Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Seat covers??

This is from Brandrup.

"The tear seams for the side airbags of every seat cover are made by a computer-controlled sewing machine; hereby every seam is automatically and precisely documented: Thus it is assured that every tear seam is save and has the same production quality and precision as the tested and approved ones, which have passed the safety tests held by Volkswagen.
These tests are not mandatory: For our customers safety we voluntarily expose our seat covers to the same strict tests as the ones that the seats of the production vehicles undergo".

Mike
I think this is part of the problem. My reading of the above statement from Brandrup is that their seat covers respond in exactly the same way as the original VW fitted seat cover.
BUT we now have 2 seat covers over the Air Bag position. How does that affect the performance and deployment of the Air Bag. Brandrup don't state that, only that their covers perform as the original.

I think this is part of the problem. My reading of the above statement from Brandrup is that their seat covers respond in exactly the same way as the original VW fitted seat cover.
BUT we now have 2 seat covers over the Air Bag position. How does that affect the performance and deployment of the Air Bag. Brandrup don't state that, only that their covers perform as the original.
Thanks for that WG, I was beginning to feel like an alien that failed to find any sign of intelligent life!
It also states that the test they refer to is not mandatory (and therefore meaningless).
I'm unable to find any references to the previously mentioned Insurance approval though.

I am more interested in the facts so will try to avoid unreasoned biased opinion.
1) No aftermarket covers look or fit as good as the original VW upholstery.
2) I would know they were fitted especially if i'd paid 600 plus euros.
3) I bought mine from Home Bargains not Poundshop, they do the job I wanted them for and they take seconds to remove revealing the lovely VW upholstery which I would rather sit on than any aftermarket covers.
4) No one has answered the obvious safety and insurance concerns.

1. Thats in your opinion not necessarily fact. Brandrup covers if fitted carefully look and fit as well as the original upholstery
2. Who cares? I know I've got seat covers on - most people that get in the van wouldn't.
3. If you would rather sit on the lovely VW upholstery why do you bother with your home bargain covers?

I admit I would rather sit on the original covers hence going for brandrup which are the same material & pattern so no different to sitting on the originals. I would rather sit on them than any other I have seen

4. As I said before if VW are happy to sell Brandrup as they were when we bought our Van, I am happy to fit them. I reckon there is more risk attached to using an unsecured universal fit cover than one purpose made and supported by the manufacturer. I have no concerns re safety or insurance.

Why are you so worried about the use of airbags with Brandrup covers when I get the impression you won't be buying them anyway?

One last question - have you actually seen a set of properly fitted Brandrup covers ?

1. Thats in your opinion not necessarily fact. Brandrup covers if fitted carefully look and fit as well as the original upholstery
2. Who cares? I know I've got seat covers on - most people that get in the van wouldn't.
3. If you would rather sit on the lovely VW upholstery why do you bother with your home bargain covers?

I admit I would rather sit on the original covers hence going for brandrup which are the same material & pattern so no different to sitting on the originals. I would rather sit on them than any other I have seen

4. As I said before if VW are happy to sell Brandrup as they were when we bought our Van, I am happy to fit them. I reckon there is more risk attached to using an unsecured universal fit cover than one purpose made and supported by the manufacturer. I have no concerns re safety or insurance.

Why are you so worried about the use of airbags with Brandrup covers when I get the impression you won't be buying them anyway?

One last question - have you actually seen a set of properly fitted Brandrup covers ?

If you didn't read from the beginning, the HB covers were simply a temporary solution for protection from spillages and the delightfully messy grandchildren whilst eating (mostly whilst the car is stationary) but have proved rather better than anything else at a fraction of the cost. I have continued to use them even whilst driving whenever I have wet or muddy walking clothes on. Not sure why you reckon they attach more risk given we all wear seat belts and the grandchildren are in Isofix child seats?

My original interest was in ordering the Brandrup or Inka covers but after researching which was best to protect the seats and have safety approvals despite assurances from manufacturers and on this forum re Safety Testing, MIRA Testing, Insurance Approval, TUV Approval, Vehicle Certification Agency Approval, and VW Approval I've found no factual documentary evidence to support these claims and I now believe there is also a fumdamental design/safety flaw in any aftermarket product that covers the air bags.

Of course I fully understand there is a fanatically well supported market for aftermarket add ons but any product that attempts to defy sound engineering logic or gives me the gut feeling it could compromise the safety of my family in this vehicle is not for me at any price.

I consider all of these points together with other's opposing opinions as useful information for anyone else on this excellent forum who may be considering seat covers.

