591.JPG

This is a new padding fitted
You can see how the oldone has lost his shape/form
IMG_8593.JPG

IMG_8588.JPG

Old vs new
IMG_8589.JPG

Just informative :
Behind the fan regulator

IMG_8594.JPG

IMG_8595.JPG

IMG_8596.JPG

IMG_8597.JPG

IMG_8598.JPG

And the handle strap removal

IMG_8600.JPG

Last edited:
One important tip to whoever is planning on taking of the hook .
There's a small hole in the rear where you can "push-out " the smal cap that covers the srew .
I started pooking and damaged the trim i bit:headbang

IMG_8601.JPG IMG_8602.JPG IMG_8603.JPG IMG_8604.JPG

Lately a strong "cloncking" sound was driving me made when riding bumpy road , i was sure it came from the sliding door and started investigate all kinds of things starting checking things on the front B-pilar , sliding door ( table , rails , bumperstops) , wind-out awning on to the C-pilar ...took things out ...did test drives ....no avail !
Even took out the rear fan regularor panel on the right handside near the C-pilar

It was just when that was out i finally noticed the sound came from the roofmechanism .
I know/knew about the rubber padding on the scissors but the sound did not seem to come from the roof .
When the blank panel next to the fan regulator was out i could even feel the knocking ...
So opend the roof , witch i did before on the last trip and therefore i ruled out the roof causing the sound...
Yes the rubber padding , hose-pipe thing that fits round one of the hinges was turned upside down causing the two metal parts banging in to eachother causing a sound that probally echoed in the plastic trims above the sliding door and the sound seems to come out near the B-pilar .

Searched in my workshop/garage a piece of rubber hose that had the same size , cut two pieces of (yes did both sides...;))

The rubber wears when the two parts rest on it and the (cut open) piece of rubber pipe goes from round to more oval shape and then turns up-side down by gravity.
So @all , get yourselfs some replacement rubber pipe ready or that ratlle will drive you nuts!

View attachment 36977

View attachment 36978

View attachment 36979

Old vs new
View attachment 36980

Just informative :
Behind the fan regulator

View attachment 36981

View attachment 36982

View attachment 36983

View attachment 36984

View attachment 36985

View attachment 36986
Even took out the rear fan regularor panel on the right handside near the C-pilar ...

View attachment 36977

View attachment 36978

View attachment 36979

Old vs new
View attachment 36980

Just informative :
Behind the fan regulator

View attachment 36981

View attachment 36982

View attachment 36983

View attachment 36984

View attachment 36985

View attachment 36986
I had exactly the same Wim . Rattle drove me crazy . I thought it was the table in the door rattling until Martin at Breeze Poole checked it out and replaced plastic pipe . Bliss .

Thanks for posting this Wim I have noticed this padding and not seen it posted before so now aware if I get an untraceable rattle from usual places.

Thanks for this tip!

I was just going to post a new subject "Roof Mechanism Rattling" when I was redirected to this one.
I believe it is the cause of my problem too.
I didn't have a suitable bit of pipe to replace the old one, so tried just super-glueing the old pipe in place on top of the pivot-pin.
My old bit of pipe was not worn or distorted at all, it was just too small, so it rotated to the bottom & didn't provide any cushion on top where needed!
Amazingly poor "design"...

Time will tell if this is really a solution.

Here is what I WAS going to post, in case it helps anybody else:

Roof Mechanism Rattling...

A couple of times recently I have heard a "heavy" rattling noise from somewhere above the window over the sink.
Not to be confused with various "light" rattles from the furniture.

It sounded like the metal bars of the roof mechanism tapping together (my imagination).
Visual inspection did not show roof partially open or anything odd.

The first time, I wondered if I had maybe lost a rubber buffer somewhere, so I opened the roof & checked but found nothing loose, obviously missing, or different from side to side.
No more rattle for several thousand km.

Then repeat of same rattle when starting off after just putting roof down.
I fully opened & fully closed the roof & the rattle was gone.

So I conclude that sometimes the roof is not really fully closing & locking?

As a comment, I always, without exception, have the engine running when opening & closing the roof and always keep the button pressed until the pump stops by itself.

Any ideas on the cause?

Is there anything I should do to fix it?

One important tip to whoever is planning on taking of the hook .
There's a small hole in the rear where you can "push-out " the smal cap that covers the srew .
I started pooking and damaged the trim i bit:headbang

View attachment 36987 View attachment 36988 View attachment 36989 View attachment 36990

View attachment 36977

View attachment 36978

View attachment 36979

Old vs new
View attachment 36980

Just informative :
Behind the fan regulator

View attachment 36981

View attachment 36982

View attachment 36983

View attachment 36984

View attachment 36985

View attachment 36986
@hotel california a huge thanks to your for this post. After many months of trying to sort this out you provided a solution I would never have thought of. Like most people rattles and unexplained noises drive me crazy so this is a real lifesavee

Strange. I can't recall my van has that pipe surrounding?
I am not having a clonking sound either (luckily) apart from all the other rattles.

And it's a strange view of the rear vent control, as I have 3-zone climatronic with an air vent near the electronic controller at the rear.

@hotel california a huge thanks to your for this post. After many months of trying to sort this out you provided a solution I would never have thought of. Like most people rattles and unexplained noises drive me crazy so this is a real lifesavee
Thanks for the post , I had the same rattling noise coming from the right side and I couldn’t figure out what was causing the very annoying clunking sound. Finally I was able to sort it out