Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Side bars and wind deflectors for 6.1 ocean

Have used the Heko for prob 10 months now and not noticed any reduction in wind noise when fitted pretty much same with / without. No issues with the clips has been perfect since fitting (also quick vid i did when i first fitted) - looks good and stops drips into cabin or helps vent if you want to keep windows down slighly while camping.
Mine lasted over a year before dropping. They were awesome until that moment :D

Re wind noise. Does a Cali have the additional door seals? If not I'll post a photo of where to fit the adhesive ones which do stop a lot of noise.
The extra rubber seal is fitted standard on Calis and carvelles.

Was looking at the OEM VW ones a bit earlier but not sure how the adhesive tape holds up long term.

Will be sending my van in to the local converter in a couple of weeks to fit a bike rack so will probably ask them to do a proper job with the wind reflectors and a rear tailgate bumper protector as well.
I’ve got VW stick on deflectors on my van, 12 years so far with no problems.

Was looking at the OEM VW ones a bit earlier but not sure how the adhesive tape holds up long term.

Will be sending my van in to the local converter in a couple of weeks to fit a bike rack so will probably ask them to do a proper job with the wind reflectors and a rear tailgate bumper protector as well.
OEM stick ons, had mine for 6 years with no problems.

Re wind noise. Does a Cali have the additional door seals? If not I'll post a photo of where to fit the adhesive ones which do stop a lot of noise.
The California does have the additional door seal fitted.

So thanks to Amazon Prime (poor employer ethics aside, I do love next day delivery on a impulse purchase at 23:05 the night before). Link to the ones shown below here:

Heko: https://amzn.to/48xYwUQ
ClimAir: https://amzn.to/47Byhve

Comparing the two (NOTE - ClimAirs have only been test-fitted, not fully fitted) - ClimAir Sport (Black) on the top, Heko on the bottom:
113.jpgHeko:
Fitting:

Clip in place - general consenus is that you need MORE clips than provided for them to stay safely in long term (source - some cases of them falling out after 12-18 months on a variety of forums (including my own experience)). However other than that, they do a damn good job. Also nice that there's no permanent (?) damage to the vehicle; albeit good luck getting those clips back out hurhurhur. Depending on fitment etc, you can end up scuffing the mirror mount fascia with the sharp lower corner with wind vibration etc.
Visual:
Heko's have a slightly different shape than the ClimAirs. They have a slight cutout around the wing mirror section. Small/insignificant logo markings. The Hekos have a slight brown/red hue to their tint. Colour comparison: 115.jpgSize:
A little smaller in their overall depth compared to ClimAirs but also protrude more too. Certainly when I had my Hekos on, there was a fairly noticable increase in wind noise.

ClimAir:
Fitting:

Slot in place and retain with a rubber foot slotted inside a retention bracket with one incredibly tiny screw (imagine your kid's most annoying battery operated toy; it's that thing's battery compartment screw). That said, far more confidence with fitting longevity. Downside is; you're drilling part of your van (albeit only a replacable plastic fascia).
Visual:
As mentioned, slightly different shape around the mirror; but equally more of a curve to it too, giving a less angular look and more inkeeping with some of the body panels in my opinion. Sadly though, the ClimAir sticker looks like something you'd see on some 90's tennis apparell, and far less subtle as Hekos. And cant see how you'd remove it either. The ClimAirs (Sports - so the blackest ones) have a more natural grey tint than the Hekos. Colour comparison: 114.jpgSize:
Being slightly deeper means the ClimAirs can allow the windows to open more without buffeting from wind (or being open more when parked up and allowing more airflow). They also hug the van a bit closer too, so less noise I suspect (not yet test driven).

