Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rough Road California.

Skewif

Skewif

It’s not what you have, it's where you wake up.
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
WARNING! This post contains pictures of a modified California using non VW parts that some readers may find distressing. :rolleyes:

Mission to create a way more capable rough road camper is complete and the difference is huge! Loads more ground clearance (R +~60mm, F +~30mm) massive increase in departure angle (was~14º now ~25º), much nicer to drive on and off road, tons less roll, vastly increased cornering ability, zero bouncy / wollowiness, no longer need to slow down for most speed bumps, no feeling/look of sagginess. Much more stable at speed on bumpy roads. no more bottoming out when fully loaded, less crashiness, shorter breaking distance on bumpy roads, whole van feels much lighter and more car like, can go many more places off road than before.

HD springs and shocks on the rear. HD shocks and TÜV approved spring spacers on the front plus all the bushes, the ball joints, drop links, top mounts have also been replaced with better than OEM Meyle HD parts. Also fitted full set of underbody skid plates for tank, engine/gearbox, rear diff and exhaust. Oh and some Michelin Latitude Cross boots just to finish it all off.

I spent hours and hours researching all the options available and every part was carefully chosen. Can be returned back to std easily if I ever sell. The suspension cost ~£800 all in fitted including 4 wheel laser alinement. To me that’s a bargain for the transformation in driving pleasure.

Not many peoples cup of tea I’m sure. But to me and the kind of places ( https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/love-wild-camping-go-italian-alps.21430/ ) I like to camp this is a game changer.

Only problem now is having to wait months for the snow to melt high in the Alps. Where's all this global warming when you really need it!!!

IMG_0084.jpg

IMG_0090.jpg

IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_1481.jpg

IMG_2195.jpg

IMG_3222.jpg

Love it.

I'm quite jealous.

I sam now resigned to the fact that those days are behind me and my future is to enjoy a life of docility towing a caravan everywhere :shocked

Last edited:
Sounds really good and certainly looks it. On recent trip to Spain/Portugal I would have gone for higher rather than lower. but I also understand those who prefer to lower for different reasons. Each to their own

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Looks spot on, great job!

Seems you did a great job to make your Cali more proof to the rough roads you seem to adventure a lot.
I can only agree on the things you did .

Great job - like others I'm a bit jealous. The main thing that puts me off doing something like this is looking at the photos of the amazing places that you end up - I think I'd probably poop my pants driving on some of those roads tracks paths unmarked deathtraps for the unwary.

Must admit I have more than once had white knuckles from gripping the steering wheel so hard while chanting: don't look down.. just don't look down... don't look down.

WARNING! This post contains pictures of a modified California using non VW parts that some readers may find distressing. :rolleyes:

Mission to create a way more capable rough road camper is complete and the difference is huge! Loads more ground clearance (R +~60mm, F +~30mm) massive increase in departure angle (was~14º now ~25º), much nicer to drive on and off road, tons less roll, vastly increased cornering ability, zero bouncy / wollowiness, no longer need to slow down for most speed bumps, no feeling/look of sagginess. Much more stable at speed on bumpy roads. no more bottoming out when fully loaded, less crashiness, shorter breaking distance on bumpy roads, whole van feels much lighter and more car like, can go many more places off road than before.

HD springs and shocks on the rear. HD shocks and TÜV approved spring spacers on the front plus all the bushes, the ball joints, drop links, top mounts have also been replaced with better than OEM Meyle HD parts. Also fitted full set of underbody skid plates for tank, engine/gearbox, rear diff and exhaust. Oh and some Michelin Latitude Cross boots just to finish it all off.

I spent hours and hours researching all the options available and every part was carefully chosen. Can be returned back to std easily if I ever sell. The suspension cost ~£800 all in fitted including 4 wheel laser alinement. To me that’s a bargain for the transformation in driving pleasure.

Not many peoples cup of tea I’m sure. But to me and the kind of places ( https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/love-wild-camping-go-italian-alps.21430/ ) I like to camp this is a game changer.

Only problem now is having to wait months for the snow to melt high in the Alps. Where's all this global warming when you really need it!!!

View attachment 28406

View attachment 28407

View attachment 28408

View attachment 28409

View attachment 28410

View attachment 28411
How high now?

How high now?
Think ~203cm now + rear of awning but was only a quick measure. Not sure of highest point of roof but guess 201cm ish with little load. Does mean I'll have to pay more for French tolls if I keep awning on but I knew this from the beginning. Could cost £70 extra in tolls for each return trip to southern Europe if I can't get it down to 200cm when loaded. Crazy crossed my mind to buy many folding water carriers to add extra weight once loaded to get it down enough. Can still get into all the carparks I use which is handy.

Think ~203cm now + rear of awning but was only a quick measure. Not sure of highest point of roof but guess 201cm ish with little load. Does mean I'll have to pay more for French tolls if I keep awning on but I knew this from the beginning. Could cost £70 extra in tolls for each return trip to southern Europe if I can't get it down to 200cm when loaded. Crazy crossed my mind to buy many folding water carriers to add extra weight once loaded to get it down enough. Can still get into all the carparks I use which is handy.
Nice job there...
Ours is 205 on the back end of the Cali fully loaded (long spirit level method) and only 2 tolls were class 2 earlier in the summer and as we use the sanef tag it was quick and easy to get these refunded on the website after the invoice came through.
If you can't wait for the snow, head down to Portugal there are great tracks to drive on the Spanish side...

