Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Seat covers??

My original point was a straightforward reply to the OP which I hoped may be of interest to anyone looking for simple or temporary protection for the seats which we have found suits our requirement very well. I thought this was the essence of a forum where many ideas come together and form a pool of knowledge (that I and i'm sure many others have found very informative) rather than there being just one direction that everyone must follow like sheep or risk the wrath of the faithful followers. Not exactly an attitude in keeping with my idea of the freedom and individuality provided by our amazing California's!

WG then raised a very valid point on air bag deployment which surely cannot be overlooked just because some manufacturers say everything is fine. I personally would like to see proof of testing and the results before blindly accepting their sales blurb...... If no one has any, I would be very concerned about the safety of these products regardless of how much they cost.

Doesn't that sort of comment belong on a different thread or has one of us completely missed the point?
It just seems strange to call someone a fool for buying a quality product when we have all spent a lot of money buying the Cali which itself is a quality product. We could all have bought a cheaper camper but we went for quality and no one is a fool for doing that surely?

The Brandrup information sheet says that their seat covers are exposed to the same tests as the VW production vehicles

It just seems strange to call someone a fool for buying a quality product when we have all spent a lot of money buying the Cali which itself is a quality product. We could all have bought a cheaper camper but we went for quality and no one is a fool for doing that surely?
No question in my mind that the California is a quality product (thats why I bought one) but some aftermarket products are clearly not and as WG rightly says on safety grounds "should be removed immediately". Caveat emptor excepting of course those that prefer Ostrich sydrome.

Perhaps someone with a greater knowledge of design, engineering, physics or ballistics can explain how an extra layer of material and seams or flaps over the airbag position can be proven to not affect its deployment?

I'm not saying that a properly designed & tested cover is not going to affect the deployment of a side airbag in any way, but if you had seen the amount of force produced when an air bag goes off you would appreciate a few bits of stitches splitting is going to make a minuscule difference.

I can only relate to a friends front air bag going off, the explosion was sufficient to break both his legs & a number of bones in his feet, he won't be sitting with his feet on the dashboard again. He also got two black eyes & a broken nose. The airbag worked as intended.

I use the Brandrup covers because they don't look like seat covers, they fit well & I believe they do not compromise the airbags. I also have Inka waterproof covers for the muddy seasons & as they are made for VW I trust those as well. I am not convinced about other types/makes.

I'm not saying that a properly designed & tested cover is not going to affect the deployment of a side airbag in any way, but if you had seen the amount of force produced when an air bag goes off you would appreciate a few bits of stitches splitting is going to make a minuscule difference.

I can only relate to a friends front air bag going off, the explosion was sufficient to break both his legs & a number of bones in his feet, he won't be sitting with his feet on the dashboard again. He also got two black eyes & a broken nose. The airbag worked as intended.

I use the Brandrup covers because they don't look like seat covers, they fit well & I believe they do not compromise the airbags. I also have Inka waterproof covers for the muddy seasons & as they are made for VW I trust those as well. I am not convinced about other types/makes.
I just like to see proof that "a few bits of stitches splitting" plus the extra layer of material makes NO difference.
I have seen ballistic testing where powerful shotgun, rifle and handgun rounds are stopped at short range by lightweight fabrics and stitching.

In the absence of definitive testing, the only fitted seat covers I would consider using are direct replacements of the manufacturers originals.

In the absence of definitive testing, the only fitted seat covers I would consider using are direct replacements of the manufacturers originals.
This is from Brandrup.

"The tear seams for the side airbags of every seat cover are made by a computer-controlled sewing machine; hereby every seam is automatically and precisely documented: Thus it is assured that every tear seam is save and has the same production quality and precision as the tested and approved ones, which have passed the safety tests held by Volkswagen.
These tests are not mandatory: For our customers safety we voluntarily expose our seat covers to the same strict tests as the ones that the seats of the production vehicles undergo".