Some pictures for those who are as dull as me:

Example of the ClimAir on the van (plenty of Heko examples out there too).
112.jpg

ClimAir tint from drivers view: 111.jpg

So thanks to Amazon Prime (poor employer ethics aside, I do love next day delivery on a impulse purchase at 23:05 the night before). Link to the ones shown below here:

Comparing the two (NOTE - ClimAirs have only been test-fitted, not fully fitted) - ClimAir Sport (Black) on the top, Heko on the bottom:
View attachment 118146Heko:
Fitting:

Clip in place - general consenus is that you need MORE clips than provided for them to stay safely in long term (source - some cases of them falling out after 12-18 months on a variety of forums (including my own experience)). However other than that, they do a damn good job. Also nice that there's no permanent (?) damage to the vehicle; albeit good luck getting those clips back out hurhurhur. Depending on fitment etc, you can end up scuffing the mirror mount fascia with the sharp lower corner with wind vibration etc.
Visual:
Heko's have a slightly different shape than the ClimAirs. They have a slight cutout around the wing mirror section. Small/insignificant logo markings. The Hekos have a slight brown/red hue to their tint. Colour comparison: View attachment 118147Size:
A little smaller in their overall depth compared to ClimAirs but also protrude more too. Certainly when I had my Hekos on, there was a fairly noticable increase in wind noise.

ClimAir:
Fitting:

Slot in place and retain with a rubber foot slotted inside a retention bracket with one incredibly tiny screw (imagine your kid's most annoying battery operated toy; it's that thing's battery compartment screw). That said, far more confidence with fitting longevity. Downside is; you're drilling part of your van (albeit only a replacable plastic fascia).
Visual:
As mentioned, slightly different shape around the mirror; but equally more of a curve to it too, giving a less angular look and more inkeeping with some of the body panels in my opinion. Sadly though, the ClimAir sticker looks like something you'd see on some 90's tennis apparell, and far less subtle as Hekos. And cant see how you'd remove it either. The ClimAirs (Sports - so the blackest ones) have a more natural grey tint than the Hekos. Colour comparison: View attachment 118148Size:
Being slightly deeper means the ClimAirs can allow the windows to open more without buffeting from wind (or being open more when parked up and allowing more airflow). They also hug the van a bit closer too, so less noise I suspect (not yet test driven).

View attachment 118149

ClimAir tint from drivers view: View attachment 118150
As I mentioned. The climairs can be installed without resorting to screws. They are perfectly secure as the screw merely acts as a secondary securing role.

As I mentioned. The climairs can be installed without resorting to screws. They are perfectly secure as the screw merely acts as a secondary securing role.
Well without the screw, they dont stay in - so it's a primary securing point. Without it, they slide out and down. And given that even 3M tape perishes, especially when exposed to the elements (wind, rain, frost, sun etc), then I'm not sure I want that risk. We'll see how I feel when I fit them.

Nothing quite prepares you for the anquish when you remotely open your windows as you approach the van, and seeing see a wind deflector drop from a window and scratch the van (albeit now fixed). Erring on the side of caution with these.

Well without the screw, they dont stay in - so it's a primary securing point. Without it, they slide out and down. And given that even 3M tape perishes, especially when exposed to the elements (wind, rain, frost, sun etc), then I'm not sure I want that risk. We'll see how I feel when I fit them.

Nothing quite prepares you for the anquish when you remotely open your windows as you approach the van, and seeing see a wind deflector drop from a window and scratch the van (albeit now fixed). Erring on the side of caution with these.
Mine stayed in without the screws, and stabilised by strong adhesive tape. 7k km later and after several storms and strong winds they are still there. If I was concerned I would just replace the tape at the beginning of each year. Screwing into the fascia is an option but one I hope to avoid.

As I said earlier, I have the stuck on versions which were genuine VW items for a T5. These have been in place for over six years and 82,000miles always out either mobile or parked in all weather conditions including hotter than UK summers when on holiday in Europe without coming off the vehicle. Cleaning the painted surface as near perfect as possible is the key to ensuring that these items stay in place.

come on guys, I'm not a fun of drilling the van anyway, but for ClimAir is a veery tiny hole in a plastic fascia that I marked with a red hot nail to melt just a little bit and then screwed in, you won't even notice it after, as the screw head is black.
however, you have to keep the windows closed with the wind deflectors in place for 24 hours to further fix it in the inner window rubber seal.
and they will stay put for ever, and looking great.
lot better than Heko.

come on guys, I'm not a fun of drilling the van anyway, but for ClimAir is a veery tiny hole in a plastic fascia that I marked with a red hot nail to melt just a little bit and then screwed in, you won't even notice it after, as the screw head is black.
however, you have to keep the windows closed with the wind deflectors in place for 24 hours to further fix it in the inner window rubber seal.
and they will stay put for ever, and looking great.
lot better than Heko.
I'm planning to fit mine later today or perhaps tomorrow during lunch and might try to pull a video together.