This link has some interesting information, for those interested.

http://www.carseatcover.eu/before-purchase/
Very good information (clearly from a responsible manufacturer and the best i've seen so far) which confirms most of my concerns. They claim to be the only approved manufacturer and I would consider their products if my originals required replacing but definately not fitted on top of the original seat upholstery where the airbags are located. One layer is the answer for me.

We quite liked the jackyards ones but when we asked them about testing they said they don't carry out tests which is very worrying and I am surprised they are allowed to continue selling them?

In the end we went for the Inka lifestyle which are tested and approved.

I think we will have to disagree on this as you clearly know best

We quite liked the jackyards ones but when we asked them about testing they said they don't carry out tests which is very worrying and I am surprised they are allowed to continue selling them?

Perhaps someone knows where these test results and approvals are lurking?

Perhaps someone knows where these test results and approvals are lurking?

Try VCA or MIRA as quoted in the other thread? I can't see a big company like Inka not having the correct testing done as they make covers for all the top manufacturers.

You say
My original interest was in ordering the Brandrup or Inka covers but after researching which was best to protect the seats and have safety approvals despite assurances from manufacturers and on this forum re Safety Testing, MIRA Testing, Insurance Approval, TUV Approval, Vehicle Certification Agency Approval, and VW Approval I've found no factual documentary evidence to support these claims and I now believe there is also a fumdamental design/safety flaw in any aftermarket product that covers the air bags.

Have you actually asked the manufacturers for evidence to back up their claims?
Are you in any way qualified to asses whether there is a fundamental design/safety flaw?

I believe Brandrup when they make claims in their brochure such as
The seat covers for the backrests of all VW T5 cabin seats have been proofed extensively regarding the triggering of the side airbags and comply with all requirements of Volkswagen.

The tear seams for the side airbags of every seat cover are made by a computer- controlled sewing machine and exactly and automatically documented:

With this we assure that every tear seam has the same production qualitiy as the proofed ones, which have passed the voluntary testings.

and further on in the brochure

The seat covers for the backrests of the cabin seats from 2010 have documented tear seams for the side airbags and fullfill all requirements of Volkswagen.

I am happy to pay a little more for a product that I believe has been tested to VWs satisfaction & if you want covers that don't actually look like covers they are the only option.

If you don't believe that covers supplied by the vehicle manufacturers main dealers, that are marked as being for use on an airbag equipped seat are not safe to use and that is such a huge concern take it up with VW and ask them whether they are safe to use or not.

If you are that concerned for the safety of your passengers, I am absolutely amazed that you let them travel in the rear of a vehicle which has no rear airbags or rear seatbelt pretensioners etc

My understanding is there is no mandatory requirement to have them tested for safety or otherwise. Which only raises more questions as to what tests some of these manufacturers say they have had carried out and why are the results so hard to find?

You say

Have you actually asked the manufacturers for evidence to back up their claims?
Are you in any way qualified to asses whether there is a fundamental design/safety flaw?

I believe Brandrup when they make claims in their brochure such as
The seat covers for the backrests of all VW T5 cabin seats have been proofed extensively regarding the triggering of the side airbags and comply with all requirements of Volkswagen.

The tear seams for the side airbags of every seat cover are made by a computer- controlled sewing machine and exactly and automatically documented:

With this we assure that every tear seam has the same production qualitiy as the proofed ones, which have passed the voluntary testings.

and further on in the brochure

The seat covers for the backrests of the cabin seats from 2010 have documented tear seams for the side airbags and fullfill all requirements of Volkswagen.

I am happy to pay a little more for a product that I believe has been tested to VWs satisfaction & if you want covers that don't actually look like covers they are the only option.

If you don't believe that covers supplied by the vehicle manufacturers main dealers, that are marked as being for use on an airbag equipped seat are not safe to use and that is such a huge concern take it up with VW and ask them whether they are safe to use or not.

If you are that concerned for the safety of your passengers, I am absolutely amazed that you let them travel in the rear of a vehicle which has no rear airbags or rear seatbelt pretensioners etc
All I can say to that is I don't just blindly believe all that I read on this matter(especially when it is riddled with abiguity) unless it's supported by proper independent test results as is claimed. However, I fully understand the defensive tactics of if you don't like the news, just try to shoot down the messenger!

Try VCA or MIRA as quoted in the other thread? I can't see a big company like Inka not having the correct testing done as they make covers for all the top manufacturers.
Nope, nothing that I can find. VCA website and links from Inka are blank. Perhaps all this needs updating but odd that no one else has come up with anything as this site is usually the place to look for all that is California.

On that note I shall depart this wise forum and prepare for a busy week upcoming. Good evening to all and happy travels with or without the covers!