Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sea to Summit test

Paulro

Paulro

VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Over the last 12 years we’ve tried many different mattress combinations and options for upstairs sleeping.
The main requirement is comfort but as we’re in the middle of a nearly 8 week trip in Europe I also wanted something that could stay in the roof space.
We’re into the 5th week with the Sea to Summit mattress and I can report positively and say that we’ve never slept better. There’s no aching backs just an extremely comfortable night’s sleep.
The mattress is self inflating so it means pulling one or two sealing plugs and it inflates itself. I use a small pump to add a little more air and to remove air before lowering the roof.
The Duvalay gold mattress, one of our early choices was great but huge and this is, without doubt, the next best option for us.
Yes they’re expensive but they are impressive.

We like ours but it’s a bit of a pain to deflate, even with the usb deflator.

... I use a small pump to add a little more air and to remove air before lowering the roof....
What pump do you use?
And once deflated, doesn't the S2S press on the roof? Or did you remove the original mattress?
Some here said that nothing could be left on the mattress, at the risk of deforming the roof.

What pump do you use?
And once deflated, doesn't the S2S press on the roof? Or did you remove the original mattress?
Some here said that nothing could be left on the mattress, at the risk of deforming the roof.
We bought a basic Amazon USB pump - there are hundreds of them - just seach air bed inflate/deflate. There is a long worn debate on this forum about if you can leave a S2S mattress in the roof with it deflated (and the mattress). We do not, some do. Depends on your level of roof risk allowance. Ours is none. The roof is more expensive to fix than the convenience of leaving the mattress up.

Last edited:
We have a sea to summit mattress top and bottom beds. Again remove plug and use a fast usb air pump to inflate and deflate. No other mattress up top. Super comfy with a zipped customised duvet cover. Very happy with the set up.

I really do sleep better on our sea to summit mattress than our bed at home ……. but then maybe we need a new mattress at home … :)

Over the last 12 years we’ve tried many different mattress combinations and options for upstairs sleeping.
The main requirement is comfort but as we’re in the middle of a nearly 8 week trip in Europe I also wanted something that could stay in the roof space.
We’re into the 5th week with the Sea to Summit mattress and I can report positively and say that we’ve never slept better. There’s no aching backs just an extremely comfortable night’s sleep.
The mattress is self inflating so it means pulling one or two sealing plugs and it inflates itself. I use a small pump to add a little more air and to remove air before lowering the roof.
The Duvalay gold mattress, one of our early choices was great but huge and this is, without doubt, the next best option for us.
I am sure a pile of us will be at Camper Jam next month to give advice on our setups and feelings. Come and have a chat with us. Marcus

So you leave the STS SIM in the upstairs bed when you close the roof? That fits? Do you need to deflate it much? What do you do to deflate it before leaving it upstairs?

We like ours but it’s a bit of a pain to deflate, even with the usb deflator.
Certainly agree, but unbunging it and some mechanical advantage (folding it, roll on it, repeat) the powered deflating doesn’t take very long. Although not very elegant admittedly.

Sorry If I'm being daft, but how do you deflate it? Do you sit on it with your knees and then roll is up? There's not much room for that in the top bed is there?

Sorry If I'm being daft, but how do you deflate it? Do you sit on it with your knees and then roll is up? There's not much room for that in the top bed is there?
3b699089-6ec8-49fa-a599-2fcfbccbb662-jpeg.109927

Fold it in half lengthwise then lay on it. As more air escapes you can fold into thirds and more. I put the bung expelling air way round when it gets small enough to make an appreciable difference, rather than to start with. Hope that makes sense.

Buy a small electric pump that inflates and deflates. Check out the YouTube video. It works well

These S2S Campervan mattresses are prone to getting micro holes at the seams. So even if deflated it will slowly inflate in the roof space and press against the poptop skin increasing the risk of damage. I wouldn't leave one up there.

Due to lots of sand from the dogs, we take our V6 Dyson with us to keep the van tidy. I have cut one of the tubes off an attachment we don't use and it sucks the air out very fast. I gave up on the little usb air pump. (We have an Outdoor Revolution bed)

These S2S Campervan mattresses are prone to getting micro holes at the seams. So even if deflated it will slowly inflate in the roof space and press against the poptop skin increasing the risk of damage. I wouldn't leave one up there.
Little risk surely? I’m thinking the force coming from the slowly expanding mattress won’t be sufficient to cause damage and inflation will stop when the mattress comes up against the roof? I’m interested in thoughts on this!

Little risk surely? I’m thinking the force coming from the slowly expanding mattress won’t be sufficient to cause damage and inflation will stop when the mattress comes up against the roof? I’m interested in thoughts on this!
Yeah I think your right.
I accidentally left a 3” memory foam mattress up there and shut the roof, and the back was sat up around an inch and I thought that didn’t look right.
I’d have had a right nightmare if I’d have driven it.

Do S2C do a mattress that is the same width as the upstairs mattress ?

Which one do you use for upstairs ?
Could you post a link please ?

Yeah I think your right.
I accidentally left a 3” memory foam mattress up there and shut the roof, and the back was sat up around an inch and I thought that didn’t look right.
I’d have had a right nightmare if I’d have driven it.

Do S2C do a mattress that is the same width as the upstairs mattress ?
Unfortunately not But TBH we have used both upstairs and down (Duvalay and S2S) and the difference is negligible in real world use (size not comfort!).

Last edited:
Unfortunately not But TBH we have used both upstairs and down (Duvalay and S2S) and the difference is negligible in real world use (size not comfort!).
What’s the difference in comfort?

What’s the difference in comfort?
Hard to explain TBH. They very different. The Duvalay, especially over the top of the uncomfort mattress or top springs is the most “bed like”. The SIM is a little more “air bed” like but due to the construction has a softer feel making it much more sleepable. Were we’re impressed but take the Duvalay now. It takes up more precious room but a lot less hassle to use. The plan is when we use the drive away guests can use the SIM in there.

Back