Another consideration (uneducated as i've not tried to fit them yet obviously) is that the3M tape will have a certain degree of thickness, whereas the metal brackets sit flush against the plastic door fascia. Part of me thinks a screw might be the lesser of two evils from a visual/aesthetic perspective, rather than the metal bracket sitting proud ontop of some 3M tape.

Time will tell.

however, you have to keep the windows closed with the wind deflectors in place for 24 hours to further fix it in the window kedder.

View attachment 118146Heko:
Fitting:

Visual:
Heko's have a slightly different shape than the ClimAirs. They have a slight cutout around the wing mirror section. Small/insignificant logo markings. The Hekos have a slight brown/red hue to their tint. Colour comparison: View attachment 118147Size:

ClimAir:
Fitting:

Visual:
As mentioned, slightly different shape around the mirror; but equally more of a curve to it too, giving a less angular look and more inkeeping with some of the body panels in my opinion. Sadly though, the ClimAir sticker looks like something you'd see on some 90's tennis apparell, and far less subtle as Hekos. And cant see how you'd remove it either. The ClimAirs (Sports - so the blackest ones) have a more natural grey tint than the Hekos. Colour comparison: View attachment 118148Size:

View attachment 118149

ClimAir tint from drivers view: View attachment 118150
Sadly though, the ClimAir sticker looks like something you'd see on some 90's tennis apparell, and far less subtle as Hekos. And cant see how you'd remove it either.
I have the same issue with the "grossier" logo, but I did not dare trying to remove it as I was afraid ruining the surface which seems pretty delicate.
you will eventually get used with it.

I'm planning to fit mine later today or perhaps tomorrow during lunch and might try to pull a video together.

Another consideration (uneducated as i've not tried to fit them yet obviously) is that the3M tape will have a certain degree of thickness, whereas the metal brackets sit flush against the plastic door fascia. Part of me thinks a screw might be the lesser of two evils from a visual/aesthetic perspective, rather than the metal bracket sitting proud ontop of some 3M tape.

Time will tell.
The 3M command tape is virtually flat and transparent. No issues with aesthetics

the above post was somehow mysteriously mixed up.
what I was to say:
I have the same issue with the "grossier" logo, but I did not dare trying to remove it as I was afraid ruining the surface which seems pretty delicate.

however, you have to keep the windows closed with the wind deflectors in place for 24 hours to further fix it in the window kedder.

Maybe the logo is more obvious on the dark smoke version. I have the light smoke and I can honestly say I haven't even noticed the logo since the deflectors were installed.

Maybe the logo is more obvious on the dark smoke version. I have the light smoke and I can honestly say I haven't even noticed the logo since the deflectors were installed.
right, the Sport version got a bigger logo with sport add on it, and whiter.

This is the one I got yesterday - black version (both sides). Also for others, the size of the screw + mounting pieces versus a bog standard lighter. A little screw versus the size of the mounting unit is somewhat inconcequential i'd say. 135.jpg134.jpg133.jpg

Got a link to the one you're using? The one I have is the slightly thicker spongier kind.
I currently use the 3M command strips cut to the same dimensions of the metal 'foot'. If I think it needs replacing I will use some of this adhesive from Tesa. Not sure if this is available in the UK, but it works on the same principle as command tape but thinner (probably 1/4 of the 3M stuff), more flexible and transparent.

The Climair's integrate nicely into the contours of the Cali and are very unobtrusive.
IMG_5645-4.jpeg

Back