Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Service Interval Observation.

Does anyone know when the fuel filter is replaced? Just had second service done at 27,500 miles and just under three years old. First service, with original owner, was done at 17k in June 17 when van was 16 months old. Looking at the service book the exact same boxes have been ticked as to what has been done, or not done, for both services. Have I had two 'minor' services and is this correct?

Last edited:
I had my second service yesterday, 3 1/2 yes old, 18,000 miles and they did fuel filter, pollen filter and air filter, as well as oil and oil filter, and brake fluid...that was all part of a fixed price major service, ...it was priced on the VW website

When I booked it in it the mfd said oil service was due and inspection service was due in 120 days. I naively assumed the oil service was just a minor service and inspection service was a major one. I was called by the service advisor t oaks if i wanted brake fluid and poles filter changing. I said as it was in for an inspection service, which I thought was a major service, in 120 days I'd get them done then. The service advisor seemed quite happy with this.

When I eventually got called to say my van was ready I asked how much and it was about £300. I queried this as I thought it was a lot for an oil service but was told there was a minor oil service and a major oil service. The van required the latter. I did some googling and it seemed that was the case; small service, big service, small service... Details on the vw site seemed to suggest fuel filter would be changed.

Picked van up today, paid the bill, no problem. On getting into it I checked that service book had been stamped and had a quick look at what had been done. Was surprised that exact same boxes had been ticked as first service. Went back in and queried this. Much confusion ensued but was eventually told only oil filter had been changed. I queried the cost and got £86 refunded! Now I'm confused as to what should have been done. Or if anything was missed. Service advisor told me fuel filter wasn't due to be replaced until 40k miles.

To be honest the service form the dealer has been very, very poor. Was warned but others that this was the case but no real choice as van was under warranty. Also, had bought my first cali from same garage a few years back and had never had any issues.

When I booked it in it the mfd said oil service was due and inspection service was due in 120 days. I naively assumed the oil service was just a minor service and inspection service was a major one. I was called by the service advisor t oaks if i wanted brake fluid and poles filter changing. I said as it was in for an inspection service, which I thought was a major service, in 120 days I'd get them done then. The service advisor seemed quite happy with this.

When I eventually got called to say my van was ready I asked how much and it was about £300. I queried this as I thought it was a lot for an oil service but was told there was a minor oil service and a major oil service. The van required the latter. I did some googling and it seemed that was the case; small service, big service, small service... Details on the vw site seemed to suggest fuel filter would be changed.

Picked van up today, paid the bill, no problem. On getting into it I checked that service book had been stamped and had a quick look at what had been done. Was surprised that exact same boxes had been ticked as first service. Went back in and queried this. Much confusion ensued but was eventually told only oil filter had been changed. I queried the cost and got £86 refunded! Now I'm confused as to what should have been done. Or if anything was missed. Service advisor told me fuel filter wasn't due to be replaced until 40k miles.

To be honest the service form the dealer has been very, very poor. Was warned but others that this was the case but no real choice as van was under warranty. Also, had bought my first cali from same garage a few years back and had never had any issues.

They don’t make those mistakes when you buy the first four services package.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

2D57CAE2-CC24-46B2-8383-019FBB44DAD2.png
I went in because my display said oil due, and 6 months to inspection, (18 months since last oil)
But as fixed price for major inspection includes oil, I decided to get it all done
When it was in, they asked if I wanted pollen filter as it was due, and they wanted another £50....I said it was all in, ...they said others had said that, and I showed them the VW advert( that is for the car, but the van one is the same)... and they did it , all in the same price.

Mine was with Carr’s in Exeter...I see you are in Torbay.
He also said there was a recall on the roof, to add some tape.....but they didn’t have the tape!
Luckily mine seems to be free of corrosion , unless it is under the rubber

Yep Carr’s of Exeter, found it to be a shambles to be honest. Still no wiser as to what was done and what should have been done. Service advisor said filters were done as required and fuel filter not due until van has done 40k. I was expecting them to do similar,at to what you have posted above for major service. Van also came out as filthy as it went in.

Oh, and I asked about any recalls. Was told there were none. Asked him to check again and apparently my van has corrosion and is logged with VW to be repaired.

Mines is long life but this just makes the service intervals dependent on how vehicle is used. I’d then have thought that what was standard on a service was fixed depending on minor or major.

That is worryingly inconsistent of Carr’s ...they did the fuel filter without being asked( at 18,000)
Did they not give you a sales invoice , with the work detailed
Though they gave me an invoice for £122.88 less than they charged me
When I went back they said they had missed off one of the labour costs!!
Yep....a shambles

Mine is on long life service.
That is the default I think, unless you ask
....in my Audi I can change between the two via thé MFD!

I’ve no problem with it being long life and the fact it triggers service due at variable mileages. What my problem is that I don’t know what type of service is triggered and what that service includes or doesn’t include.

That is worryingly inconsistent of Carr’s ...they did the fuel filter without being asked( at 18,000)
Did they not give you a sales invoice , with the work detailed
Though they gave me an invoice for £122.88 less than they charged me
When I went back they said they had missed off one of the labour costs!!
Yep....a shambles

They gave me an invoice saying 2nd long life service and mot. Came to about £355. Only filter listed was oil filter. It was only when I got back to van and saw that checkboxes ticked in service book were exactly same as first service that I went back in and questioned it. Initially they said extra cost was for a pollen filter. Told them that was nonsense as I’d said I would have that done in 3 months as I thought an inspection service was due then. All of a sudden £86 gets taken off the bill.

I’ve no problem with it being long life and the fact it triggers service due at variable mileages. What my problem is that I don’t know what type of service is triggered and what that service includes or doesn’t include.

Could you ring another dealer and ask them to explain and email the details over (it will be on vw headed paper), that will establish what another dealer thinks is correct, then if you still have an issue with the dealer that carried out the works approach the service manager with your concerns.

I agree it seems irregular at best

Request a service record print out from any dealer, that should detail the work done at any dealer!

Would VW be able to tell me? This isn’t rocket science, it’s bread and butter to a garage, but not apparently in my experience today.

Request a service record print out from any dealer, that should detail the work done at any dealer!

Dealer couldn’t tell me the day what had been done. In their workshop. Over the previous couple of days.

Please post back your findings.

Remembering to let the dealer know that you have raised this issue in this forum and you will report back the outcome.

They may simply admit there was an “error” on there part !

Your service record should be fully available to all dealers and should include all works carried out. When VW did away with the service book they introduced the electronic service record.

If you are not happy, have a chat with the service manager, if still not happy mention that you will approach trading standards and VWUK for further clarification

Will do. I’d like to get to the bottom of this as I’m not convince my van has been serviced in accordance with the service schedule. Although I’ve no idea what service schedule is it’s not normal to have two consecutive minor services and potentially no major until vehicle is almost 5 years old.

For a dealer to have charged you for work that they cannot substantiate would be fraud

Will try getting hold of service manager tomorrow. Don’t even know if Carr’s have one from what I’ve experienced over last week?

Back