Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Second Cars...

Bluebell bus gets used all of the time for all sorts of activities including school runs however I often use Mrs B's motorcar if I she's not looking.

image.jpeg

I also have several other lovely motors to exercise but the glass has to be set fair before they see the light of day don't you know, what!

Paulro.. I would take the z4 coupe very cool car and getting quite rare now ..I had a silver z3 m coupe in 1999 which I loved , just wish I still had it .

Paulro.. I would take the z4 coupe very cool car and getting quite rare now ..I had a silver z3 m coupe in 1999 which I loved , just wish I still had it .
I bet you do wish you had it. The clown shoe prices have gone mad!
The cars are both nice, quite different, the z3 being a 3L auto and the coupe manual.
I’m getting old in the tooth, I prefer the auto....

I had the z3m roadster in estoril with a few chassis mods. It was a riot.

Can I ask if you have a second car? I’m a mummy of 2 under 4 and use our Cali every day...Nursery runs each day, nipping to the shops, trips to the petting/play farm etc, etc, in addition to our camping adventures. We absolutely love our Cali and I want to look after it / hold it’s value and I’ve wondering if a second car is a good idea to do the around town stuff. I was interested in what other people do if you wouldn’t mind sharing...

Mine is my sole vehicle. I take the view that I paid a lot of money for it, life is short & that I should make every opportunity to get the most out of it. I look after it, and am probably a little bit too precious about keeping it tidy, but my main job is to enjoy it rather than preserving it as an immaculate used example for it's second owner.

There was a long-running thread last year about someone considering a second car for their commute with no real consensus reached as it's so subjective, but my personal gut-feel (with no science whatsoever) is that you'd surely be unlikely to be be able to tax / insure / fuel / maintain a second car for less than the increased wear & tear on your California will cost.

- that's assuming that there *is* any increase in depreciation for using it more often, which is not necessarily a given

- any second car 'at that low a budget' will likely be 'a lesser driving experience' than a California

- condition & maintenance (eg: where & how you park it, how much kids trash the interior etc) and the original options on the Cali will likely be more relevant at resale time than a minor increase in mileage. they're based on commercial vehicles and are designed to be used & stand up to big mileages, even if some owners are squeamish about it.

Get a "classic" car. Over 40 years old, no road tax and now even no MOT so my MGB GT costs me £100 for insurance a year to run. Easy to mend and parts are cheap and easuly obtainable.:)
My cheap Historic car's insurance has the negative of 1,500 miles per annum useage limit.
It is the 3rd car though.

What about third and fourth cars?

I have always wanted a Suzuki 'kettle'! If only I had room in my garage next to the Tiger 800 and all the Cali gear and off-road gear.
I also have a 1997 Defender that i have had for 17 years and has seen off-road action, been used as my commuting vehicle and is the vehicle I use for driving into the city and taking the dog out. It needs a body refurb and general fettling which could cost me loads, but I would keep it for another 17 years. For 3 years now I have been contemplating selling it and using my Cali for everything (except off-roading)! I just can't bring myself to sell it, even though I know it would make economic sense; head v heart.

Last edited:
Seems to be a genre going here.

4.4V8 ...… so smooth, so comfortable.

I wanted a 90 V8 but a tad pricy for a "fourth" car. Its only this clean as I had changed the condenser and had LR regas the air con. (A wash is all part of the service)

IMG_20180806_202809 (002).jpg

Some of my toys. Actually the porsche went on Monday to make space for the Cali but it hurt. Also have a BMW X3 as my daily which was meant to replace the Shogun, like the Defender 90 owners I struggle to let it go.

IMG_2113.JPG
My road bike
IMG_1832.JPG
The classic
IMG_0176.JPG

Shogun and my KTM. My son in case your wondering !

IMG_1786.JPG

Well. To follow on from my original post......we did go ahead and buy a second car for me and the kids to use and.........I sold it again within 2 months!! It seemed so wasteful having the Cali just sat on the drive most of the time even though the run around did save us 30mpg. Anyway, lesson learned (expensively) and I’m back enjoying the Cali daily. Thanks for all of your comments, even if it did go off on a slight tangent!! :)

Tiguan being traded in for a MX5 RF tomorrow, lady wife loves them, Cali for everything else.