Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rough Road California.

Coast VW in South Moulton have been a Siekel dealer for years and they fitted mine..
I'm not sure of the connection between Coast and Seikel as no Seikel info on Coastvw.co.uk website (I might be looking on wrong site). On contacting Seikel.de they now direct you to their new "partner for the United Kingdom" Volkstrek 4x4 (not sure how they spell their name). I guess Coast is a dealer/agent and Volks Trek now the official partner as have showroom, demo vehicles and fitting workshop opening at end of month. Only going on what I've been told.

Just found this:
VOLKS TREK are very pleased to announce that we are now the UK supplier of SEIKEL Lift kits, All Terrain Equipment, Installation and Off Road preparation for the Volkswagen Transporter T4, T5 & T6.. We are based nr Aberystwyth in West Wales and between us have a wealth of knowledge and experience working with the Volkswagen Transporter. We have been fitting and using SEIKEL suspension products in the UK with great success since 2009. We are very happy with all the Seikel products we supply and can say from extreme use and product experience that they are more than up to any terrain conditions, wherever in the world it may be. SEIKEL is an Official Partner of Volkswagen in Germany. All SEIKEL products are approved by Volkswagen and fitting them will not affect your warranty in any way. Welcome to Volks Trek and the beginning of your new Volkswagen adventure, going beyond... for full product specifications please see the Seikel website... www.seikel.de for further information or to order products please email or call... volkstrek4x4@+++++.com 07779300712 www.seikel.de

Last edited:
It seems Seikel would be the easier way of getting the same as you did. What do you think about increased wear and less life from drive shafts? Is that expensive part to replace?
Is next step also larger tires on the rims? Seikel has a kit with 235/65 R17 tires which lifts even more.

It seems Seikel would be the easier way of getting the same as you did. What do you think about increased wear and less life from drive shafts? Is that expensive part to replace?
Is next step also larger tires on the rims? Seikel has a kit with 235/65 R17 tires which lifts even more.
I feel Seikel is the most sensible choice from what I now know.

Yes there will theoretically be a decrease in service life of the CV joints due to increased angle of the drive shaft. It only really is going to be an issue on the front as rear not often being driven. By how much a 30mm lift will shorten the driveshaft life seems unknown. I feel it will will not be that great and just means you'll be fitting new ones a little sooner than normal. In the big picture I don't feel it's worth worrying about.

I really wanted to fit the 235/65 R17 oversize tyres for more lift and greater sidewall but in the end stayed with std as didn't want to mess with the gearing of the DSG. 1st is just about ok when the going gets tough but find reverse already way too high geared when trying to reverse up a very steep slope with rocks or obstacles to avoid. If I had a manual I'd go oversize.

Pic is raised driveshaft angle, it's not too extreme to worry me.

IMG_0102.jpg

How does the Siekel system correct the tracking for raised ride height? Or do we just ignore it ? :Nailbiting

Sorry my bad. I thought it was adaptive. It does say not for vehicles with adaptive ride.

I take it the air suspension system does correct tracking?

After mine was fitted it went for a 4 wheel alignment, but seikel supply all the angles for the fitter to adjust to.

Sounds reasonable Loz.

The point I’m making is that tracking alters with ride height and, as far as I can tell, the VB air system doesn’t include a fandango system for correcting the tracking following a ride height change.

Sounds reasonable Loz.

The point I’m making is that tracking alters with ride height and, as far as I can tell, the VB air system doesn’t include a fandango system for correcting the tracking following a ride height change.
Yes, your absolutely correct, and the caster changes I think, so I guess it would be up to the owner to decide which height they do the most miles in and have it Hunter aligned at that setting.
Here is my setting sheet, the system has to be set to the closest vehicle then adjusted to Siekel's recommendations which is why there is a lot of red boxes. I left the Cali fully loaded so it is set for our "normal" use.

