service costs oil change

Its a VW............ buy a service pack. I'm paying less for two services.

Saying that I just paid them £680 for service items outside of the engine oil change.

DSG oil change / brake fluid and a DSG sump cover.

I had the same recently and the cost was similar. A couple of days later the ad blue pump went. Fortunately I had the extended warranty. The cost of the pump alone would have been £360 plus vat and fitting. The can us 3 years old and had done 10,000 miles. I will be going to my independent mechanic next time.

Yes but finding a trusted one.....I think a better option is to build a garage and put a 2 poster in. I told the Mrs that I'm doing this when I retire

I do my own servicing on the Volvo. In comparison I hate working on the Cali

I guess you have to balance the indy vs franchise routes. In warranty I'd always say go franchise, it protects you more and removes any wiggle room if something goes wrong. Out of warranty a good indy can be cheaper, but a good franchise can be more beneficial in the long run.

All that said, 410 seems a little steep and the @pjm-84 recommendation for a service plan a sound one. 55 quid of that is the MOT, so it's 360. They haven't tacked on air con or brakes have they, which is a trend nowadays? Their national prices are below, so there is a discrepancy of about 75 quid.

1728467710093.png

I've used my independent mechanic for over 30 years. He collects my car and returns it. Does a great job at low cost and apologises when he has to replace parts. He is worth his weight in gold. I'm not sure what I will do when he eventually retires.

No it’s still expensive independent local to me with an excellent reputation will charge 170£ for the same service and mot and I have more faith in them than vw

If I was that precious about saving a few quid I'd do it myself.

If it's £417 for a service & MOT I would rather pay the extra £106 for all in & have the warranty & european breakdown cover. Despite never having any mechanical failures on my vans I wouldn't want to be without warranty cover if its available at a reasonable rate.

That's an oil change for £355, basically, which seems bonkers. After the cost of oil and filter, that's about £1000 hr, and that's if the person doing the work moves like molasses.

No it’s still expensive independent local to me with an excellent reputation will charge 170£ for the same service and mot and I have more faith in them than vw
So get it done there?

Agree with others that an All In One plan is good value especially if you take the van to the Continent. I wouldn’t go near a VW dealer for routine maintenance otherwise!

The ‘visual check’ is just code for we will search for anything we think we might be able to charge extra for! The favourite being recommending changing brake pads/discs that have 000’s of miles wear left in them…

The visual checks are very funny.

We had a VW car with a lot of red warnings , all requiring urgent work. We said fine, get on and do it, as its covered under the VW maintenace agreement as part of the lease.......and they then all oddly disappeared......aparently VW lease has a different standard for their maintenance requirements.

If I was that precious about saving a few quid I'd do it myself.

If it's £417 for a service & MOT I would rather pay the extra £106 for all in & have the warranty & european breakdown cover. Despite never having any mechanical failures on my vans I wouldn't want to be without warranty cover if its available at a reasonable rate.
You have a point not sure how this works if you still have 1 year left on the 5 year service plan

You have a point not sure how this works if you still have 1 year left on the 5 year service plan
If you've got a year left on the service plan why would you paying for a service?

Back