Mike

So, no votes so far for open minded impartiality, where are these "test" results?
36 posts and no support for common sense and logic? Are there perhaps conflict of interest issues here? Why buy expensive inferior copy covers to fit over the VW originals when surely one can just replace the VW originals?

The large seat cover makers like brandrup and Inka spend thousands of pounds
Passing strict guidelines with their covers they are tested to a very high standard in all situations and will be approved by insurance company's
Is there any documentation that shows insurance company approvals?

So, no votes so far for open minded impartiality, where are these "test" results?
36 posts and no support for common sense and logic? Are there perhaps conflict of interest issues here? Why buy expensive inferior copy covers to fit over the VW originals when surely one can just replace the VW originals?
I reckon if your really that worried Brandrup would supply you with the info.

14 of the posts are yours

I believe the seat covers are purchased by people who wish to cover their original seat, not covers. So that they can be removed and washed when required.

I'm not by the way as going for the Alcantara.

I have however gone for the Inka waterproof ones which will get slipped on when required.

I would not buy anything which is safety related except from reputable companies but we have to trust someone.

As your not buying any I wouldn't worry as you have clearly warned everyone of the dangers

Mike

I just like to see proof that "a few bits of stitches splitting" plus the extra layer of material makes NO difference.
I have seen ballistic testing where powerful shotgun, rifle and handgun rounds are stopped at short range by lightweight fabrics and stitching.

I was careful not to say it would make no difference. Its whether any difference matters thats the point.

If Brandrup state they are tested & VW are happy to sell them as tested thats fine with me.

You say "Why buy expensive inferior copy covers to fit over the VW originals when surely one can just replace the VW originals?"

Expensive - I paid ÂŁ200 for a pair of brandrup seat covers having already spent over ÂŁ40k that seems pretty good to protect the originals
Inferior - In what way are they inferior? they look & feel like the originals & fit so well that they don't look like covers.
Replace the originals - what do you suggest we do ? buy a complete set of original covers just in case one gets marked & then find someone to fit them all for less than ÂŁ200?

If I ever had to sell the van, having pristine seats at sale time once the covers are off is probably worth ÂŁ200 on the resale price, I can then stick the covers on eBay and recover another ÂŁ200 so infact it would seem silly to not have the brandrup ones!

I also have a full set of the inka waterproof covers, horrible sweaty slippery things but if I know I'm going to have the muddy dog/footballers etc in the van I will put them on.

I reckon if your really that worried Brandrup would supply you with the info.

14 of the posts are yours

I believe the seat covers are purchased by people who wish to cover their original seat, not covers. So that they can be removed and washed when required.

I'm not by the way as going for the Alcantara.

I have however gone for the Inka waterproof ones which will get slipped on when required.

I would not buy anything which is safety related except from reputable companies but we have to trust someone.

As your not buying any I wouldn't worry as you have clearly warned everyone of the dangers

Mike
I'm not worried as we are happy with our easily removed and fitted water resistant seat protection but I would be concerned about any possibly of compromising safety and invalidating my insurance fitting something over the aibags.

I was careful not to say it would make no difference. Its whether any difference matters thats the point.

If Brandrup state they are tested & VW are happy to sell them as tested thats fine with me.

You say "Why buy expensive inferior copy covers to fit over the VW originals when surely one can just replace the VW originals?"

Expensive - I paid ÂŁ200 for a pair of brandrup seat covers having already spent over ÂŁ40k that seems pretty good to protect the originals
Inferior - In what way are they inferior? they look & feel like the originals & fit so well that they don't look like covers.
Replace the originals - what do you suggest we do ? buy a complete set of original covers just in case one gets marked & then find someone to fit them all for less than ÂŁ200?

If I ever had to sell the van, having pristine seats at sale time once the covers are off is probably worth ÂŁ200 on the resale price, I can then stick the covers on eBay and recover another ÂŁ200 so infact it would seem silly to not have the brandrup ones!