Attachments

• Seikel_Suspension_Settings.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 26
Blimey. It doesn’t run much camber! No wonder it’s a bit understeery!

Skewif, I want to raise the rear of my 4 motion, which springs did you end up using? I'm in NZ so a specification of the spring would be even better than a VW part number as 'VW tax' is strong here :)
Cheers (your setup sounds great!)

Skewif, I want to raise the rear of my 4 motion, which springs did you end up using? I'm in NZ so a specification of the spring would be even better than a VW part number as 'VW tax' is strong here :)
I used Pedders ( made in Australia) and still very happy with them. They did lift the rear some 50mm though which made the van too nose down so lifted the front 30mm to compensate.

These may be of use for front & rear. you can get spacers for the rear only. Various available

Why just the rear?

These may be of use for front & rear. you can get spacers for the rear only. Various available

Unfortunately the authorities here have an aversion to spacers. It would fail its ‘mot’ if fitted.

I used Pedders ( made in Australia) and still very happy with them. They did lift the rear some 50mm though which made the van too nose down so lifted the front 30mm to compensate.
Can I ask which actual products you specified as their website is not at all helpful in detailing the specs of the products! https://www.pedders.com.au/catalogue/springs/volkswagen#
I think you mentioned Sachs dampers too?
My plan is to start with the rear springs. Evaluate, then progress perhaps with rear dampers and then front bushes, springs and dampers as necessary and the same as you. I’m sure sidepod means well but perhaps we are starting from a different place than he anticipates. Ie, the std 4motion California is not fit for purpose when loaded (and carrying heavy ebikes on an extended tow bar mounted carrier in my case).

Can I ask which actual products you specified as their website is not at all helpful in detailing the specs of the products! https://www.pedders.com.au/catalogue/springs/volkswagen#
I think you mentioned Sachs dampers too?
My plan is to start with the rear springs. Evaluate, then progress perhaps with rear dampers and then front bushes, springs and dampers as necessary and the same as you. I’m sure sidepod means well but perhaps we are starting from a different place than he anticipates. Ie, the std 4motion California is not fit for purpose when loaded (and carrying heavy ebikes on an extended tow bar mounted carrier in my case).

pedders-heavy-duty-coil-spring-7891.html Unless you really want to raise both ends of the van for ground clearance then T32 rear springs and really good HD rear shocks will give you a superior ride and load handling without needing to change anything else. I would change the rear shocks to something decent first because if your van has done a fair few miles or you're real heavy it will transform the handling and ride under load. I have Sachs HD super touring shocks on the front and Pedders HD shocks on the rear. The Pedders are now getting a little soft for my liking so going to try some Koni Active shocks on the rear soon as heard nothing but good reports. Hope that helps

pedders-heavy-duty-coil-spring-7891.html Unless you really want to raise both ends of the van for ground clearance then T32 rear springs and really good HD rear shocks will give you a superior ride and load handling without needing to change anything else. I would change the rear shocks to something decent first because if your van has done a fair few miles or you're real heavy it will transform the handling and ride under load. I have Sachs HD super touring shocks on the front and Pedders HD shocks on the rear. The Pedders are now getting a little soft for my liking so going to try some Koni Active shocks on the rear soon as heard nothing but good reports. Hope that helps
Yes thanks, most helpful. I’ve just been on the phone to the NZ disti and ordered the springs. I’ll evaluate first before buying dampers. The van has only done 25k miles. Cheers for help, james

Thanks. Pretty good value I think at around £1k for the full set. Did you leave the plastic undertray on or take it off?

Thanks. Pretty good value I think at around £1k for the full set. Did you leave the plastic undertray on or take it off?
Yes left the plastic tray on, no need to take off. Compared to what else is available I feel they are good value. They're also really tough, most impressed with what they can endure without deforming. Seikel rock sliders are great too, you really can easily slide over rocks that would cause major damage without them. Together a small price to pay for peace of mind.