Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Second Cars...

Well. To follow on from my original post......we did go ahead and buy a second car for me and the kids to use and.........I sold it again within 2 months!! It seemed so wasteful having the Cali just sat on the drive most of the time even though the run around did save us 30mpg. Anyway, lesson learned (expensively) and I’m back enjoying the Cali daily. Thanks for all of your comments, even if it did go off on a slight tangent!! :)
Can’t resist saying Told you so! :)

The important bit is the choice of second car - go for something that compliments the california & it makes a good pairing.

I prefer something, small fast & open top with 2 seats. I can then keep the cali as the sensible transport .

I don't see the point in a smaller ordinary car just to keep the miles off the cali.

The important bit is the choice of second car - go for something that compliments the california & it makes a good pairing.

I prefer something, small fast & open top with 2 seats. I can then keep the cali as the sensible transport .

I don't see the point in a smaller ordinary car just to keep the miles off the cali.
I like that.
Having a seven seat Beach I recently found a lovely nearly new, two seat, sporty little number to use as our second car. My thinking being, sensible vehicle for general family work and camping etc and a fun vehicle for Mrs B and I to use at other times. Unfortunately management poo pooed it and told me to look for an estate car. :( We now have a Skoda Superb estate. Lovely car but not quite what I had in mind.:sorry

Our other car is an eGolf. If you need one and your circumstances fit I think any electric car is the perfect partner to a Cali.

I like that.
Having a seven seat Beach I recently found a lovely nearly new, two seat, sporty little number to use as our second car. My thinking being, sensible vehicle for general family work and camping etc and a fun vehicle for Mrs B and I to use at other times. Unfortunately management poo pooed it and told me to look for an estate car. :( We now have a Skoda Superb estate. Lovely car but not quite what I had in mind.:sorry

Why when you've got one of the most versatile Van's on the market, did you need a huge Superb Estate?

They are lovely though!!

Why when you've got one of the most versatile Van's on the market, did you need a huge Superb Estate?

They are lovely though!!
In my view we didn't. However Mrs Borris felt otherwise. Her last car was a Skoda Superb saloon. Besides I think the tiny boot on the TT convertible that I wanted put her off. It would have severely curtailed her purchasing scope. I have to confess that the TT appealed to me for the very same reason.

I agree, something like this? But then you need another car you’re not afraid to park outside the local Aldi! :D
28165FC7-6EF2-44CD-84A7-2D4B71FDAF33.jpeg

1994 Porsche 968 CS - I've been on the edge of selling it a few times recently....I'm sorely tempted to trade it for a 911 of some description. o_O

View attachment 37115

I sold my 93 plate Porsche 968 15 1/2 years ago when our 3rd child was born. The only time I have cried when selling a car.

My last 2 911s were coupes, prior to that I had 2 targas and before that a convertible. I got an urge for a convertible so sold the latest Porsche at a substantial profit & decided on a complete change.

I tried a new Lotus Elise but did my back in getting in & out & got totally fed up with putting the roof on & off , so after a year sold for a £250 loss ( makes the depreciation on a California look horrendous)

The only 911 I want is a new shape Targa but they are sadly well out of reach. A boxster to me would always feel second best & I don't like the cut down instrument panel.

My search for fast 2 seat convertible ended with a Mercedes AMG SLC43 - same 385bhp as my last Porsche, faster in a straight line but slower in the corners. Sounds Epic in sports mode, & hope the huge discount I got makes the depreciation more acceptable.

IMG_0029.jpg

My last 2 911s were coupes, prior to that I had 2 targas and before that a convertible. I got an urge for a convertible so sold the latest Porsche at a substantial profit & decided on a complete change.

I tried a new Lotus Elise but did my back in getting in & out & got totally fed up with putting the roof on & off , so after a year sold for a £250 loss ( makes the depreciation on a California look horrendous)

The only 911 I want is a new shape Targa but they are sadly well out of reach. A boxster to me would always feel second best & I don't like the cut down instrument panel.

My search for fast 2 seat convertible ended with a Mercedes AMG SLC43 - same 385bhp as my last Porsche, faster in a straight line but slower in the corners. Sounds Epic in sports mode, & hope the huge discount I got makes the depreciation more acceptable.

View attachment 39070
Recently showed an interest in an in laws Mercedes SL500, took me for a spin on a suburban dual carriageway at 11 am on a Saturday morning, out of his mind of course and I stopped looking when the speedo showed 160 + mph, as you say epic sound!

Gotta be honest I tried just using the Cali after my ‘daily’ bmw blew its engine but I felt it took the fun out of our leisure time and touring whilst in the van. We both get a buzz about being in the Cali as soon as we got in it - that isn’t the same if you use it for your daily commute. Just me perhaps, but I want to keep it as our special vehicle and one associated with fun, relaxation and a sense of adventure. So my other car is a nice little Audi A3 TFSI.

4949A0DE-573F-4A94-9EF7-C55F4FC0477A.jpeg

Agree, but only once the kids have flown. Picked up this for Bev at the weekend, perfect complement to the Cali (when it arrives) and a huge boot too:

View attachment 39070

I had an slk amg 55 with bilstein b6 and quaife lsd - transfomed it. Enjoyed for a few years but the auto box did for me in the end. Your about to balance out on depreciation vs the cali, porsche ,lotus. Big AMG,s depreciate like I have never seen.
Try a Boxster 981 spyder, just sold mine and the greatest car I have ever owned or driven including the ferraris and 911,s. Well excepting the 246 Dino maybe.
IMGP3512.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like there’s a :cool: behind the wheel of every Cali! :D