Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sea to Summit test

Hard to explain TBH. They very different. The Duvalay, especially over the top of the uncomfort mattress or top springs is the most “bed like”. The SIM is a little more “air bed” like but due to the construction has a softer feel making it much more sleepable. Were we’re impressed but take the Duvalay now. It takes up more precious room but a lot less hassle to use. The plan is when we use the drive away guests can use the SIM in there.
Thanks. I just got a S2S so will see how we get on. I like less hassle but it’ll be worth the effort if really comfy.

Thanks. I just got a S2S so will see how we get on. I like less hassle but it’ll be worth the effort if really comfy.

Hi we also have the S2S - used on downstairs bed - and like others find it really comfortable, I think I even prefer it to a normal bed! I don’t find it a hassle at all - when travelling we just let a bit of air out and fold it in 3 on the back shelf (like the comfort mattress) then use one of those tiny pumps as above to top up when making up the bed. At home I deflate it properly using the pump and pop it under the boot shelf where it lives. It does re-inflate a little bit even with valves closed so for that reason I would not store in roof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi we also have the S2S - used on downstairs bed - and like others find it really comfortable, I think I even prefer it to a normal bed! I don’t find it a hassle at all - when travelling we just let a bit of air out and fold it in 3 on the back shelf (like the comfort mattress) then use one of those tiny pumps as above to top up when making up the bed. At home I deflate it properly using the pump and pop it under the boot shelf where it lives. It does re-inflate a little bit even with valves closed so for that reason I would not store in roof.

That’s great info, thank you. I did a trial run at home and it seems really comfy! Not tested in the van yet, but it’s ready for our next trip.

I’ve had mine in the roof for 9 months now including in heat waves with no issue. I can only see a risk if you were to leave it without using it or popping the roof for several weeks - which we don’t do year round. I love ours, very comfortable.

The only improvement I’d make is to make it dual chambered, that way it would be easier to deflate fully and me and the Mrs could fine tune the firmness to suit - I like a firm mattress she is more ‘princess and the pea’

I’ve had mine in the roof for 9 months now including in heat waves with no issue. I can only see a risk if you were to leave it without using it or popping the roof for several weeks - which we don’t do year round. I love ours, very comfortable.

The only improvement I’d make is to make it dual chambered, that way it would be easier to deflate fully and me and the Mrs could fine tune the firmness to suit - I like a firm mattress she is more ‘princess and the pea’

Just to be sure, you use the S2S Campervan SIM? You leave it upstairs? Without the original matrass? No bedding / pillows left upstairs I assume? And do you deflate it manually or with a pump?

I'm double checking this, cause I would love to use and leave the S2S SIM upstairs but do not want to wreck the roof.

Just to be sure, you use the S2S Campervan SIM? You leave it upstairs? Without the original matrass? No bedding / pillows left upstairs I assume? And do you deflate it manually or with a pump?

I'm double checking this, cause I would love to use and leave the S2S SIM upstairs but do not want to wreck the roof.

Yes that’s correct, I do keep a Pucer pop top screen folded flat too but no original mattress or bedding beyond a fitted sheet. I deflate it with a small electric pump, takes a couple of minutes and the S2S is flatter than the standard mattress.

Yes that’s correct, I do keep a Pucer pop top screen folded flat too but no original mattress or bedding beyond a fitted sheet. I deflate it with a small electric pump, takes a couple of minutes and the S2S is flatter than the standard mattress.

Thanks. I appreciate this. Will try it for our upcoming trip to the UK. If you could also ensure some good weather, that'd be great! ;-)

Thanks. I appreciate this. Will try it for our upcoming trip to the UK. If you could also ensure some good weather, that'd be great! ;-)

Are you familiar with the UK weather Enjoy the trip, at least you should sleep comfortably even if it does rain 24/7!

Can someone point me to the correct S2S mattress as I can't see any dimensions for the campervan version, only single, large single and double?
Much appreciated,
Mark.

