Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rejigging cars

Karlos

Karlos

VIP Member
Vehicle
Just browsing
Diesel all the way for me I drive 30k+ and my wife drives 20k+ we keep our cars for 10 years and our Cali is for pleasure. Currently driving a Citroen DS which does 65-70 miles to the gallon on a run and my wife's Audi 50+ depending if she has the roof down. Unfortunately electric doesn't offer us the range we need, but if it works for you good luck.

stephen watson

stephen watson

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Have all of you EV owners factored in depreciation when comparing to your Calis?
I did Borris. As I said in my post if it had been a financial decision I wouldn't have bought an EV. I expected my eGolf to plummet like a stone, but in fact residuals aren't too bad at the moment. Having said that once the ID arrives I'm sure it will. Usually I keep my vehicles for 10 years plus, so it's not really an issue. With EVs though the ID will have a much better range, so may be tempted. The price of being green or an early adopter unfortunately.

H

Haves1979

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Bit of a an update on this. We've gone for a lease option on a new Renault Zoe, costs work out well and looks really smart in GT Line spec - suggested 250 range.

Elise sold more or less immediately, so just need to shift the Westy and hoping to be in the market for a T5 SE soon. T5.1 prices seem solid, lots around 30-33k, interested to know if they are selling at the top end of that scale. Hoping as a cash buyer will give me a little room for manoever.. !

Cheers

Trevor Brown

Trevor Brown

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I have a BMW i3 REX and a Cali.
My i3 is 2015, so pretty meagre range - winter perhaps 60-65, summer maybe 10 miles better.
I wouldn't consider anything other than a REX in the i3 if I am being honest - it removes all range anxiety, and I have found the network of available and working chargers to be abysmal.
I have read a few reviews of the Kia e-Nero and the Hyundai e-Kona, and they seem to be pretty impressive in relation to spec, range and performance.

soulstyledevon

soulstyledevon

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
@Haves1979 We have similar dilemma with cars.
Have the Cali which is our daily and a 2012 Porsche Cayman as our second fun/car.
We bought the Porky in 2014 before having a child, and with it only having two seats its hardly used. 5000 miles a year, against 14 000 roughly on the Cali.
The difficulty is letting it go, especially with everything going electric. It might be something we regret. Ive tried loads of other cars, but nothing is satisfying my Petrolhead needs.

Thought about a third car, but would we still be in a position where the little Porky doesn't really get used. Im not a fan of vehicles sitting around.
Would rather drive them, otherwise what's the point in owning these things...?

O

oliver100

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
We have just ordered a California (its replacing my f57 mini) and we also have my wife’s 2019 polo and I have a classic 911 (993) which I have owned for the last ten years.

I seriously considered selling the 993 to purchase the Cali outright as I don’t use it as much since having kids but I just couldn’t bring myself to do it, it didn’t help that my eldest (five) broke down in tears when I said we might sell it and suggested just buying a tent if it meant the racing car had to go . At least it has 4 seats so is kind of practical!

soulstyledevon

soulstyledevon

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
We have just ordered a California (its replacing my f57 mini) and we also have my wife’s 2019 polo and I have a classic 911 (993) which I have owned for the last ten years.

I seriously considered selling the 993 to purchase the Cali outright as I don’t use it as much since having kids but I just couldn’t bring myself to do it, it didn’t help that my eldest (five) broke down in tears when I said we might sell it and suggested just buying a tent if it meant the racing car had to go . At least it has 4 seats so is kind of practical!

Don’t sell the 993...
You would definitely regret that.

That’s another option for us, looking at 991.2.
People say there’s room in the back for small ones.
Although they said the same about the 997, we looked.
It really didn’t ;)

O

oliver100

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Depends on the age of the kids as it’s actually easier when they get out of childseats but that said I have had a baby seat in the back of the 993 (Concorde ultimax) along with a booster seat (maxi cosi rodi xp) and a pram in the frunk without too many complaints. It’s deffo a squeeze but fine for days out. A 991 would be like an estate car in the back in comparison to a 993 I would guess, so should be fine!

My eldest loves it and has already tried to get first dibs on the car when I kick it! :D

8B3698A4-8ADA-4CA0-B0FD-066877A3374E.jpeg

SailSki

SailSki

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I had a 997.2 for about 15 months a few years ago - I’m 6’7” and found that it worked fine as a 3 seater and my daughters fitted absolutely fine up to about 5’8 each one behind the other (snugly) with the passenger seat slid forward a fair bit.
However with my height fitting 4 adults in was done a few times but definitely not to be recommended....
Was the grey one on the left. Lovely machine and will be remembered for a long time

EE24E24B-7379-44D5-91F5-627583F3E66F.jpeg

soulstyledevon

soulstyledevon

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
My practical head says RS4 avant. The latest one is very good.

Loved Volkswagens of old, Vans, Beetles & Golfs etc. Like most progressed through some, but longed for Porsche cars with the exception of the SUV stuff
Just not my cup of tea...

soulstyledevon

soulstyledevon

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I know from past posts over the years on the forum.
There are a lot of owners here with California’s and Porsche’s or California’s & Caterhams...
Great people ;)

H

Haves1979

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Funny, I had a 964 prior to the lotus. Owned it for about 5 years. I do miss it from time to time as we had some great fun in it (driving to le mans etc) but it got driven so little it was a waste.
This is the first time I've been without a toy car, so not sure how long its going to last..

IMG_2547.JPG

O

oliver100

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Love the 964, I originally set out to buy one and ended up with the 993 as many of the 964’s I looked at needed too much work as people didn’t understand they were utterly brilliant back then and neglected them! Ironically I had several vx220’s and an exige before the 911, so know what you mean about liking to have a toy car around! As little as I use the 993 I just can’t bring myself to sell it, older 911’s are just so damm pretty!

B2762BD7-692C-4E0B-BCAB-47B0D9ABBC67.jpeg

02684C99-B12B-4F78-B287-35308218294A.jpeg

H

Haves1979

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Lovely looking car. I toyed with a 993 when I bought mine - the heady days when you could pick up a classic 911 for sensible money!

soulstyledevon

soulstyledevon

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Lovely looking car. I toyed with a 993 when I bought mine - the heady days when you could pick up a classic 911 for sensible money!

It’s bonkers a standard Carrera these days is north of £100k...
Plus, it’s too bloated compared to the older stuff. Actually prefer the modern Cayman. It’s similar in size to Porsche’s of old.

H

Haves1979

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
T4 Westy has now gone to a new home in France and Elise went earlier this year.. so finally in a position to buy and Cali prices seem to have gone up a load, or at least asking prices have due to covid I assume..

May end up waiting up until winter or new year, or possibly looking at conversions. If anyone has an early T5.1 140 manual they dont want the earth for give me a shout!

Karlos

Karlos

VIP Member
Vehicle
Just browsing
T4 Westy has now gone to a new home in France and Elise went earlier this year.. so finally in a position to buy and Cali prices seem to have gone up a load, or at least asking prices have due to covid I assume..

May end up waiting up until winter or new year, or possibly looking at conversions. If anyone has an early T5.1 140 manual they dont want the earth for give me a shout!
Yes it's a sellers market at the moment.

Velma's Dad

Velma's Dad

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Bought a winter run-around to abuse.
Will stop the Cali getting trashed by mud and dogs.

Toyota Yaris 1.4 d
£30 Tax
£90 insurance
70mpg
OTR price... £720

It’s sh!t
Love it already.
View attachment 65788

We had one of those as a run-around. The kids learnt to drive in it. The au-pair drove it into a tree. It got abused for ten years but never broke down. What's not to like!

VW California Club