Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Service Interval Observation.

I think that is good advice. Just sold as virtual scrap a Seat Arosa with only 49K on the clock not so long after purchase. A very long list of small underuse type faults kept developing which would have cost a mint to fix - better to take the hit: and use the Cali more! It's easier to park than other people think.

And back to the subject - FWIW my Cali now has about 8500K after its first year. Minded to get the oil changed because it is one year on but more because it is such an inky black colour. It went to this deep black very on, indeed maybe it was ever thus, much more than other vehicles I've had over the last 40 (gulp) years. Is this typical? The garage wasn't too phased so neither am I, but I'd be interested to know others' experience. Perhaps I just need to get used to a new normal, or perhaps this oil change is long overdue.
Goes black very quickly. I will get my California serviced at 1 year or 20,000 miles which ever comes first. But, I did do 20,000 miles in 1st year.

Now,

I know that I am deemed to be ever so slightly nuts...

but..

When my Red light came on last year in Scotland, leaving me to hunt down the local, very helpful, VW dealership in Elgin (where I looked for some marbles to replace my own lost ones), the man dumped about £30 pounds worth of oil into my vehicle.

Therefore, I have reasoned, my next oil change will happen on an annual basis. That will be around 15,000 miles based on current average, and will save me spending £30 on top up oil only to see most of it drained away in the next 5,000 miles.

Naturally I will not wait for the red light to be my indicator of when to add a little in the interim. The nice man in Elgin kindly showed me where the dipstick was .... ( not the one sat in the drivers seat :oops: ).

Think you have an excessive oil consumption problem if you're topping up £30.00 worth of oil in 5000 miles :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you maybe missed a "don't" out above? .

Think you have an excessive oil consumption problem if you're topping up £30.00 worth of oil in 5000 miles :-(

You obviously have not been following GrannyJen's adventure. :)

Difficult to say how much oil Jen's van is using as no actual quantity stated and how long ago her previous service was. Please don't skimp on the service as there's more to servicing vehicles than just changing the engine oil and filter.

On one of her adventures, the Oil Light came on at 15,000 miles. Local VW garage topped it up -hence £30, then 5,000 miles later Service and Oil Change.
So if she has oil change at 15,000 miles no top-up required.
Remember the VW mechanic did show her where the dipstick was.;)

15,000 miles. The first top up from new. According to the service manager who attended to the damsel in distress the normal range would be between 12-14,000 miles so doing well.

Difficult to say how much oil Jen's van is using as no actual quantity stated and how long ago her previous service was. Please don't skimp on the service as there's more to servicing vehicles than just changing the engine oil and filter.

I do not intend to skimp on the service.

I am talking about having it serviced within the recommended interval, 15,000 miles instead of 20,000.

Apart from anything else my service book is quite important to me as I do intend to sell the vehicle on at some point and I do appreciate the validity of an FSH. :D

Last edited:
No chance.
All my vehicles are serviced every year or 12 000 miles which ever comes sooner. Oil changes are a cheap preventive measure which bests protect the engine. Would never base my servicing regime on what some sensor tells me:talktothehand
I learned from my vw garage owner and driving 2 transporters during 16 years before the cali it is a choice you make : change oil more frequently with lower grade (lower cost) oil or change it less frequently with high grade (high cost) oil. If you don't drive many miles a year you may prefer to get a yearly checkup independent of mileage for many reasons (winter checkup.. tire change ..), in that case fill up with the cheaper oil. And never partially fill up with other grade oil than it was originall filled up with, don't mix . I go for a yearly checkup because in Belgium a camper with towbar needs a official yearly vehicle inspection anyway. If I remember well the max interval of 2 years is for changing the oil from the brake circuit among other things because it collects water in a long period of time .

