Service Interval Observation.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Interesting observation. I had my 1st Service at 20,000 miles and exactly 12months after purchase.

Following the service , after about 300 miles, the Service Information on the MFD showed 19,600 miles to next Oil Change and 663 Days.

I've now covered 8,000 miles since that service, in 15 weeks, mostly long motorway trips 300/350 miles round trips at motorway speeds.

Today, the MFD Service Information shows 18,670 miles to next Oil Change and 636 days.

What does this show? Well I think it shows that Oil Contamination is reduced if you run the engine at the correct temperature and reasonable speed and distance rather than short trips at variable speed.

Oil consumption, now that it is almost run in, is 500 mls/ 8000 miles ( 12,800 kms).

The next service will be at 40,000 miles or 24 months ( from purchase ) whichever comes first.

Is it normal to follow these intervals?

Coming from a car which prefers to have it's oil changed every 5k miles I'm a bit wary of a 20k interval but perhaps I should accept that VW know best! However I'm a bit cynical that it's just to appeal to fleet managers!

Is it normal to follow these intervals?

Coming from a car which prefers to have it's oil changed every 5k miles I'm a bit wary of a 20k interval but perhaps I should accept that VW know best! However I'm a bit cynical that it's just to appeal to fleet managers!
Upto you. The Service Information regarding the Oil Change is based on a sensor that measures the impedance of the oil which is related to the degree of contamination and the effectiveness of the oil.
Many, many T5's run on this regime and have very high Milages.

Absolutely. I'm just interested to know what others do

I have an indicator on my dashboard that tells me my oil status,

A bright red light, a bit like my eyes in the mornings sometimes.

Absolutely. I'm just interested to know what others do
I think the bigger problem is low milage vehicles, that never get to 20,000 miles within 2 years.

I think the bigger problem is low milage vehicles, that never get to 20,000 miles within 2 years
Not a problem. Mine is low mileage and gets serviced every two years or approx 9000 miles.

No chance.
All my vehicles are serviced every year or 12 000 miles which ever comes sooner. Oil changes are a cheap preventive measure which bests protect the engine. Would never base my servicing regime on what some sensor tells me:talktothehand

I'd follow the directions of the people who are honouring the warranty.

What about when the 3 year ( or 5 if extended) warranty runs out ?
An issue after that point, if the cause could be directly related to the frequency of servicing, and you had adhered to the terms of the manufacturer's guidelines, would be an interesting argument.

BMW have done repairs for us out of warranty, because they had to concede that it was an issue that simply should not have occurred because we stuck to the maintenance guidelines, but I suspect that was as much about good will and encouraging repeat business as anything else. VW commercial does not especially strike me as being that way inclined!

Admittedly, from a selfish point of view, I am unlike to keep my Cali past the 5 year warranty so less of a concern for me. Maybe I'd think differently if I was planning otherwise.

Last edited:
True about VW and goodwill not being in their vocabulary!

Every 10,000 miles, no matter what the service indicator tells me, the oil & filter gets changed in my cars without fail. Planning on doing the same with the Cali, but that's just my preference. Whatever works for individuals, as long as it's not less than VW's guidelines I suppose.

I read somewhere that the more frequent you heat-up / cool down the oil within a given mileage (more short runs) the quicker it looses its lubricating properties.

Every 10,000 miles, no matter what the service indicator tells me, the oil & filter gets changed in my cars without fail. Planning on doing the same with the Cali, but that's just my preference. Whatever works for individuals, as long as it's not less than VW's guidelines I suppose.

I read somewhere that the more frequent you heat-up / cool down the oil within a given mileage (more short runs) the quicker it looses its lubricating properties.
So High Milage, long trips much better than Low Milage short trips.

Oil stored in an airtight sealed container retains it's properties. That is NOT the case with Oil in an engine sump.

No chance.
All my vehicles are serviced every year or 12 000 miles which ever comes sooner. Oil changes are a cheap preventive measure which bests protect the engine. Would never base my servicing regime on what some sensor tells me:talktothehand
Why 12,000 miles or 12 months. What is the evidence? Why not 5,000 miles and 5 months.?Or after every trip?
Evidence based decisions are the modern mantra, so where is the evidence that more frequent oil changes aid longevity?
There is none that I can find. Modern engines are totally different to those of years past as are the lubricating oils used. As long as you abide by the Manufacturers Service Schedules, but a big concern I have is that those schedules are based on high milage commercial usage. Many California's are not daily drivers and stand idle for weeks if not months at a time. What chemical changes are taking place in the oils and other fluids used.
On the T6 it uses AdBlue. How does that change over time. Is there a use by date for it? Once again the system has been tested on commercial vehicles and daily driver cars, not a California covering 5,000 miles in 12 months and laid up for 8 months of the year.:thumb

http://www.greenoxsolution.co.uk/AdBlue®/Handling.aspx#

No chance.
I can see why you want to change the oil at 12k, I'm of similar thinking with my 10k, so I'm with you on that. However, it is just in fact, personal preference. Makes me feel better, so money well spent ;)

On the assumption that the service indicator/sensors are working perfectly - if it's good enough for VW & good enough to keep your warranty going, then I think it's perfectly fine & acceptable to adhere to & expect your engine to remain trouble free. They've surely done their sums. WG is correct - modern oils have come on leaps & bounds. The idea of changing the oil more frequently (for me) is a throw back to the 90's. I was encouraged to change my oil more regularly back then. Old habits die hard! :thumb

I used to work for British Leyland and had company cars.