Last edited:
“tons less roll, vastly increased cornering ability”

Are you aware of the laws of physics?

You’ve raised the C of G therefore this statement is impossible.

Nice job there...
Ours is 205 on the back end of the Cali fully loaded (long spirit level method) and only 2 tolls were class 2 earlier in the summer and as we use the sanef tag it was quick and easy to get these refunded on the website after the invoice came through.
If you can wait for the snow, head down to Portugal there are great tracks to drive on the Spanish side...
Many thanks Loz, I use the tag too so really good to know it won't cost any more. Do you still use the 30kmh toll lanes with the height restriction?
I'd love to go explore Portugal tracks. Is there a guide to the tracks there do you know?

Why is it impossible? Seems pretty simple to me. The work he has done has obviously more than countered the slight rise in CofG. Anyway, he drives it, surely he would know?

I’m not dissing the bro, simply stating fact.

Like Steve said. Yes a small raise in the CoG but more than made up for by much stiffer and progressive rear springs. Prior to the work done the faster you corner the more extreme the roll became. Would get to a point of feeling scary when pushed and incredibly un comfortable being at such an angle. Now there is only a fraction of the roll and when pushed the van stays relatively level until limit of traction. I can now overtake cars on roundabouts without fear as have vastly improved cornering ability and a fraction of the roll. Fact.

I think what you perceive as improvement is the changed conditions brought about by new bushes and springs etc.

As long as the placebo allows you to “overtake cars on roundabouts” then all good.

In 25 yrs of designing performance vehicles and countless vehicle dynamics meetings I can’t recall anyone suggesting an increase in ride height to reduce lap time.

Whatever. Crack on. :bananadance2

Many thanks Loz, I use the tag too so really good to know it won't cost any more. Do you still use the 30kmh toll lanes with the height restriction?
I'd love to go explore Portugal tracks. Is there a guide to the tracks there do you know?
I tend to head tor the 30kmh lanes on the far right for lorries, so no height restrictions, but I have taken the height restricted ones with the plastic hanging chains so no issues.

There are a few tracks on wikiloc but I can give you the gpx files for this;
2017-12-20_08-43-17.png

I tend to head tor the 30kmh lanes on the far right for lorries, so no height restrictions, but I have taken the height restricted ones with the plastic hanging chains so no issues.

There are a few tracks on wikiloc but I can give you the gpx files for this;
View attachment 28436
Yes please!! Looks great! Much appreciated.

I think what you perceive as improvement is the changed conditions brought about by new bushes and springs etc.

As long as the placebo allows you to “overtake cars on roundabouts” then all good.

In 25 yrs of designing performance vehicles and countless vehicle dynamics meetings I can’t recall anyone suggesting an increase in ride height to reduce lap time.

Whatever. Crack on. :bananadance2
Hahaha... love you Sidepod. Shame I didn't know it was all in my imagination before as would have saved me from all the work and expense. Cracking on. X

Nice work, @Skewif ! You have better driving characteristics now for what you do with your Cali, like we have with our air suspension (among other things), but at a fraction of the (suspension) costs! Although we can still lower our van when approaching a toll gate... ;)

We also love the West Alps in Autumn, would love to go there together one day, 3 or 4 Cali's! (Although you seem to prefer travelling on your own).
Do you know this West Alps track book? We have all these tracks as gpx files:

gps-offroad-reisefuehrer-westalpen-pistenkuh-1.jpg

Shouldn't this thread be in the off-road corner of this forum?

Nice work, @Skewif ! You have better driving characteristics now for what you do with your Cali, like we have with our air suspension (among other things), but at a fraction of the (suspension) costs! Although we can still lower our van when approaching a toll gate... ;)

We also love the West Alps in Autumn, would love to go there together one day, 3 or 4 Cali's! (Although you seem to prefer travelling on your own).
Do you know this West Alps track book? We have all these tracks as gpx files:

Shouldn't this thread be in the off-road corner of this forum?

Thank you, I didn't even notice there was an off road section. Posted in the suspension section thinking it would be the most likely place to be of help to others thinking of modding.

While a do prefer to get away solo as more relaxing I'd love to meet up with others. It would be a dream come true. Despite spending months in the Alps I have never seen another Cali or T5 up on the tracks. I've tagged along with 4x4's before but would much rather be a part of a Cali convoy.

I'm thinking of going mid May to end of June and again for all of September and into October next year. But I'm flexible. When do you normally go?

I know of the book and intent to buy it along with Grosser Alpen Strassen Führer before my next trip. I'd love to see the files if possible if only to see if its worth buying the book. How big is the file?

I've tagged along with 4x4's before but would much rather be a part of a Cali convoy.

I'm thinking of going mid May to end of June and again for all of September and into October next year. But I'm flexible. When do you normally go?

September is our preferred month for the Alps. Last September we did another 'grand tour' of everything Alps BUT the West Alps.
We think there might be others on here (e.g. Iceland-goers like ourselves, or people who have rugged their Cali for rough road driving, like @zeratul, @estresao, @kave, @Ciki62) who would love going to the West Alps.

But next Sept we plan to be in Norway again. No plans yet for May/June, but then many of the higher passes will still be closed because of the snow... :cool:

I know of the book and intent to buy it along with Grosser Alpen Strassen Führer before my next trip. I'd love to see the files if possible if only to see if its worth buying the book. How big is the file?

We will PM you!