I learned from my vw garage owner and driving 2 transporters during 16 years before the cali it is a choice you make : change oil more frequently with lower grade (lower cost) oil or change it less frequently with high grade (high cost) oil. If you don't drive many miles a year you may prefer to get a yearly checkup independent of mileage for many reasons (winter checkup.. tire change ..), in that case fill up with the cheaper oil. And never partially fill up with other grade oil than it was originall filled up with, don't mix . I go for a yearly checkup because in Belgium a camper with towbar needs a official yearly vehicle inspection anyway. If I remember well the max interval of 2 years is for changing the oil from the brake circuit among other things because it collects water in a long period of time .

Or use premium oil every 12 months as i do. No point in sticking lower grade oil in the engine no matter what the regime is...???

Or use premium oil every 12 months as i do. No point in sticking lower grade oil in the engine no matter what the regime is...???
The price difference is considerable ..why trow away hard earned money ?

I need to top up my oil as the yellow light came on and went off twice yesterday and it's very low on the dip stick. I read in the manual it has long life oil and it gave VW part numbers, not grades or even makes. The dealer is nearly an hours drive away so would rather buy enough to top it up before its next service which is due in September.

Can someone advise what to use ?

TIA

It doesn't matter what the make of the oil is, as long as it meets VW long life 507 requirements.
You'll need to read the blurb.
I've got some at home I can look up what I've got later and I'll post it on here.

Sent from my Galaxy S6

I just went on amazon and searched "VW long life 507 oil".
First result was Castrol edge long life which is 507 00 compatible

Sent from my Galaxy S6

Thanks guys I just called out local motor factors and they have Mobil One and another brand Ive never heard of, both exceed the requirements of VW Longline 507.

Why wait for the light to come on, i check my oil, windscreen washer fluid, power steering fluid, brake fluid and tyre pressure eery week, oh i also run internal heater and air con weekly.

John

Shell Helix

Ultra AVL

507 -00

5W30

The price of oil is insignificant compared to any engine troubles.
Maybe I expressed myself not well enough: the more expensive oil is not better for the engine only longer lifetime before it needs replacement. I agree with you one must use the best quality parts and product one can afford, after all it's all about keeping the cali in best condition possible.

Why wait for the light to come on, i check my oil, windscreen washer fluid, power steering fluid, brake fluid and tyre pressure eery week, oh i also run internal heater and air con weekly.

John
I didn't wait for the light, as such but after checking for the last 21,000 miles and not ever needing a top up, I gave up checking. I will resume regular oil checks along with tyre pressures etc.

I shan't bother checking power steering fluid as 1988 in a Vauxhall Cavalier that had done 100,000 miles was the last time I needed to top that up.

Interesting observation. I had my 1st Service at 20,000 miles and exactly 12months after purchase.

Following the service , after about 300 miles, the Service Information on the MFD showed 19,600 miles to next Oil Change and 663 Days.

I've now covered 8,000 miles since that service, in 15 weeks, mostly long motorway trips 300/350 miles round trips at motorway speeds.

Today, the MFD Service Information shows 18,670 miles to next Oil Change and 636 days.

What does this show? Well I think it shows that Oil Contamination is reduced if you run the engine at the correct temperature and reasonable speed and distance rather than short trips at variable speed.

Oil consumption, now that it is almost run in, is 500 mls/ 8000 miles ( 12,800 kms).

The next service will be at 40,000 miles or 24 months ( from purchase ) whichever comes first.

Does the sensor change the mileage to change, or the time to change the oil.
I presumed it was mileage, but mine, a 2015 180DSG has suddenly décidé there are only 21 days or 11,200 miles to an oil change. 160 days 17466 miles to inspection.
It last had a long life oil service 12/7/17 at 7479 miles ago.( at 11753 miles)
I was planning on the service and change 12/7/19, in 160 days ( and about 10,000 miles since the last one.......I don’t do many short runs.....
Can anyone explain?? And should I go in 21 days?

There are two things that may be relevant,,,,,it is very cold...I’ve done a couple of short drives manoevering the van. I also plugged in Carista ( no faults) but did no changes.

Back