Best VW California Dedicated Forum by Miles :)

1. NEXT CLUB MEETS
    Afternoon Meet ( Now with camping available) - 30th March Details Here
    Gloucester Meet - may 17-19 Details Here

Dismiss Notice

Securing T6 Bike Rack ??

Discussion in 'Bike Racks' started by Canary Bird, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Amarillo

Amarillo Tom Top Poster VIP Member

Vehicle:
    T6 Beach 150
    Year:
    Small D locks are more secure as there's less purchase. No need to go around the downtube either; lock the rear wheel somewhere within the rear triangle and the rear wheel cannot be removed from the frame without cutting through the wheel which would not be easy, especially if the bike is on a rack.
    [​IMG]
    Two rear wheels locked to each other, through the rear triangle similar to the above, will secure both rear wheels and both frames to each other, as well as both rear wheels to both frames. Front wheels, saddles, etc., can be removed or secured separately, and of course, one or more frames secured to the rack.

2. Steve Murphy

Steve Murphy

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    Please Select
    Year:
    i have replaced the origional bolts that connect the fittings to the tube with shear head bolts, there should be no reason to dismantle the bike rack and i replaced the fitting bolts with M8 coach bolts and square hole washers and fitted Thule lockers!

3. Moose

Moose T6 Ocean 204 DSG VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204
    Year:
    I had the T6 bike rack fitted and on the 2nd weekend it was left on my drive whilst away some tried to undo the thumb screws which hold the wheel tracks in place but my neighbour disturbed him and he run off.
    My dealer Beadles ( Dartford ) agreed to take the rack back with a full refund.
    I now have the T5 style rack fitted which I purchased via a well known VW California rental company in south London its been adapted to fit the T6 by VW.
    No issues so far so very happy.

4. mkbutters

mkbutters

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 102
    Year:
    Hi Steve... WOuld you have a picture of exactly what you did to yours plusesizes of the M8 bolts (I'm not very technical) !

5. Aubisque

Aubisque VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 150
    As an aside and has been noted, the T6 (Quasimodo) rack does stick out a lot further than the T5 rack (Kylie), so if garage length is an issue the T5 design for T6 is the one to go for. It should still be available from VW off the shelf and not require modification.

6. Alan Andrews

Alan Andrews VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 150
    Year:
    Before I bought my vw rack, I was equally concerned about security of the rack plus bikes attached. I use a SoldSecure chain and Padlock.

But I have been told that there have been thefts whereby the complete rack plus bikes attached is simply cut off with a battery powered saw/grinder, and the rack/bikes being lifted away and placed in the back of the crims van or pickup.

All done within a couple of minutes!!

There is little that can be done to prevent/hinder this type of blatant theft!