Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Service Plans

If you do low miles you should have an annual service, high miles every 2 years?!
Yep, lower miles, typically shorter journeys more stop start. The long life service regime suits fleet vans doing high miles, keeps running costs lower. Your Cali, your choice!
If I was looking at a 3 year old Cali that had done 23000 miles and had one service/oil change I’d think twice.

Just to update. I had clarity from VW Finance that the 4 service deal we bought for abut £425 will last for 8 years, 2 minor and 2 major services taken every other year. I think that's a good deal.
Does anyone recommend an annual oil change? If VW have this happening every 2 years that should be fine?

Don’t listen to VW finance - they know little/nothing.

Year 1 - inspection
Year 2 - service
Year 3 - inspection/MOT
Year 4 - service/MOT

OR

16,000mi/25,000km - inspection
32,000/50,000 - service
48,000/75,000 - inspection
64,000/100,000 - service

Whichever comes sooner.

And that’s your £425 spent.

I don’t believe for one second that ~£50 per year can possibly be sufficient for basic servicing.

Last edited:
Don’t listen to VW finance - they know little/nothing.

Year 1 - inspection
Year 2 - service
Year 3 - inspection/MOT
Year 4 - service/MOT

OR

16,000mi/25,000km - inspection
32,000/50,000 - service
48,000/75,000 - inspection
64,000/100,000 - service

Whichever comes sooner.

And that’s your £425 spent.

I don’t believe for one second that ~£50 per year can possibly be sufficient for basic servicing.
VW Finance state that they recommend annual or bi-annual services. I'll check that with the servicing dealer at the time based on mile driven. Either way 4 services at £100 each feels good to me.

VW Finance state that they recommend annual or bi-annual services. I'll check that with the servicing dealer at the time based on mile driven. Either way 4 services at £100 each feels good to me.
Don't forget the other service items Not covered in these service plans.

It’s £425 plus VAT so £510.

The minor service is little more than an inspection, you might get washer fluid topped up, but please don’t expect oil and filter change.

But I heartedly agree. £425 for four years basic servicing is excellent value. Expect a DSG service bill at some stage.

The minor service is little more than an inspection, you might get washer fluid topped up, but please don’t expect oil and filter change.
The minor service is an oil & filter change.

From VWs website:
Minor Service:
Oil & filter change.
Vehicle inspection and report including all lights, instruments, bodywork, glass, locks, battery, coolant level, drive belts, braking system, steering, hoses, drive shafts and exhaust system.
Wash and vacuum.
Full vehicle road test.
Diagnostic check including report.

For info the major is:
Major Service:
Oil & filter change
Replace pollen filter
Vehicle inspection and report to include all lights, instruments, bodywork, glass, locks, battery, coolant level, drive belts, braking system, steering, hoses, drive shafts,
exhaust system, spark plugs (petrol engine) or fuel filter (diesel engine), remove wheels and check brakes, check/adjust tension on all drive belts, check gearbox oil level and check final drive oil level.
Wash and vacuum
Replace air filter
Full vehicle road test
Diagnostic check including report
Re-set service interval display
Volkswagen stamp in service book

Cost below for other service items:Volkswagen Fixed Price Servicing Costs

Servicing Required Cost Details
MOT £54.85 We check the following as part of your MOT test: body and vehicle structure, fuel system, exhaust emissions, exhaust system, seat belts, seats, doors, mirrors, load security (boot lid or hatch), brakes, tyres and wheels, registration plates, lights, bonnet catch, wipers and washers, windscreen, horn, steering and suspension and vehicle identification number (VIN).

Minor service From £184 A minor service prevents little problems turning into big ones. The recommended service interval is every 12 months or 10,000 miles (whichever comes first).

Major service From £354 A major service ensures your car continues to run smoothly. The recommended service interval is every 24 months or 20,000 miles (whichever comes first).

Cambelt £494 Not changing your cambelt can damage your engine so ensure you bring it in to us.

Cambelt with water pump £549 Your water pump is driven by the cambelt and provides circulation of fluids which cool your engine. If you water pump seizes, the cambelt can stop suddenly and break, so completing both changes at the same time is cost-effective and offers peace of mind.

Front brake pads £169 Worn brake pads can affect your car's stopping distance, so bring your car in and we can check them over.

Rear brake pads £139 As worn brake pads are dangerous, bring your car in and we can check they're working effectively.

Front brake pads & discs £319 Both discs and pads can wear and corrode, so for your safety they need to be regularly checked.

Brake fluid change £69 Moisture can get into your brake fluid which makes it less effective. We'll be more than happy to change it for you.

DSG oil change £199 Old oil can really damage your gearbox if left unchanged, so we can check it for leaks, drain it and replace the oil filter before filling it with high quality gearbox oil.