I knew I was low on oil when it stopped dripping all over the drive :sad

Why 12,000 miles or 12 months. What is the evidence? Why not 5,000 miles and 5 months.?Or after every trip?
Evidence based decisions are the modern mantra, so where is the evidence that more frequent oil changes aid longevity?
There is none that I can find. Modern engines are totally different to those of years past as are the lubricating oils used. As long as you abide by the Manufacturers Service Schedules, but a big concern I have is that those schedules are based on high milage commercial usage. Many California's are not daily drivers and stand idle for weeks if not months at a time. What chemical changes are taking place in the oils and other fluids used.
On the T6 it uses AdBlue. How does that change over time. Is there a use by date for it? Once again the system has been tested on commercial vehicles and daily driver cars, not a California covering 5,000 miles in 12 months and laid up for 8 months of the year.:thumb

http://www.greenoxsolution.co.uk/AdBlue®/Handling.aspx#

I so agree here, i would never buy another cali that does only 5k a year, corrosion, tyres, condensation in engine, etc.

John

Interesting observation. I had my 1st Service at 20,000 miles and exactly 12months after purchase.

Following the service , after about 300 miles, the Service Information on the MFD showed 19,600 miles to next Oil Change and 663 Days.

I've now covered 8,000 miles since that service, in 15 weeks, mostly long motorway trips 300/350 miles round trips at motorway speeds.

Today, the MFD Service Information shows 18,670 miles to next Oil Change and 636 days.

What does this show? Well I think it shows that Oil Contamination is reduced if you run the engine at the correct temperature and reasonable speed and distance rather than short trips at variable speed.

Oil consumption, now that it is almost run in, is 500 mls/ 8000 miles ( 12,800 kms).

The next service will be at 40,000 miles or 24 months ( from purchase ) whichever comes first.

It's amazing to consider in my lifetime how recommendations for automobile maintenance has changed, any one remember grease guns and grease nipples ... 6000 mile or six month greasing, engine oil and filter changes. Now components come sealed and lubricated for life, synthetic oils have appeared on the scene, filter materials have gone 'synthetic' too. We are told by the manufacturers of synthetic oils that they have a longer service life, (ESP), and their additives can better cope with build up of byproducts of combustion, combustion acids and combustion blow past particles, plus metallic wear particles.
There's no doubt that number of hours running time and work cycles and engine loading vary greatly on a road going vehicle compared to stationary internal combustion engines.
I guess this forum discussion revolves around how reliable over their ownership period, owners want their VW Van diesel engines and related ancillary turbo and emission components to be. Short ownership periods before trade in, suit many owners and main dealer extended warranty based servicing suits the trade, and certainly suits VW profitability. Long term ownership may benefit from more coveted owner based servicing regimes.
My own VW T5.1 bought as 'last new vehicle I will buy', benefits from my motor trade background and a healthy dollop of Molyslip in transmission components, so it is cosseted and owner serviced, has not seen a garage since purchase beyond annual MOT tests, and has been 100% reliable out of the box. All credit to Hannover. My own oil and filter change regime is Castrol Edge or Mobil 1 ESP, oil is changed annually, the oil filter however gets a 6 month change, cos, I don't know how effective the somewhat small 'high efficiency' oil filter remains before becoming blocked, over an extended service period. Time will tell.
To all who have their vehicles garage serviced whether you have it serviced a lot or serviced a little, the motor trade eventually benefits ...

Rob H.

Couldn't agree more Rob, can't remember which lubricant advertising had the slogan "the man who paid £30.00 for a gallon of oil, will now have his head examined". That product, long life, fully synthetic, engine oil, really was "liquid engineering". Ten years ago I worked in aftersales management for Audi at the, then, largest Audi centre in the world. I was taken aback by the interest shown by oil recycling companies clambouring to buy our used fully synthetic oils, it was that good a product even after 10 - 15k miles in an engine. Point I'm making is that, IMHO, lubricants have been the greatest single advancement/improvement over the last 30 years. When I started my apprenticeship, 44 years ago, it was the norm to be completing full engine overhauls at the 80 - 90k miles stage, with top overhauls happening at the 25 - 30k miles stage. Whether your vehicle is on fixed, 12k 12 months, service regime or variable service, when the driver's info system tells you to, regime; have it done by competent motor engineers using materials and parts of the requisite quality and your vehicle (and pocket) will benefit in the long run. Best.

Wullie

I so agree here, i would never buy another cali that does only 5k a year, corrosion, tyres, condensation in engine, etc.

John
I guess you won't be interested in buying ours when the time comes then?
Ours only does 3000 miles a year!
I'm fairy confident though that when the time comes to sell it the very low mileage will attract buyers not put them off

Sent from my Galaxy S6

I keep thinking of a Scania long life service at <120,000km. As such I'm pretty sure oil in my engine is going to be good for 15 to 20k.

My Father is old school. Buys his oil in 20 litres drums and changes every 6000km.

I guess you won't be interested in buying ours when the time comes then?
Ours only does 3000 miles a year!
I'm fairy confident though that when the time comes to sell it the very low mileage will attract buyers not put them off

Sent from my Galaxy S6
Too True. Have always avoided underused vehicles. I work on the premise of " Use it or Lose it ".

I'm sure you will get plenty of interest.

I think that is good advice. Just sold as virtual scrap a Seat Arosa with only 49K on the clock not so long after purchase. A very long list of small underuse type faults kept developing which would have cost a mint to fix - better to take the hit: and use the Cali more! It's easier to park than other people think.

And back to the subject - FWIW my Cali now has about 8500K after its first year. Minded to get the oil changed because it is one year on but more because it is such an inky black colour. It went to this deep black very on, indeed maybe it was ever thus, much more than other vehicles I've had over the last 40 (gulp) years. Is this typical? The garage wasn't too phased so neither am I, but I'd be interested to know others' experience. Perhaps I just need to get used to a new normal, or perhaps this oil change is long overdue.

Back