I also have a full set of the inka waterproof covers, horrible sweaty slippery things but if I know I'm going to have the muddy dog/footballers etc in the van I will put them on.
Just expressing my opinions. For me it would be pointless and diminish the pleasure of having such an amazingly well designed vehicle by permanently covering up the lovely VW originals just so the next owner can have the benefit of pristine upholstery and you may gain a few quid on residual value.

@Ben Nevis , no offence but your point is proven , stick to NO seat covers and hope you never have a accident as i wich nobody having a accident.
I never had an issue with the seatcovers and never had any doubts they would not be safe if the airbags should open....
If we go this way , are we even sure that the airbag is working , are there air bags in ( did anyone checked?) and VW is fooling us?
This conversation can go on and on ....
Try to enjoy the good things , owning a Cali is great , if we constant have to be thinking what if this ....what if that ...is this ok ....you better sell it.

"you better sell it" I don't see any sense in that statement when I have clearly said we are very happy with our choices on this amazing vehicle (following on from 15years with our old T4 which has never had seat covers and still looks good) but have genuine concerns about the wisdom of spending circa 600 euro on aftermarket seat cover options.

"you better sell it" I don't see any sense in that statement when I have clearly said we are very happy with our choices on this amazing vehicle (following on from 15years with our old T4 which has never had seat covers and still looks good) but have genuine concerns about the wisdom of spending circa 600 euro on aftermarket seat cover options.

It was a whole sentence where you took those four words out....
Think this topic is way beyond it's original post .
We all have our own opinions and i can perfect live with others opinion.
I am happy with seatcovers . Others don't .

Think we need to go back to page one ...

It was a whole sentence where you took those four words out....
Think this topic is way beyond it's original post .
We all have our own opinions and i can perfect live with others opinion.
I am happy with seatcovers . Others don't .

Think we need to go back to page one ...
The whole sentence is clearly there for all to see but you did write those four words. If you are ok with others opinions, why tell them better to sell it when they don't agree with yours? You are of course free to go back to page one and pretend the unanswered insurance and safety issues are unimportant. To me and my passengers they most certainly are.

@Ben Nevis , no offence but your point is proven , stick to NO seat covers and hope you never have a accident as i wich nobody having a accident.
I never had an issue with the seatcovers and never had any doubts they would not be safe if the airbags should open....
If we go this way , are we even sure that the airbag is working , are there air bags in ( did anyone checked?) and VW is fooling us?
This conversation can go on and on ....
Try to enjoy the good things , owning a Cali is great , if we constant have to be thinking what if this ....what if that ...is this ok ....you better sell it.
Again, are you missing the point? If the air bags are missing, faulty or fail it is not necessarily the drivers fault or responsibility. However, If the air bags are covered up by the driver or owner, would the insurers pay out for personal injury and who would be responsible?

Again, are you missing the point? If the air bags are missing, faulty or fail it is not necessarily the drivers fault or responsibility. However, If the air bags are covered up by the driver or owner, would the insurers pay out for personal injury and who would be responsible?
It doesn't require constant thinking about, it's a no brainer as they say.

Just expressing my opinions. For me it would be pointless and diminish the pleasure of having such an amazingly well designed vehicle by permanently covering up the lovely VW originals just so the next owner can have the benefit of pristine upholstery and you may gain a few quid on residual value.
But thats the point of the brandrup ones - most people wouldn't know they are fitted, they feel & look the same as the original seats, I would rather sit on those than your poundshop specials

But thats the point of the brandrup ones - most people wouldn't know they are fitted, they feel & look the same as the original seats, I would rather sit on those than your poundshop specials
I am more interested in the facts so will try to avoid unreasoned biased opinion.
1) No aftermarket covers look or fit as good as the original VW upholstery.
2) I would know they were fitted especially if i'd paid 600 plus euros.
3) I bought mine from Home Bargains not Poundshop, they do the job I wanted them for and they take seconds to remove revealing the lovely VW upholstery which I would rather sit on than any aftermarket covers.
4) No one has answered the obvious safety and insurance concerns.