Can someone point me to the correct S2S mattress as I can't see any dimensions for the campervan version, only single, large single and double?
Much appreciated,
Mark.
Its the one with the cutout. Called the Camper version. 201x115

Much appreciated,
Mark.
Also called the comfort delux si
Like @Corradobrit said it’s the one with a cut out for downstairs.
And if you want one for upstairs and feeling flush get the double size as that will work upstairs.
Edit * the double is too wide for upstairs *

Last edited:
Also called the comfort delux si
Like @Corradobrit said it’s the one with a cut out for downstairs.
And if you want one for upstairs and feeling flush get the double size as that will work upstairs.
Isn't the double too wide at 132cm. Its 120cm wide in the poptop. The gusseted design of all the other SI Comfort mattresses might be more risky in the poptop if they auto inflate.

Isn't the double too wide at 132cm. Its 120cm wide in the poptop. The gusseted design of all the other SI Comfort mattresses might be more risky in the poptop if they auto inflate.
I googled this last week.
I got back
The roof bed in the California Ocean measures 2m x 1.2m. There is an option to fix a child safety net for toddlers and babies.
So the S2S double is 201x132

Oh Wowzer, yep you’re right!
It’s the tramadol I’m on. Impairs my judgement.
So yep it’s 12 cm too wide !!
What a bummer !
Would the camper one fit.
I can’t see the dimensions for camper mattress ?

I googled this last week.
I got back
The roof bed in the California Ocean measures 2m x 1.2m. There is an option to fix a child safety net for toddlers and babies.
So the S2S double is 201x132

Oh Wowzer, yep you’re right!
It’s the tramadol I’m on. Impairs my judgement.
What a bummer !
Would the camper one fit.
I can’t see the dimensions for camper mattress ?
Yes the Camper version fits fine up top. Its 115 wide and 201 long.

I wonder though if this extra 6cm per side could be accommodated by the additional roof width between the original mattress edge, and the pop top material...?

I wonder though if this extra 6cm per side could be accommodated by the additional roof width between the original mattress edge, and the pop top material...?
The width will increase considerably when the mattress is deflated. Unless it is taken down every time the poptop is closed you could be asking for trouble.

The width will increase considerably when the mattress is deflated. Unless it is taken down every time the poptop is closed you could be asking for trouble.
I always remove my campervan STS anyway, for reasons given above.
I don't notice the width increasing when deflated, the seam keeps it the same size...

Sorry If I'm being daft, but how do you deflate it? Do you sit on it with your knees and then roll is up? There's not much room for that in the top bed is there?
Yes you can.

I always remove my campervan STS anyway, for reasons given above.
I don't notice the width increasing when deflated, the seam keeps it the same size...
The Camper van version has a unique design and is only stitched along a single seam. All the other Comfort Deluxe mattresses are gusseted and will extend beyond the dimensions of the fully inflated state when deflated and compressed.

Thanks for the information and links. This was my issue, I can't seem to find the dimensions of the S2S Camper version as the double is too wide.

Thanks for the information and links. This was my issue, I can't seem to find the dimensions of the S2S Camper version as the double is too wide.
Even though its given a generic camper van title, that mattress is specifically designed for the lower bed in the California Coast/Ocean (hence the cutout)

Even though its given a generic camper van title, that mattress is specifically designed for the lower bed in the California Coast/Ocean (hence the cutout)
Cheers, and it fit's the upstairs bed ok?

I don't see how the mattress if stored in the roof space, with or without the standard mattress, in its deflated state, can cause damage to the roof if it self-inflates.
It is not active self-inflation only passive. The construction allows the internal volume to increase thus dropping the internal pressure and allowing external air to pass in from the external atmospheric pressure to the lower internal pressure until they are equal. The only danger would be storing the mattress in its deflated state and then leaving the roof up for a prolonged period of time during which the mattress self-inflates and then attempting to close the roof without ensuring the mattress is , again, deflated prior to closing it.
Storing a deflated mattress with the roof closed cannot produce any increased pressure on the roof than atmospheric pressure too which the roof is already exposed to.

Back