Four wheel drive oil change £79 Oil oil causes damage, so we’ll remove the oil from your vehicle's system and replace it with fresh oil of the correct grade to the correct level.

Air-conditioning Service, including refresh (R134a or R1234yf air-con gas) £139 Your air conditioning system can lose up to 10 percent of its gas each year and if unreplaced, it's less effective. Bring your car in for a top up.

Air-conditioning refresh £29 Your air con system can become full of bacterial and fungal contamination which smells bad and leads to poor airflow. A refresh treatment disinfects the evaporator and air ducts and results in the return of fresh, clean air.

The minor service is an oil & filter change.

From VWs website:
Minor Service:
Oil & filter change.
Vehicle inspection and report including all lights, instruments, bodywork, glass, locks, battery, coolant level, drive belts, braking system, steering, hoses, drive shafts and exhaust system.
Wash and vacuum.
Full vehicle road test.
Diagnostic check including report.

For info the major is:
Major Service:
Oil & filter change
Replace pollen filter
Vehicle inspection and report to include all lights, instruments, bodywork, glass, locks, battery, coolant level, drive belts, braking system, steering, hoses, drive shafts,
exhaust system, spark plugs (petrol engine) or fuel filter (diesel engine), remove wheels and check brakes, check/adjust tension on all drive belts, check gearbox oil level and check final drive oil level.
Wash and vacuum
Replace air filter
Full vehicle road test
Diagnostic check including report
Re-set service interval display
Volkswagen stamp in service book

Very informative reply Andy. And it shows that the four service plan really is excellent value for money.

Hi Alison, did you get anywhere with Clarks on the service cost? If not, what have you gone for?
Thanks for the reminder. Yes, I had email confirmation this week that I have the factory extended warranty (5 years and 80k) for £329 plus VAT, and the 4 services for £425 plus VAT (I chose the 10000m and 1 year).

Thanks for the reminder. Yes, I had email confirmation this week that I have the factory extended warranty (5 years and 80k) for £329 plus VAT, and the 4 services for £425 plus VAT (I chose the 10000m and 1 year).
Thanks for the quick reply. Somehow didn't think they would agree to the special offer on service cost, shame on VW for being quite vague in its application, but based on standalone service costs I think you got a good deal nonetheless. I think we will do similar as it provides good value and peace of mind.

Thanks for the quick reply. Somehow didn't think they would agree to the special offer on service cost, shame on VW for being quite vague in its application, but based on standalone service costs I think you got a good deal nonetheless. I think we will do similar as it provides good value and peace of mind.
They contacted VW to confirm it after initially saying it was only available with finance. So thanks to @andyinluton for sharing the details I asked them to check.
Very pleased they did.
Let me know how you get on.

Alisons deal actually still works out cheaper than the £99 deal in the long run. Thats unless I can find a blackfriday deal for the 3rd & 4th services.

Alisons deal actually still works out cheaper than the £99 deal in the long run. Thats unless I can find a blackfriday deal for the 3rd & 4th services.
I think we are proving, yet again, the value of being on the forum.
Last handover my sales man was unable to answer questions that I could.
This time he said, Alison you know more about this vehicle than I do.
I also know he and his wife were hoping to buy one, but the finances wouldn’t stretch so they went for a small big white instead.
Seriously, VW... give him a camper to loan, love, buy at a discount, use, experience... and you would have the best dealership in Scotland.
Just my opinion so happy to be moderated...

Hi Alison,

Did you arrange the 2 year warranty extension yourself or did the dealer have to to do it for you. They have advised that I have to do it myself via "Das Welt"?!, which doesn't sound right.

Thanks

Hi Alison,

Did you arrange the 2 year warranty extension yourself or did the dealer have to to do it for you. They have advised that I have to do it myself via "Das Welt"?!, which doesn't sound right.

Thanks
The dealer needs to arrange the extended warranty (it needs to be within 3 months of collection).
I also had the ‘you need to do it yourself’ at first pick up 5 years ago... handover took a long time as I stuck to my guns whilst they ‘investigated’ and finally agreed to it.
This time they sorted it straight away.

The dealer needs to arrange the extended warranty (it needs to be within 3 months of collection).
I also had the ‘you need to do it yourself’ at first pick up 5 years ago... handover took a long time as I stuck to my guns whilst they ‘investigated’ and finally agreed to it.
This time they sorted it straight away.
Thanks for the quick response. I got the feeling that I was being brushed off. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Thanks for the quick response. I got the feeling that I was being brushed off. I'll give them a call tomorrow.
Let us know how it goes, please.

Let us know how it goes, please.
This reluctance to offer the extended warranty is puzzling, it should be one of the main advantages of buying new and yet it is ignored/avoided by many dealers.
Could it be that VWUK warranty rates are so miserly that the dealers rely on the eyewatering cost of retail repairs to ensure their profit levels are maintained?

Back