Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rotary knob on control panel

W

wee westy

VIP Member
Just wondered if anyone has had any issues with the rotary knob which controls the panel for the roof etc, the knob seems loose and I cannot access the menu to operate the roof etc. I have booked the van into the dealers for repair under warranty but just wondered if anyone else had problems. :crazy

I have not heard of any problems with the control knob as yet.
Let us know how you get on :thumb

There was some stuff about this in the FB forum on older Calis. Knob is not fixable so new control unit is required!

Excuse my ignorance,what is the FB forum? Thanks for the replies.

It is where this club derived from but it is hardly used now, if you do a search on here you will find some history on the subject.

Got my van back from dealers yesterday with new control panel fitted so i hope it is now working ok, person at service desk reckoned it costs £500 plus fitting for a new panel. Fortunately it was done under warranty. Be in Aviemore over the weekend so we will see how it performs.

Looks like we might have a similar problem. The control panel is working and the rotary knob will scroll through, for example, the settings for the fridge - but the push to select doesn't work. Which means no roof - anybody have any ideas? I am guessing a trip to the dealer straight after Bank Hol, however worried that our COTF plans are at risk!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Had the same thing just before going to France last year. The van was stuck on the drive with the roof up.I rang the 'get you home people' at VW. Man arrived from the RAC within an hour. The whole unit needed replacing. RAC man organised a new unit and came back the next morning to fix it. We got to Dover in time for our ferry.
The garage was going to take a week!
This was a new van, face lift. I complained to VW and they sent me a letter for a free service.

I had the same in 2007 model. As a temporary workaround I dismantled the panel and removed the plastic part of the potentiometer. Then, without the plastic knob, it is not convinient to operate the functions but perfectly possible.
Then I bought a second hand panel with broken LCD but working knob, and replaced the knob in mine.
I saved 500 Euros that way (500 Euros : 12 Euros = 41.6 bottles of vodka :upsidedown )

Fortunately ours was down at the time (although that means we can't legitimately call VW/RAC). We'll have to take our chances with the dealer - would love to hear more re how to remove the panel and bypass the switch, ours is under warranty so I am a little worried re doing something that invalidates the warranty. However, we are now a bit worried that something so simple can have such a profound effect - could really mess up a holiday - hence a manual work around would be a good backup!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Looks like I also am having an emerging issue with the rotary knob. It has become loose and spins. I can get it to work but need to fiddle. Not good as I only discovered it today and am away for the weekend so fingers crossed it holds out. As my van is now out of warranty I will be keeping my fingers crossed that VWCS will provide a 'gesture of goodwill'.

Martin

dex14 said:
Looks like I also am having an emerging issue with the rotary knob. It has become loose and spins. I can get it to work but need to fiddle. Not good as I only discovered it today and am away for the weekend so fingers crossed it holds out. As my van is now out of warranty I will be keeping my fingers crossed that VWCS will provide a 'gesture of goodwill'.

Martin

Hello
If the knob is still in one piece, probably only cracked so far, you may remove it and glue plus reinforce it on the outer side of the ring with a good glue.
This will save you some hassle later. Also reinforced that way will be stronger than a new stock knob.

Regards
Andrzej

I'm sure there is a longggggg thread in here somewhere about knobs. We had to have our control panel replaced last year, under warranty.

Control panel knob confirmed as broken (tell me something I didn't know!). Got to contact VW Customer Services tomorrow to discuss panel being replaced outside of warranty. Any tips for dealing with them? What are my chances of getting a fully funded replacement panel? £350 to replace unit. If no joy, I will be going with Andrzej's repair suggestion.

As a general rule I would have thought that VW will do a matched contribution with the repairing dealer. So if they offer 10% off parts and labour (for example), then VWCS will do another 10% as well.

cheers

smgcowfold said:
As a general rule I would have thought that VW will do a matched contribution with the repairing dealer. So if they offer 10% off parts and labour (for example), then VWCS will do another 10% as well.

cheers

I think what is lacking here is very simple: The knob should be sold separately not obligatory with the whole panel. Central Panel costs 500 Euros, knob itself would be 5-10 Euros. End of topic for both VW and clients.
Also the new knobs should have a metal reinforcing spring-ring, like most of the potentiometers knobs in radios or other devices have.

Contacted VW last Thursday. They assured me they would get back to me Friday with an update. Still waiting. So far not impressed with VWCS. (Heard nothing about my roof blistering either!)

Matched contribution it is. Total offered 20% off so far. So it will only cost £280 plus labour to fix a knob that must cost a couple of pounds. Bargain!

isn't it possible to find this knob anywhere and fix it yourself ?

Can't say I have searched the likes of ebay yet for a broken unit but I know you cannot order the part through VW. :headbang. If anyone knows where I might be able to get hold of one, please do let me know. :thanks

I think I heard somewhere that you can find this knob on eBay (but I've looked quickly and haven't found anything).

I think a standard knob + cover from for example Conrad will fit also:
http://www.conrad-uk.com/ce/en/product/717764/
http://www.conrad-uk.com/ce/en/product/717827/
This will cost you less than GBP 5.

Open the unit carefully with a large flat screw driver. Take care, the flatwire is very fragile. You need a torx no. 6 screw driver to remove the PCA. Remove the knob and the light conductor and place the new knob.

Good luck!
Regards, Gerard from the Netherlands

Hi, our whole control panel had to be replaced last year under warranty (2011 T5) The knob on the original panel just did not connect suddenly and nothing worked. It failed whilst the Cali was sitting in our garage. I have to say the New Zealand agents were quick to deal with the replacement which had to be imported from Germany and there was no cost to us. But just as well we weren't away somewhere ! The new panel looks the same but seems to have a more positive feel. Hope you have the same warranty experience. Alex

Yes. Just returned from replacing the 'brain' (control panel). Ouch. £600 + incl vat. Had problems with the rotating knob not staying still to chose next menu. Fridge not working either. 7yr old Cali. Not savvy enough to buy the knob and replace it myself and this would not have fixed the fridge... and needed to be functioning ASAP. good luck. Follow the string re the knob you may be luckier than me in fixing it without paying a fortune.

Back