Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Securing bike to bike rack

J

Jennydddd

VIP Member
This is probably A really silly question! We have just purchased a VW bike rack and tried it out today with 1 bike. How do you lock the bike to the rack? Does it have to be in the third slot as that is the only arm with a lock? And then where do you put a 2nd bike to lock it? Thanks!

Hi

I have just collected our new beach last week & not used the bike rack yet,but like you i am assuming that the only bike on the rack that will be locked is the third bike.

maybe you then lock the other bikes to that one :?:

I am still not sure how you can lock additional bikes. Only one of our handle things has a lock on it. Do I therefore need to use a normal bike lock to lock the additional bikes?

I use a cable lick as well as the locking clamp. You need to use the locking clamp on the last bike you put on the rack so it prevents removal of others.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Andy said:
I use a cable lick as well as the locking clamp. You need to use the locking clamp on the last bike you put on the rack so it prevents removal of others.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Yes indeed... I do exactly the same as Andy.

Move the locking handwheel to the last bike on the rack (usually the third with ours) and then additionally use a long cable lock that goes through all the frames and around the top bar of the rack.

Rgds
M

Hi all I worked out the locking last bike bit but picking up mates and adding bikes as you go entails moving the locking hand wheel every time. Great bit of gear really impressed. But where can I get extra locking hand wheels.

raynormor said:
Hi all I worked out the locking last bike bit but picking up mates and adding bikes as you go entails moving the locking hand wheel every time. Great bit of gear really impressed. But where can I get extra locking hand wheels.

Have you tried talking to Steve in parts at SMG ?

Thanks Andy. Steve are you out there? I'll email tomorrow. How secure I wonder are the locks. Lots of money involved. By the way do you know if the rack can be removed without opening the door. Don't want to loose it now I've bought it, does look as if it can. I remember a thread recently offering a mix of bolt heads to aid security. Cheers ray.

raynormor said:
Thanks Andy. Steve are you out there? I'll email tomorrow. How secure I wonder are the locks. Lots of money involved. By the way do you know if the rack can be removed without opening the door. Don't want to loose it now I've bought it, does look as if it can. I remember a thread recently offering a mix of bolt heads to aid security. Cheers ray.

You should be able to get security bolts that fit. ie bolts that have a head that shears off when tight, leaving a small head with no key socket in place to hold it tight.

As previously said is best to also lock bike on with a rope lock.

Back